• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    He was there last Saturday.
    I know. I saw him...

Comment

Sean, don't mince your words, tell us what you really think. You're right btw.

Because I wouldn't pay to watch their scummy channel, what are Thommo and Merse saying about Marco Silva these days? Honeymoon period? Well, he took Hull down?

Comment

Great set of posts from Sean on here. All completely correct. I'm also looking at Swansea here as a comparison with Mel and West Brom, we had Guidolin won wasn't awful. He got us back on track after the disaster of Gary Monk and I felt we were getting somewhere. Now look at us. If Coleman had waited he could have saved his home town club.

Comment

Is this clement's fault, or does it have something to do with selling Llorente and siggurdsson with only limited plans to replace the latter?

Comment

I'm still unconvinced by Clement. Llorente was replaced by Abraham for this season and Bony long term but Gylfi wasn't. The transfer and recruitment has been appalling for years now, ever since Bayram Tutumlu tried pimping Ashley Williams around the premier league and we ended up with a small Spanish colony. Also giving Dyer and Routledge new contracts rather than sending them away is another set of mistakes. How much influence Clement has isn't certain but he's responsible for Renato Sanches and the millions wasted on his loan. I could go on but I just want it all to end.

Comment

More pundit gold.

https://twitter.com/Natalie_Bromley/status/932699709579386880

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                Oh, and Harry Redknapp. Harry Redknapp is available. Who wouldn't want Harry Redknapp at their club. Cheeky chappie Harry Redknapp. Friend of the hacks Harry Redknapp. Wheeler dealer Harry Redknapp. Ducking and a-diving Gor blimey Harry Redknapp. Nudge nudge wink wink leaning out of a Range Rover window Harry Redknapp. Dodgy geezer iffy payment canine fucking bank account can Kevin come as my assistant Harry Redknapp. Fucking fucking bloody fucking bastard fucking twatting fucking knobbing fucking shitty fucking pissing fucking cunting fucking wanking fucking tossing fucking motherfucking Harry fucking Redknapp.
                Shoot me now.
                P. O. T. Y. Close the poll, it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  I'm still unconvinced by Clement. Llorente was replaced by Abraham for this season and Bony long term but Gylfi wasn't. The transfer and recruitment has been appalling for years now, ever since Bayram Tutumlu tried pimping Ashley Williams around the premier league and we ended up with a small Spanish colony. Also giving Dyer and Routledge new contracts rather than sending them away is another set of mistakes. How much influence Clement has isn't certain but he's responsible for Renato Sanches and the millions wasted on his loan. I could go on but I just want it all to end.
                  Clement managed to balls up a decent chance at Derby a couple of seasons ago. I think he got away with it becuase the Chairman went mental or something, but someone, somewhere decided Nick Blackman was worth £2.5m after the only purple patch in his career. Looks like just 17 appearances in 18 months and he's now on loan at Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Comment

I feel out of touch here but what does #MNF mean? (In that embedded tweet)

And also Clement is a goner I reckon. December axeing.

Comment

Derby were in the play-off places and on an extended winning run when he was sacked. No one there really seems to know what happened, other than he wasn't managing "the Derby way," apparently.

Comment

MNF = Monday Night Football

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          Clement managed to balls up a decent chance at Derby a couple of seasons ago. I think he got away with it becuase the Chairman went mental or something, but someone, somewhere decided Nick Blackman was worth £2.5m after the only purple patch in his career. Looks like just 17 appearances in 18 months and he's now on loan at Maccabi Tel Aviv.
                          Pretty interesting coincidence and definitely nothing untoward in that Clement was represented by Wasserman Media Group when he came to Derby. The recently departed Chief Exec of Derby County, Mr. Sam Rush, used to be head of European Operations for Wasserman Media Group. As you say Snake Blackman was signed for a pretty confusing £2.5m and (if rumours are true, which they are) a substantial wage. Other Wasserman Media group players signed for Derby under Clement with either surprising fees or wages were: Darren Bent, Jason Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Blackman, Abdoul Camara.

Mr. Rush was going to sue DCFC when he was 'asked to leave', he should get new legal representation as his current ones appear to be dragging their feet somewhat.

Gets even more interesting when you find out who was briefing against Nigel Pearson at Derby during his short tenure and who he was represented by and who his son was also employed by.

In the interests of full disclosure I must disclose that I despise Clement as him and Rush went back on their word and sacked my mate and arguably the greatest ever goalkeeping coach that England has ever produced in Eric Steele , still St. Georges Park and the age group teams gain I suppose.

Comment

Didn't realise that about Clement, Reverend. Interesting.

"P. O. T. Y. Close the poll, it's over."

I think Sean has about three post of the year contenders just on this thread in the last 24 hours.

For anybody interested, Pardew seems to be the favourite for the Albion job. He has expressed an interest and he ticks the 'experienced Premier League manager' box that the club have expressed a desire to hire.

"But yeah, it's narrow thinking that has people saying (including a lot of our own fans) that Megson is an all-time Albion hero because he got the club promoted to the Premier League for 'the first time' and later won another promotion. He did do some good work for the first couple of years of his spell in charge, but his football was at least as ugly as Pulis' and over a longer period. Bob Taylor and Richard Sneekes were two of our best players who preceded Megson. They also have, to put it mildly, 'interesting' views on the man's managerial and coaching abilities."

My head agrees with you, James. But my heart is singing along with this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eCkv-IL-Yg

"Didn't Jeremy Peace appoint Alan Irvine? That appointment was so stupid it beggared belief."

Yes, I’d forgotten that, Mr Beast. He was a real penny pincher and got most of his managers were on the cheap and on a wing and a prayer. Di Matteo, Clarke, Irvine and Mel. Only twice did he pony up the big bucks – for Hodgson and Pulis. I suppose I always felt he was a safe pair of hands as he’d done it for so long although, as you say, his record doesn’t really stand up too well.

"I well remember Albion hammering Stoke 6-0 in 88/89 during a golden little run under Brian Talbot."

Yes, I was at that game. Conversely, I was also at a game at the Victoria Ground in the mid-90s where they beat us 4-1 and sang ‘You’ll never beat the City” at us for most of the game.

"I've reached the point where the only opinions about football I can bear to read are the ones expressed on here. In particular the reading of message boards and facebook threads about ones own club is an incredibly painful reminder of how our own perceived identity is something that can never be truly owned."

Agreed. And I find the mainstream media equally annoying. There’s not many safe havens, are there?

if anybody mentioned his name to them the stock answer would be "well, he's untried at this level..."

Yes, “stock answer.” All a pundit needs is a few of those up his sleeve and he’s made for life. As others have said, Jonathan Pearce was embarrassing the other evening. And he was at pains to point out how Conte had praised Albion’s “well-coached team.” We were many things on Saturday but “well-coached” is not one of them.

Talking of Saturday, Pulis in fact praised the crowd for not turning nasty as some other crowds might have. A friend of mine who was there said the same; there was more an air of resignation than one of anger and invective. This has been the case for a long time at the Hawthorns. I remember it being the same in the last dying embers of the Robson reign. I would leave the ground spitting and raging but would look around at all these docile fans who just accepted that that’s where we are in the great scheme of things.

"Jon, I think the really left-field thing about Mel's appointment was that it was made mid-season with the team looking in trouble. With his limited English and ideas of how to play that were very very different to what the players were used to, he was always going to find that situation difficult. But he did at least keep us in the division, and there were one or two genuinely good performances. Given a close-season and time to really get his ideas across, he might have been a good appointment. In an odd way, he was more of a fit for Albion than Pulis ever was."

Yes, I don’t disagree with you regarding Mel. He certainly wasn’t on my radar and I’m pretty sure he was about 3 or 4 on the list but you’re right, he was appointed at the wrong time. Plus it didn’t help that some of the more experienced players took a dislike to his methods and the language barrier was huge.

Comment

Reading that about Clement by The Reverend makes me wonder how much of this goes on and how different that is to Clough getting 50k in a brown paper bag. It's just legal but still immoral just like the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Clement will be gone by Christmas. Look at the performances this season and even last. We only survived because Hull were worse and we won four games at the end with many of them being meaningless as Hull were down. Clement is a great coach but not a leader.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Reverend View Post
                                Pretty interesting coincidence and definitely nothing untoward in that Clement was represented by Wasserman Media Group when he came to Derby. The recently departed Chief Exec of Derby County, Mr. Sam Rush, used to be head of European Operations for Wasserman Media Group. As you say Snake Blackman was signed for a pretty confusing £2.5m and (if rumours are true, which they are) a substantial wage. Other Wasserman Media group players signed for Derby under Clement with either surprising fees or wages were: Darren Bent, Jason Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Blackman, Abdoul Camara.
                                Ah, yes, I forgot about Shackells transfer. He left Turf Moor under a very, very heavy cloud. Not just pulling the increasingly fashionable "refusing to play" but apparently all sorts of shenanigans behind the scenes. His wages were tripled at Derby and we got three times what we paid for a 32 year old with a bad back. What was most noticeable was not the absolute pelters he got back at the Turf - he was after all the captain and scorer of two vital goals in derby games - but the reaction of his ex-team mates. When he had an absolute nightmare game, giving away a needless penalty and deflecting an own goal, the camera on Ashley Barnes and Lukas Jutkiewicz shows them unable to contain their glee at his misfortune.

Comment

Reading all that about Clement illustrates another aspect of thd closed shop that most of us are oblivious to - how many decisions are made by agents and 'representatives'. I'm sure what we know about is just the tiny tip of the ice berg.

Comment

Bielsa looks to be out at Lille, though he's only been "suspended" for the moment (most likely to allow he and LOSC to agree to terms).

Comment

Bauza out at Saudi Arabia. Their FA then asked Bert van Marwijk to return, who put the exact same demands on the table earlier rejected by the Saudis. No deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        More pundit gold.
                                        Originally posted by Natalie Bromley's tweet
                                        Jamie Carragher: “I’ve not watched Burnley this season; I don’t watch Burnley”

Also Jamie Carragher: Let me give you an in-depth and incorrect analysis of how Burnley play this season and why Dyche will never get a big job.
                                        Thought there was a cracking reply on that thread, too: "First lesson of Pundit School. Narrative over Truth every time."
                                        Then I realised it was from you, Snake. Not blowing smoke up your arse, but it's a terrific line.

Scarily, too, it can easily be imagined on the propaganda posters that will be found on every wall should the punditocracy ever seize power.

Edit: Had to remove actual tweet from the quotes as it was buggering up the formatting, rendering the rest of my post as one big hyperlink. Whichever idiot is in charge of the boards should sort that out.
                                        Last edited by Various Artist; 23-11-2017, 22:22.

Comment

Gary Megson's first act at WBA is to tell his fellow assistant head coach Ben Garner to stay away from the club. Since Bilic has rejected the opportunity to talk to them about the vacancy Megson may be in charge for a while.

Comment

And there's still no firm reason as to why Megson banned him. Considering the names of the merely available, gissa-job candidates chucked into the hat, awaiting the announcement of West Brom's new manager is a bit like anticipating the election of a really crap pope.

Comment

Megson does seem incredibly thin skinned. The only thing I rate about him is his ability to fall out with people.

Comment

Well I like him, even if nobody else does.

Comment

That owl clearly thinks he's a grade A wanker

Comment

Was just wondering which manager has guided a team to the most relegations, and apparently it's Dave Bassett, who oversaw demotions with Sheffield United, Forest and Leicester!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X