D. Waters - Aguas, Portuguese
    E. Rooster - Haan, Dutch
    F. Gunman - Puskas, Hungarian
    G. Bunches - Ramos, Spanish
    H. Beer glass - Stein, German
    I. Moneybags - Rijkaard, Dutch
    J. Small town - Villa, Spanish

Comment

Other names that got mentioned at points in the thread and not yet explained are
      Miller - Müller, German (Gerd scored twice for Bayern in the 74 replay, once in 75, Thomas scored, also for Bayern, in 2012)
      Coachman - Kocsis, Hungarian (also Mrs hoc's name). Scored for Barcelona in 61.

Comment

Obviously I had no idea it meant coachman but that's a beautiful name to have.

================================================== =================================

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 21-05-2018, 15:58. Reason: It's the dudes down the far end

Comment

As that seemed to be popular here is a bonus. The following payers all scored in European Cup finals but in the penalty shootout

a. Rabbit
          b. Deck of cards
          c. Left
          d. Locksmith
          e. Give it to you
          f. Said
          g. Valentine

Comment

a. Balint
            d. Lacatus

And, if not, can I try them against all other options ...

Comment

d. is right
              and Balint is there, but not in a.

Comment

c. Linke (Bayern 2001) Also likely to be the only Finals scorer to share a name with a political party represented in his home Parliament.
                f. Dito (Benfica 1988)
                g. Balint (Steaua 1986)

Comment

a. Rabbit
                  b. Deck of cards
                  c. Left - Linke, German
                  d. Locksmith - Lacatus, Romanian
                  e. Give it to you
                  f. Said - Dito, Portuguese
                  g. Valentine - Balint (in Hungarian, though Gabi Balint is Romanian with a Hungarian surname)

Comment

I'm going to confess that one of the remaining 3 relies even more heavily than the others on Google translate since I have no knowledge of the language whatsoever

Comment

What connects these EC1 teams:
                      Man United
                      Ipswich
                      Benfica
                      Anderlecht
                      Feyenoord
                      Leeds
                      Borussia M
                      Dinamo Bucharest
                      Ajax
                      Liverpool
                      HJK
                      Last edited by seand; 30-01-2018, 14:14.

Comment

And the while I'm here.... name two clubs to have played HOME European matches in at least six countries each (EC CL CWC UEFA EL all included, I think it makes more sense than filtering out European Cup / CL)

Comment

For these purposes, does the UK count as one country, four countries or something in between?

Comment

Make a stab at someone like Partizan Belgrade - Yugoslavia, Whatever Yugoslavia was called after Slovenia and Croatia had gone, Serbia and Montenegro, and now Serbia. That's 4. 6 sounds a stretch though

Comment

Wouldn’t surprise me if they and/or Red Star had stadium bans as well.

And they may have been designated as the home side in finals played at neutral sites.
                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 30-01-2018, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Wouldn’t surprise me if they and/or Red Star had stadium bans as well.

And they may have been designated as the home side in finals played at neutral sites.
                                Red Star lead the way with 7 (Yugoslavia, Serbia, S+M plus enforced exile in Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Austria)
                                I'm not counting the nominally 'home' team in finals. There's one more team with home games in 6 countries. You can have the constituent countries of the UK as separate countries if you like, but I don't think it helps here!

Comment

Galatasaray or Fenerbahce?

Comment

Shakhtar Donetsk? They must have played in the USSR, CIS, Ukraine, and then in exile at least once in the last few years (I know they played for ages in Lviv, but I have the feeling they may have played a match or two in Poland too) Any others?

Comment

Maccabi Haifa popped straight into my head as I went to Kiev for Maccabi-Liverpool in 2006. The game got moved 'cos of this
                                      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Lebanon_War

Maccabi also played in Nicosia, Sofia, Izmir, Rotterdam & Nijmegen over the years.

Comment

Red Star v Samp in Bulgaria was a lovely, mucky, dingily-glamorous heavyweight group game in 91-92.

I can't answer the question - but thanks for bringing back some nice memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                                          Maccabi Haifa popped straight into my head as I went to Kiev for Maccabi-Liverpool in 2006. The game got moved 'cos of this
                                          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Lebanon_War

Maccabi also played in Nicosia, Sofia, Izmir, Rotterdam & Nijmegen over the years.
                                          That's the one I had in mind. Maccabi in Israel Netherlands Bulgaria Cyprus turkey and Ukraine.

Comment

a. Rabbit - tricky because although his surname is rabbit he went by another name
                                            b. Deck of cards - Both he and e. scored in the same shoot out (as did one of the others already got
                                            c. Left - Linke, German
                                            d. Locksmith - Lacatus, Romanian
                                            e. Give it to you - this is the one that I am completely reliant on Google translate for
                                            f. Said - Dito, Portuguese
                                            g. Valentine - Bálint, Hungarian

Comment

Is rabbit along the lines of “church” for one of Madrid’s scorers in the 16 shootout (i.e., his mother’s maiden name)?

Comment

No. It is the player's recognised only surname (he's not Spanish) but he went mostly by another name

Comment

I realise that actually all 7 of these names are taken from 3 penalty shoot outs. And since you already have every single one of the players who scored in one particular shoot out, this last hint should get you there

Comment

I don't have anything to offer on the current quiz(es), except admiration and confusion. But checking out the penalty shoot-outs I learned Smicer means Smith, so you could work that into a "Smiths who scored for Liverpool in finals" or summat.

Meanwhile, I found the 1979 final on YouTube, and watched it all. Like most childhood memories of great telly occasions, it's one that should be left unexamined. Rubbish game, with the main entertainment being Barry Davies and Bobby Charlton predicting a glut of goals for Forest and being audibly frustrated.

But it led me to ponder whether that final was actually the first time anyone had seen a televised Forest game in full (since 1959?). Back then the League Cup final wasn't live, and of course no League games were. So our first proper experience of one of the greatest teams in English club history was watching 90 minutes of blundering into a Swedish offside trap.

And it didn't get much better a year later, and then it was over. Johnny (Robertson), we hardly knew ye.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X