Women's World Cup Qualification 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I've just remembered something about the build up to this on radio 5. They had a woman presenter talking to a former England Women's player who was punditting and they talked about how Jayne Ludlow had chosen to make the Newport pitch as narrow as possible and had brought the bylines in so that there were grass tramlines along the side and behind the goals.

Having seen that pitch I'm pretty sure that extra grass is there because they also play rugby on it and you need extra grass behind the goal line for rugby. Newport play their games with the extra grass there, so it clearly wasn't Ludlow conniving with the groundsman to limit England's wide game.

It was such a nonsense discussion. There's an unreconstructed part of me that wonders if male commentators would have realised the rugby link and not even brought up the issue.
    There were definitely washed out football markings on the edge of the pitch fwiw. I was near the corner, and you could see the quadrant for corner kicks.

Comment

Well that's odd. I was sat near a corner a couple of weeks ago and didn't see any. Although I wasn't really looking for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Well that's odd. I was sat near a corner a couple of weeks ago and didn't see any. Although I wasn't really looking for them.
        You can see on the photos here

https://twitter.com/SuzyWrack/status...94036441231360

Comment

Oh, OK, that does look different.

Comment

The Canada v Brazil match was the first I've watched since Kenneth Heiner-Møller became Canada's coach. There's a marked difference over Herdman's approach. Mainly the pace is much faster, from the midfield players especially. Hard to judge from one performance, especially a pre-tournament friendly, but it looks like an overall improvement. Canada won 1-0 btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
              There were definitely washed out football markings on the edge of the pitch fwiw. I was near the corner, and you could see the quadrant for corner kicks.
              When Reading Women played their last game of the season at Madejski Stadium (they normally play at Adams Park) they had the pitch brought in so it matched the dimensions of their Adams Park pitch. It's pretty common practice isn't it? Also, if you're underdogs you're going to try and make the pitch as small as possible!

Early December the hosts for Euro 2021 are announced - and from what I read England are the only country to submit a bid. Draw for the qualifiers in Feb. At least means Wales won't come up against England in qualification again.

Quite worried that after Tuesday night's games if Wales don't sneak a PO spot it may see Fishlock retire.

Comment

I expressed the same concern near the end of Friday's game but the bloke next to me assured me it wouldn't happen.

Comment

Hmm Funky music on the red button, but no pictures from Kazakhstan, so I might have to watch the Scotland game on BBC Alba.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcalba for the Scotland game.

Comment

Belgium and Czechia both ahead already.

Comment

Kim Little opens the scoring as she closes in on 50 goals for Scotland.

https://twitter.com/bbcalba/status/1036996617872728067

https://twitter.com/bbcalba/status/1036996617872728067
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 04-09-2018, 15:21.

Comment

Best not rely on Wiki - according to the SFA she already has 50, and that made it 51.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            I expressed the same concern near the end of Friday's game but the bloke next to me assured me it wouldn't happen.
                            Can't believe I've been relegated to 'bloke next to me' status.

I think she'd at least hang on for one more go at a tournament having got the closest she has thus far and with things generally looking positive. She's always been so committed to the Welsh team that I think it would be an odd time to step away.

Comment

Of course, Scotland scoring before Switzerland means that they are currently top of the live table, relying on Poland avoiding defeat at home to Swiss. Attempts to track down a stream of that match have so far been fruitless though.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                Belgium and Czechia both ahead already.
                                The Czechia goal is important for Wales, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                  The Czechia goal is important for Wales, isn't it?
                                  Yes - Wales need Belgium and Iceland to both lose.

Italy have scored a penalty to level things in the Belgium game too so things looking positive as things stand.

(as i type belgium score a second...)

Comment

Norway beating the European champions and lead the group as it stands.

Comment

Scotland concede the equaliser before half time.

https://twitter.com/bbcalba/status/1...639653888?s=19
                                      https://twitter.com/bbcalba/status/1037006196639653888?s=19
                                      Last edited by Kevin S; 04-09-2018, 15:59.

Comment

Not only have I had to google the rules around qualification I’ve even had to google one of the entrants. Czechia?

Edit: disappointing. I was hoping it might simply be the female noun form.

Comment

Iceland have just equalised against Czechia and Belgium still looking strong against Italy so it's not going to happen...

Comment

Well done Scotland

Comment

Holland and Denmark (the Euro finalists) both fail to win their groups and get automatic qualifying.

Comment

YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Amazing stuff, and richly deserved. I can't remember the last time I saw a more determined team.

Comment

Brilliant stuff

Comment

Working...
                                                    X