No announcement yet.

Sacked Managers 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my local non-league clubs had a manager a few years back who used a tablet. The fans, naturally horrified at this outburst of modernism, used to just call him iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      Sorry, a New Year's resolution should be not to be so lazy. I was confusing him with the non-football guy (ex-stockbroker?) who wanted to do football based on stats and analysis.
      Warburton is indeed an ex-stockbroker but the man with the stats-based recruitment and analysis is Brentford owner Matthew Benham. They fell out in early 2015 when Warburton wanted more input into transfer decisions and, although he stayed until the end of the season and reached the play-offs, his contract was not renewed. Benham suffered a sustained campaign of mockery from Warburton’s friends in the press for ‘sacking’ Brentford’s most successful post-war manager.

However, Warburton’s subsequent failures at Rangers and Forest and Brentford’s continued over-achievement in the higher reaches of the Championship suggest that it was the real ‘man with the laptop’ i.e. Matthew Benham, who was responsible for his initial success at Brentford.

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated.

Comment

Mark Hughes seems likely to be given his marching orders from Stoke

Comment

Accompanied by a joyous round of applause from the general direction of Shepherds Bush.

Comment

You’re still banging this drum about Hughes more than five years after his one season managing your club despite the fact that it’s been proven to be a complete basket case before and since?

Comment

I'm not particularly, but QPR fans as a whole certainly are. He's neck-and-neck with Redknapp for Most Despised Manager of the Past Decade — and we we've had quite a few.

Comment

I'd still rather have him back than giving the job to Giggs... or pretty much any of the other candidates to be honest, it's some pretty thin gruel.

Comment

I think having Hughes back wouldn't be the worst appointment, he'd also bring his backroom staff I'm guessing which could cause some problems with Osian and his role.

For me anyone other than Giggs is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                      More importantly, what's happened to his hair?
                      He must have quit on boxing day, gone to Harley Street that evening, had the transplant done and then dyed it before his first press conference.

I've always liked Carvalhal, but he's no more than a capable manager, he doesn't have the minute attention to detail or the arrogance that is found within the best Portuguese managers who win trophies. I'd rate him at the same level as Paulo Sergio, Jose Couceiro and Domingos Pacienca, all of whom have been chewed up and spat out by hopeless Sporting presidents over the past decade.

Carvalhal's unforgettable moment in the spotlight was leading Setúbal to win the League Cup with victory over Benfica in a penalty shoot out. He formedva fantastic team consisting of rejects and veterans, players like Claudio Pitbull, soon to be Portuguese No 1 Eduardo and the Cameroonian striker Meyong. Lovely team to watch.

One thing he'll do is get the best out of Renato Sanches. He's already done the first important thing, played him for the full 90 minutes and played him deeper, allowing him to do what he does best by picking up loose balls and breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                        I'd still rather have him back than giving the job to Giggs... or pretty much any of the other candidates to be honest, it's some pretty thin gruel.
                        Vancouver Whitecaps fans are surprised to see Carl Robinson's name mentioned (apparently Ramsey and Bale have been lobbying for him.) He hasn't particularly impressed many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          You’re still banging this drum about Hughes more than five years after his one season managing your club despite the fact that it’s been proven to be a complete basket case before and since?
                          If you're proposing that there is a time limit for hating ex managers, then I'm not sure that I can continue to be a football fan.

Comment

Carvalhal spent most of those 90 minutes talking to Renato Sanches, perhaps with a run of games he might find some form and by playing him in his best position he's got a chance.

Interesting to not that Stev9e compares Carvalhal to Jose Coucerio, he was the first manager I saw to play the 4-6-0 formation and make it work in an attacking sense when Gaziantepspor destroyed Beşiktaş about 7 seasons ago. It was all about passing and movement and was an absolute joy to watch.

Comment

Yeah, Couceiro is a bit like, Arsene Wenger; encyclopedically knowledge but more concerned with how a team plays opposed to winning at all costs.

Comment

Marcuse will be shown the Adorno.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                  Yeah, Couceiro is a bit like, Arsene Wenger; encyclopedically knowledge but more concerned with how a team plays opposed to winning at all costs.
                                  I have a real soft spot for Vitória and they do play some joyous football but are just so toothless when it matters. Unlike a Wenger team (and up unitl this season) his team has often had the better of the big three. They're struggling this time around but all the pressure seems to have been on the directors who resigned en masse and a new chairman eleceted just before Christmas. I don't think the his job is on the line just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    Marcuse will be shown the Adorno.
                                    Neumann, Fromm?

Comment

Anyone know anything about Jos Luhukay? Allegedly Wednesday's first choice to be new manager.

A cursory search tells me he had a journeyman playing career in Holland, and has only managed in Germany. He's been promoted from 2.Bundesliga three times. Hasn't worked since a short spell at Stuttgart at the start of last season. Also has a silly moustache.

I presume he's got links to Doyen Sports in some way.

Comment

Claims to be a Van Gall disciple and committed to attractive football, but also has a record as a strict disciplinarian who gets on players’ nerves.

Was known as “the Little Dictator” at Augsburg (he’s 5’6”).

Comment

Is Van Gall related to Sepp Bladder?

Comment

How did you know?

Comment

So. We've appointed him, then. Up all night to get Jos Luhakay.

Comment

Surely today's result is the end for Mark Hughes.

Comment

are coventry still playing in a pub car park in holyhead or have thing settled down for them?

Comment

They're back at the Ricoh but are still owned by SISU.

So no, things haven't settled down one bit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X