Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffon?

Comment

I like your thinking Zeb and I guess it's quite possible that a Buffon or a Chiellini could have three career CL ogs but it's a straighter question than that, so it's not a Juve player

Comment

I actually came across the answer last week when researching something related to squad numbers, it's an outstanding question.

Comment

It's also absolutley diabolical.

Juventus have played more than 250 matches in the competition.

Comment

It is a horrible question with a pleasing answer. He did it for three different clubs in the same country.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
              Name a player with three career Champions League goals, scored for thre e different clubs, all against Juventus
              For three different German clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                For three different German clubs.
                All penalties

Comment

Hans Jörg Butt for HSV, Leverkusen and Bayern

Pleasing indeed

Comment

La Liga, 2 February 2013

Granada 1-0 Real Madrid

C. Ronaldo (22 og)

Comment

That was quite famous at the time, as it cost them points, but I thought we were looking for goals in European competition

Comment

Alex's list includes Premier League matches, friendlies and La Liga - Ronaldo has apparently not scored against Barcelona in European matches (according to TransferMarkt).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Hans Jörg Butt for HSV, Leverkusen and Bayern

Pleasing indeed
                          That's the one. Can't beat a bit of goal scoring goalkeeper. I guess you could say, ahem, he was quite the pain in the Butt for Juve *self satisfied chuckle*

Comment

Yep, Alex specifically said any competition plus friendlies are acceptable. Well done, Kev.

And well done seand on a wonderful question.

Comment

Which player scored the first European goal at the stadium of a club he would later join?

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                Which player scored the first European goal at the stadium of a club he would later join?
                                Eduardo at the Emirates for Zagreb wasn't it? Wouldn't be surprised if it's not unique though

Comment

On the ball, Sean - yeah, I elected not to go with the "only player"!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    La Liga, 2 February 2013

Granada 1-0 Real Madrid

C. Ronaldo (22 og)
                                    Kevin, S - you absolute bloody beauty!

Just re-emerging from the last remnants of the festive hols yesterday (Harrogate for three days, thanks for asking. Trip to Bolton Abbey/Priory on the way back up the road, Saturday. Could pretend it was inspired by Wordsworth, Turner or Henry VIII but - really - we all know it was Steve Coogan falling off the stepping stones into the Wharf in that episode of The Trip. Anyway, rained all day Thursday in Harrogate but Friday was beautiful and I'd highly recommend Christie's on King's Road - great pint of Moretti, staff were lovely and the pork and apple pies lined the remnants of the arteries quite nicely before my annual Yorkshire trip into scratchings and crackling filled them completely. Saw the floodlights of both Carlisle and Gretna glowing off to the left as I hit the border again on Saturday*) and made that mistake of putting live football on telly as, ye know, background noise - to lighten the drear of taking down of Xmas decorations and tree. Never works. Every time I as much as lifted a bobble or tucked in a metal arm of the tree - a fucking goal. Six-goal game, red card and a VAR-killing penalty and I saw not one, heard them all and in rushing out of a cupboard or loft to catch the replays of everything managed to make the two jobs I was given to do around our tiny tinselled living room last 94 minutes plus half-time. That was annoying. Robbie Savage's plastic inanity was more annoying. But worse yet - and more pervasive than the "Forest have won it twice and Arsenal have only been runners-up, once" European Cup/Champions League addict confusion about who was really the underdog - I spent all of BT's coverage from the City Ground so annoyed Ronaldo didn't score against Forest in his whole time In England. He might have. I've probably missed it. After all, I didn't have the common sense to previously search "Ronaldo own goal" on YouTube. But then, today, being the Monday when real work is supposed to start again, I clock back into this here office and one of my colleagues has this new info which more than makes up for the fact Forest were in a different division and not meeting Man U in cups during (most of/all?) his time in England and has inspired me to go and be even wronger in researching how many European champion clubs Messi has scored against. No way it can be more than Ronnie's newly-improves total of fif-fuckin-teen!

Brilliant Kevin. Thank you, sir.

UPDATED LIST OF European Cup/UEFA Champions League winners Ronaldo has scored against:

Real Madrid (La liga, 2 Feb 2013 [og while playing against Granada], Los Cármenes, 0-1)
                                    Milan (UCL, 19 Oct 2010, Bernabeu, 2-0)
                                    Inter (UCL, 11 March 2009, Old Trafford, 2-0)
                                    Celtic (friendly, 9 May 2006, Old Trafford, 2-1)
                                    Man United (UCL, 13 Feb 2013, Bernabeu, 1-1)
                                    Ajax (UCL 23 Nov 2010, Amsterdam Arena [x2] 4-0)
                                    Bayern Munich (UCL 29 April 2014, Allianz Arena, Munich [x2], 4-0)
                                    Liverpool (UCL, 22 October 2014, Anfield, 3-0)
                                    Aston Villa (EPL, 22 Jan 2005, Old Trafford, 3-1)
                                    Juventus (2017 UCL final, Millenium Stadium, Cardiff [x2] 4-1)
                                    Porto (UCL, 15 April 2009, Do Dragao, 1-0)
                                    Barcelona (La Liga, 25 October 2014, Bernabeu, 3-1)
                                    Marseille (UCL, 30 sept 09, Bernabeu [x2] 3-0)
                                    Borussia Dortmund (UCL, 24 Oct 2012, Westfalenstadion, Dortmund, 1-2)
                                    Chelsea (2008 UCL final, Moscow, 1-1)

[*Yup. Absolutely an underhand attempt at an excuse for not getting seand's excellent Hans-Jörg Butt question. "Oh. Sorry. I was out of the country at the time ...". Wouldn't have had a fekin clue]
                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 08-01-2018, 18:19. Reason: just searching "Messi Own Goal" on YouTube. Fool me once ...

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                      Sticking with London, you could stretch "would later join" for George Robb at White Hart Lane and Jimmy Greaves at Stamford Bridge.

They were playing for the London XI in the 1955-58 Fairs Cup when scoring those stadiums' first goals in European competition. They would therefore join Spurs and Chelsea, respectively, "later" that week. Like, the following Saturday.

You could, I suppose, say they were in fact "re-joining" the clubs in question but - sheesh - get a life, ya big pedant.

Greaves also, in that same London XI campaign, scored the first ever European goal at Highbury. Arsenal fans will prefer the Eduardo-Emirates stat.

Comment

I suppose it's too easy to ask which other London club have played home European games at Highbury? (Forgive me if it has already been discussed in this very thread)

Comment

QPR?

Comment

Originally posted by Dav O'Roso View Post
                                            QPR?
                                            QPR played some home European games at Wembley in the 1970s, don't know about Highbury.

Comment

Dav is right, they played at Highbury in the 1980s as Loftus Road's plastic pitch wasn't suitable.

Comment

Also staged a few play-offs, Highbury, in the days when play-offs were still a way of deciding things in routine European games. Rangers beating Sparta Rotterdam 3-2 in the 1959-60 European Cup quarter-final decider springs to mind.

As does geobra - Richard Mason - WSC legend who, if I recall correctly from a thread of a couple of years back, was there. Oh man, if we could lure geobra onto this thread we'd all be in trouble - he'd sort us out.

================================================== ===============================
                                                ================================================== ===============================

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 19-04-2018, 12:24. Reason: Page 65

Comment

What was the last season in which play-offs were used - was it when Bayern won their first Cup?

Comment

I don't know the real answer but just throwing in an unhelpful suggestion of Leeds v Stuttgart 1992-93

Comment

Working...
                                                    X