No announcement yet.

World Cup Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garcia's piece reminded me that my relative ignorance of Denmark's squad led to some confusion about a player called Thomas Delaney playing against Ireland. I've since found out about the American grandfather he is named after.

Comment

With Italy out is Tim Cahill going to be the oldest player at the Finals?

Comment

Yes, I'd go for that five man midfield also, but obviously Hoolahan will have to be replaced by somebody else. O'Kane or Hourihane might be possible, but I don't know much about them.

Arter, McCarthy and Hendrick in a diamond in the centre of a five man midfield would be good. The three of them are tidy midfielders who would be able to pass to each other. And Arter and McCarthy both have experience in doing defensive midfield work, so there would be no need to play Meyler.

Comment

Pottery info here - assume this is reliable?

http://www.footballseeding.com/inter...orld-cup-2018/

Comment

Rogin, Egypt’s goalkeeper El-Hadary will be 45 by the time the tournament starts.

Comment

If Peru go through:

Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4
              Russia Spain Denmark Serbia
              Germany Peru Iceland Nigeria
              Brazil Switzerland Costa Rica Australia
              Portugal England Sweden Japan
              Argentina Colombia Tunisia Morocco
              Belgium Mexico Egypt Panama
              Poland Uruguay Senegal South Korea
              France Croatia Iran Saudi Arabia

If New Zealand go through
              Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4
              Russia Spain Iceland Nigeria
              Germany Switzerland Costa Rica Australia
              Brazil England Sweden Japan
              Portugal Colombia Tunisia Morocco
              Argentina Mexico Egypt Panama
              Belgium Uruguay Senegal South Korea
              Poland Croatia Iran Saudi Arabia
              France Denmark Serbia New Zealand

One team from each of the four pots makes a group.
              Maximum of two teams in black can be in the same group, but otherwise no two teams in the same colour can share a group.
              Last edited by Kevin S; 15-11-2017, 14:48.

Comment

Russia, Denmark, Iran, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                  Pottery info here - assume this is reliable?

http://www.footballseeding.com/inter...orld-cup-2018/
                  How did Poland get into Pot 1??

Comment

Poland, FIFA ranking

Comment

Moved up from 15th at the start of the year to 6th, with five wins, one draw and no defeats in 2017.

edit - wrong column - five wins and one defeat.

Comment

Those 2017 results in full:

POLAND 4-2 MONTENEGRO
                        ARMENIA 1-6 POLAND
                        POLAND 3-0 KAZAKHSTAN
                        DENMARK 4-0 POLAND (err, ok then, sixth best team in the world...)
                        POLAND 3-1 ROMANIA
                        MONTENEGRO 1-2 POLAND

Comment

it maketh no sense

Comment

So the two most recent world champions could be drawn in the same group?

Comment

Certainly didn't happen, at any rate.

Comment

Sorry lads. Couldn't resist an awful pun. 12:55 = five to one.

Comment

I'd quite like an acrostic group of

France
                                  Uruguay
                                  Costa Rica
                                  Korea Rep

Comment

Arse (Australia, Russia, Senegal, England)

Pigs (Peru, Iceland, Germany, Saudi)

Dung (Denmark, Uruguay, Nigeria, Germany)

Comment

My favourite was in 1978: Peru, Iran, Scotland, Holland - PISH, which was exactly how our performances against the first two turned out.
                                      Last edited by blameless; 15-11-2017, 14:57.

Comment

I have an overwhelming sense of foreboding that it's going to be Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria again

Comment

Costa Rica
                                          Russia
                                          Australia
                                          Peru

Comment

I would object that this thread has become nothing more than acrostic groups but it gives me an excuse to dig this out ;

Comment

The Alternative Facts World Cup!

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                The USA must be truly shit to have finished behind Panama and Honduras. CONCACAF seems to be going backwards. Their current allocation seems to be 1.5 too many, although I wouldn't say that anyone who was eliminated in the other federations necessarily deserves the place. The expansion to 48 will presumably solve Africa's tendency to not always send their best 5 teams. I don't think their record merits more than their 5/32 allocation.

When do FIFA announce the pots for the Draw? What would hypothetically be the strongest and weakest possible groups?
                                                I don't know if that's quite right. The USA were indeed shit, but they also faced CONCACAF national teams that have improved over the past four to eight years. (Ironically, a big part of this is because players from the smaller CONCACAF countries have been able to play at a higher level than their domestic leagues allow...in MLS!) MLS has been a boon for players from the smaller CONCACAF nations, while also enabling US players to be more lazy and complacent than they should be by getting big contracts to play closer to home rather than in Europe or Mexico, where they'd have to play up to a higher level.

So even though the Yanks were definitely worse this qualifying campaign than in the last one, I think the overall level of CONCACAF play has probably improved.

Comment

BBC:
                                                  "I thought there was an agreement. I'll speak to [FAI chief] John Delaney - I've not spoken to him since we spoke about the new contract," said O'Neill.
                                                  New contract might not actually haven been signed yet?

So MON hoping John Delaney is a man of his word....

Comment

Portugal, England, Nigeria and Iran can call themselves the PENIs

Looking at Pot 3, there seems to be quite a drop in quality between the top and bottom four (Sweden 20 to Tunisia 21). You'd want to face one of the African teams or Iran, especially if you're England, who are not noticeably better than Iceland, Sweden, Denmark and Costa Rica. That's not to say that England are a shoe-in to beat, say, Egypt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X