No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A. Elzo, Benfica 88 (full name Elzo Aloísio Coelho)
    B. Baraja, Valencia 2001
    E. Salihamidžić?

Comment

a and b correct

e still to find (but from previous clues you know it is in the same shoot out as Baraja and Linke)

Comment

a. Rabbit - Coelho, Portuguese 1988 (usually known as Elzo)
        b. Deck of cards - Baraja, Spanish, 2001
        c. Left - Linke, German 2001
        d. Locksmith - Lacatus, Romanian, 1986
        e. Give it to you -
        f. Said - Dito, Portuguese 1988
        g. Valentine - Bálint, Hungarian/Romanian 1986

Comment

Lizarazu? That's the thing with Basque, it's so unlike any other European language, there's no clues to pick up on.

Comment

Exactly. Lizarazu, it says here, means "Give it to you"

d. Locksmith - Lăcătuș, Romanian, 1986
            e. Give it to you - Lizarazu, Basque, 2001

Comment

I believe this leaves the following as the only extant question. I have no ideas for it, at all.

Originally posted by seand View Post
              What connects these EC1 teams:
              Man United
              Ipswich
              Benfica
              Anderlecht
              Feyenoord
              Leeds
              Borussia M
              Dinamo Bucharest
              Ajax
              Liverpool
              HJK

Comment

Something about losing in the first round to the eventual winners? I'm basing that solely on the fact that Ipswich's only ever foray into the EC1 was in 62-63 when they beat Floriana in a preliminary round and then lost to AC Milan, who went on to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  I believe this leaves the following as the only extant question. I have no ideas for it, at all.
                  It is a complete list, and it's in chronological order. It only covers EC1, otherwise it's be considerably longer.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    But it led me to ponder whether that final was actually the first time anyone had seen a televised Forest game in full (since 1959?). Back then the League Cup final wasn't live, and of course no League games were..
                    Either leg of the semi with Cologne?

I know Rangers' second, home leg of the quarter with Cologne was live on Scottish tv - watched it at my grans, for the first trip of a life-long journey into continental ennui - but that may have been coz it was delayed for 24 hours by snow. And, in 1979, no-one played on a Thursday night kids.

But if Cologne's next tie wasn't on our boxes then the 79 final is definitely the first time I ever saw Forest play a full game. Kept asking my dad why he thought it was boring. I wanted goals but was mostly transfixed - and happy Forest won.
                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-01-2018, 09:11. Reason: I'm sure Granock Way was on just an hour before Dieter Mueller put us out

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                      I don't have anything to offer on the current quiz(es), except admiration and confusion. But checking out the penalty shoot-outs I learned Smicer means Smith, so you could work that into a "Smiths who scored for Liverpool in finals" or summat.
                      tee rex asks the question on page 76 - segueing into a "do you remember the first time" discussion - and, on page 77, I can declare Tommy Smith putting Liverpool 2-1 up in Rome is the first European Cup final moment - the first European Cup moment of any round, team or shade - I remember clearly.

Had the BBC video of the game for a few years now (yup - VHS) but I'm absolutely not getting my dad's reaction mixed up with Barry Davies'. If you met my dad you'd know why. But when Smith became "what a delighted scorer" I remember mah faither declaiming in our Ardrossan living room almost as loudly as oor Baz down his mic in the Eternal City.

What I'm saying is, 1976-77 is when the European Cup first invaded my life.

And it was another Liverpool final win, 28 years later, that finally brought everything I'd ever wanted from that final, as a neutral who'd spent his adolescence getting obsessed with the goal-fest finals of the 1950s and early 60s.

1992-93 was the closest I ever came to getting the one thing I wanted even more from the EC/UCL final ... but that story's a good 15 or 16 pages away ... and we'd all rather have a quiz than hear some old codger do his "this means more to me than you" bit.

Carry on.
                      Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-01-2018, 09:33. Reason: ... and it should take me a good 17 or 18 pages to tell it

Comment

Exactly. Lizarazu, it says here, means "Give it to you"

d. Locksmith - Lăcătuș, Romanian, 1986
                        e. Give it to you - Lizarazu, Basque, 2001
                        Brilliant stuff ad hoc and - pathetically jumping on the back of that - can anyone tell me, without checking his Wiki page, what Lizarazu was the first player to achieve. It's a record which includes the Champions League but is not all about it.

Comment

What connects these EC1 teams:
                          Man United
                          Ipswich
                          Benfica
                          Anderlecht
                          Feyenoord
                          Leeds
                          Borussia M
                          Dinamo Bucharest
                          Ajax
                          Liverpool
                          HJK
                          It's Dinamo Bucharest and HJK throwing me here - only ones never to reach any of the European finals, HJK the only one never to host a final.

Thought it might have been they'd all played the same club in all three competitions - Ipswich met AZ in the CWC and the UEFA Cup but neither of their opponents in their only European Cup sojourn pop up in their only CWC sojourn.

Basically, no idea. Throw in some of the ones from ECs 2 and 3 Sean.

Comment

No idea is this helps in any way, but in that round in which AC Milan won against Ipswich, Altafini didn't score. But he did in every other round on his way to a record total of 14 goals in Milan's win.

(And just to add a new layer of Ipswich related intrigue, the player that equalled that record in European competition was - John Wark in the year when Ipswich won the UEFA Cup)

Comment

A record equalled/beaten by Jurgen Klinsmann for Bayern in the 95-96 UEFA Cup ...WHY ARE THEY NOT ON THE LIST, SEAN??!! I haven't eaten for two days now - I need to back off.

At one point I was thinking "they've all played European finals in England and/or the Netherlands" ... but, again, it's Dinamo and HJK wot eff me up.

================================================== ================================================== ===================

================================================== ================================================== =====================

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 21-05-2018, 18:58. Reason: Cannot find a team group

Comment

It is a complete list, and it's in chronological order. It only covers EC1, otherwise it's be considerably longer.
                                Does the answer include the word "Milan"?

Comment

*Evil laugh* as my fiendish plan leads people astray. Nothing to do with Milan tee rex. And other speculation has been wide of the mark.
                                  HJK are the only ones from the Champions League era.
                                  If we expanded it to include EC2 and EC3 Liverpool would be the only club on the list 3 times.

Comment

*Evil laugh* as my fiendish plan leads people astray. Nothing to do with Milan tee rex. And other speculation has been wide of the mark.
                                    HJK are the only ones from the Champions League era.
                                    If we expanded it to include EC2 and EC3 Liverpool would be the only club on the list 3 times.
                                    Apologies for ignorance but what does EC1, EC2 and EC3 mean?

Comment

I've worked it out to be
                                      EC1 = European Cup/Champions League
                                      EC2 = Cup Winners Cup
                                      EC3 = UEFA Cup

(possibly)

No idea where it came from but it seems to have become common usage on this thread.

Comment

Got it! They've all signed Jari Litmanen.

Comment

I've worked it out to be
                                          EC1 = European Cup/Champions League
                                          EC2 = Cup Winners Cup
                                          EC3 = UEFA Cup

(possibly)

No idea where it came from but it seems to have become common usage on this thread.
                                          Aye, introduced by seand to these parts (see above for proven fiendishness). It's a bit RSSSF for my liking - too coldly clinical.

But it certainly makes life a lot easier when we tangent into discussing all three of the traditional club competitions, especially since EC3 is now Inter City Fairs Cup/Fairs Cup/UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League (at least) ... and most folk are on here when they should be working.

Comment

Is it the club's record win? Or is it specifically 10-0 wins?

Manchester Utd's record win is 10-0 against Anderlecht in the EC in 56-57
                                            Ipswich;s record win is possibly (though this seems to be difficult to know) the 10-0 win over Floriana in 62-63
                                            Benfica beat Dudelange 0-10 in 65-66

I'm going to guess at 10-0 wins.

Comment

Sorry for the EC1 etc short hand. I post mainly on my phone so ec1 is handier than European Cup /Champions League. Common enough usage among the stattos

Comment

Is it the club's record win? Or is it specifically 10-0 wins?

Manchester Utd's record win is 10-0 against Anderlecht in the EC in 56-57
                                                Ipswich;s record win is possibly (though this seems to be difficult to know) the 10-0 win over Floriana in 62-63
                                                Benfica beat Dudelange 0-10 in 65-66

I'm going to guess at 10-0 wins.
                                                Well done ad hoc. Double figures wins to be precise. HJK against Bangor City in 2011. Anderlecht were on both ends of it and are the only ones to do it away from home, 10-1 at Haka 66-7.

Comment

Or scoring ten or more goals in a tie

Anderlecht beat Haka 10-1 in 66-67
                                                  Feyenoord beat KR 12-2 in 69-70 on exactly the same night that
                                                  Leeds beat Lyn 10-0
                                                  and I haven;t got any further yet

Edit: vindicated as I typed

Comment

Congrats, ad hoc. Nice one seand.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X