Sacked Managers 2017/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've shared this before but it all started to go wrong for me in the summer after the league cup win at the end of Laudrup's first season. His manager, Bayram Tutumlu, started to get heavily involved in the transfers at the club. Not only bringing in players he represented, mostly Spanish and mostly not good enough but he was also trying to get Ashley Williams a big money move to Arsenal. Tutumlu was banned from the club by Huw Jenkins who the assumed responsibly for transfers, the big one was Bony. Bony didn't get much game time under Laudrup and this led to more conflict between chairman and manager.

Laudrup also spent less time at the club and increasingly let others take training while he disappeared to Paris. With results and performances going south and the relationship beyond repair Jenkins sacked Laudrup and brought in Monk. Monk had also been involved in a few incidents on the training ground with the players that Tutumlu had brought in. Also and importantly Michu was now injured and would never play at the same level for Swansea again.

Looking back Monk appeared to have had the ear of Jenkins and created a situation where he walked in and saved the club from relegation whereas in fact the structures had been put in place over a period of years by Brian Flynn and subsequent managers. Every manager from Jackett onwards added and developed the Swansea way. Martinez and Rodgers got all of the plaudits but Paolo Sousa gave a defensive solidity. All of that was destroyed by Monk who changed the way we played and by Jenkins who sold the best players and replaced them with inferior players.

All of this culminated with Jenkins and those that saved the club selling it to the new US owners in secret by not allowing the supporters trust in on the negotiations and deal.

The only person who had remained a constant in all of this was Alan Curtis but he was ostracised by Paul Clement and Jenkins allowed this. For the club to get back on track Jenkins needs to go and Curtis needs to take charge and oversee the transition and return to the Swansea way that has been lost.
    Very good stuff, AE.

Comment

I am (a) happy that Carvalhal has got a new job ; and (b) of the opinion that he'll do alright there (but won't save them from relegation

Comment

Carvalhal was linked with Swansea a while back, though the assumption among our fans was that it was being bigged up by his agent to secure a new contract and pay rise.

Still you'll enjoy his press conferences if nothing else.

Comment

The Twittersphere reports that Steve McLaren has left his coaching role at Maccabi Tel Aviv and has been immediately linked with the Wednesday vacancy. Dull, lazy pundits will coolly accept his mooted post of employment while the rest of humanity builds a 500ft neon sign spelling out 'FFS'. That's the problem with managerial merry-go-rounds: the 'merry' bit never seems to materialize.

Comment

Originally posted by ian.64 View Post
            ...while the rest of humanity builds a 500ft neon sign spelling out 'FFS'
            Cheers for that, ian. Who doesn't love diet orange drink streaming out of their nostrils?

Comment

Then my work here is done. Seriously, if the story about McClaren turns out to be true, then we've gone beyond 'short-termism' and into the realm where most football chairmen have manuals at home complete with instructions on how to wipe their own arses.

Comment

Local press are reporting McClaren held talks with our chairman a couple of days back. *looks up cost of ordering 2000 foot of neon tubing*

Actually it might be a bit of a free hit if we appoint him, we're not going to go up or down so if he turns out not to be particularly good (ahem) we could just get rid in the summer.

Also he was linked with us at the end of last season, though unclear if that was based on anything more than him doing co-commentary for 5 Live at the home leg of the play off semi.
                Last edited by longeared; 28-12-2017, 16:30.

Comment

He's a Yorkshireman - that's enough for most lazy journos.

Comment

Quite possibly. I'm looking forward to some hack Wikipediaing Garry Monk and discovering he had a loan spell at Wednesday in 2002-03 (and was pretty good actually)

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've shared this before but it all started to go wrong for me in the summer after the league cup win at the end of Laudrup's first season. His manager, Bayram Tutumlu, started to get heavily involved in the transfers at the club. Not only bringing in players he represented, mostly Spanish and mostly not good enough but he was also trying to get Ashley Williams a big money move to Arsenal. Tutumlu was banned from the club by Huw Jenkins who the assumed responsibly for transfers, the big one was Bony. Bony didn't get much game time under Laudrup and this led to more conflict between chairman and manager.

Laudrup also spent less time at the club and increasingly let others take training while he disappeared to Paris. With results and performances going south and the relationship beyond repair Jenkins sacked Laudrup and brought in Monk. Monk had also been involved in a few incidents on the training ground with the players that Tutumlu had brought in. Also and importantly Michu was now injured and would never play at the same level for Swansea again.

Looking back Monk appeared to have had the ear of Jenkins and created a situation where he walked in and saved the club from relegation whereas in fact the structures had been put in place over a period of years by Brian Flynn and subsequent managers. Every manager from Jackett onwards added and developed the Swansea way. Martinez and Rodgers got all of the plaudits but Paolo Sousa gave a defensive solidity. All of that was destroyed by Monk who changed the way we played and by Jenkins who sold the best players and replaced them with inferior players.

All of this culminated with Jenkins and those that saved the club selling it to the new US owners in secret by not allowing the supporters trust in on the negotiations and deal.

The only person who had remained a constant in all of this was Alan Curtis but he was ostracised by Paul Clement and Jenkins allowed this. For the club to get back on track Jenkins needs to go and Curtis needs to take charge and oversee the transition and return to the Swansea way that has been lost.
                      Interesting stuff - do you by any chance have any background on the strange Leon Britton transfer to Sheffield United and return to Swansea? It never made any sense to me, firstly him agreeing to a move to a club managed by the troglodyte Blackwell who didn't have a clue what to do with a player like Britton and then the free transfer move back to Swansea when he was 6 months into a 3 year contract.

Comment

The more I think about this the more I suspect this Carvalhal to Swansea deal was on before he left Hillsborough. His departure from us was posted as "by mutual consent" which is clearly usually a phrase that covers a lie, but in this case may actually turn out to have been the case. As far as one can tell from public statements he didn't have his contract at Wednesday paid off.

Comment

More importantly, what's happened to his hair?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                            More importantly, what's happened to his hair?
                            Same thing that happened to Rooney/Conte/Klopp/Bilic...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              The more I think about this the more I suspect this Carvalhal to Swansea deal was on before he left Hillsborough. His departure from us was posted as "by mutual consent" which is clearly usually a phrase that covers a lie, but in this case may actually turn out to have been the case. As far as one can tell from public statements he didn't have his contract at Wednesday paid off.
                              Jon Newsome thinks the same in his local newspaper column today. Also worth noting that Carvalhal's four Portuguese assistants all left on Sunday and he's talking about wanting to make four additions to the Swansea coaching staff.

McClaren is apparently no longer in the running for the Wednesday job. I hope he didn't take a look at us and immediately run for the hills.

Comment

Monk appeared to have had the ear of Jenkins
                                That never ends well.

To be fair to Monk, although last season ended badly, he did provide some much needed stability during his time at Leeds. Quite something for a manager to last longer under Massimo Cellino than under Steve Gibson.

Comment

Mark Warburton has been fired by Forest after 9 months.

Comment

It's at this point that Steve McClaren and the theme from Jaws become virtually synonymous.

Comment

Because having a new manager every year has served Forest so well over the last decade. Having got rid of Fawaz, Forest stated they wanted a period of stability. Warburton got 9 months.

Forest had 22 shots yesterday to Sunderland’s one. If just one of them had gone in, Warburton would still be there. Great long-term planning.

Comment

Originally posted by ian.64 View Post
                                        It's at this point that Steve McClaren and the theme from Jaws become virtually synonymous.
                                        There's a teeth joke to be made there somewhere.

Comment

Is Warburton the laptop guy?

Comment

The laptop guy?

Comment

Sorry, a New Year's resolution should be not to be so lazy. I was confusing him with the non-football guy (ex-stockbroker?) who wanted to do football based on stats and analysis.

Comment

Wasn't Warburton the manager at Brentford when this started?

Comment

I know that the "old boy's club" weren't fond of Ian Cathro at Hearts because he had a laptop with him in the technical area.
                                                  I don't think he's the guy you're thinking of though, Sits.

Comment

This is the problem with having a shite memory.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X