No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a big space to fill, and also the Club thinking they're mas que... Camp Nou rarely gets used, and it tends to be global acts like Springsteen, U2.
    However, the Three Tenors did a gig there in July 1997, so big Juve fan Pavarotti played at the home of the team who would, 18 years later, beat his team in the ECL final. Although he didn't live to see it.

Comment

I lose track, but have we done "First player to score on the same ground in the final of the European Championships, and the final of ECCC/UCL"?

I was just thinking that the quarter final results this season have denied David Silva and Jordi Alba that possibility, Fernando Torres and Juan Mata having already been removed from contention earlier in the competition. Has it ever happened before though? I've no idea myself, I leave that to those of you with better knowledge and quicker googling fingers.

Comment

Beautifully done, Walt. Insider knowledge too - actually getting to those gigs (Ryan? No? Okay) to get the research done properly.

You're the in-house expert here. I've been to a total of six concerts in my life but you'll find me frequently reporting it as three on these forums because I will only admit to The Smiths, U2 and Gillian Welch. And I constantly forget I've seen the Manics.

Yet I instantly remembered their little set at Anfield during the Hillsborough Justice concert in 97, got on-line to see all the acts but don't think Dodgy, The Beautiful South or Stereophonics contain any Juventus or Milan fans in their number. Although Paul Heaton was on that Gazetta Italia documentary on BT SPort the other week on BT Sport, talking about how he couldn't get to enough Serie A games. Maybe he picked up an affinity for I Rossoneri or Roma ...

That's us got at least three artists and two groups. I think Man U fans who've played the Nou Camp is the way to go next ...

And did St Etienne ever play Hampden? I know, for this question, they'd have have played in one of three Munich stadiums - but this particular enquiry is just about poetry.
        Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-04-2018, 16:58. Reason: I said Juve instead of Roma for Paul Heaton playing Anfield - this question is confusing enough without me complicating it

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
          Being a big space to fill, and also the Club thinking they're mas que... Camp Nou rarely gets used, and it tends to be global acts like Springsteen, U2.
          However, the Three Tenors did a gig there in July 1997, so big Juve fan Pavarotti played at the home of the team who would, 18 years later, beat his team in the ECL final. Although he didn't live to see it.
          jwdd27 - get the hankie out the top pocket and start dabbing your brow as the roses come hurtling towards you. Take a bow, sir. What a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
            I lose track, but have we done "First player to score on the same ground in the final of the European Championships, and the final of ECCC/UCL"?

I was just thinking that the quarter final results this season have denied David Silva and Jordi Alba that possibility, Fernando Torres and Juan Mata having already been removed from contention earlier in the competition. Has it ever happened before though? I've no idea myself, I leave that to those of you with better knowledge and quicker googling fingers.
            Der One ...

... Der Only:

Der Bomber also takes us into the realms of players to score a league goal and World Cup Final goal on same ground ... but this is not the thread for that discussion. Paul Breitner. I cannot break the sanctity of this thread. Mario Kempes. This is a European Cup/Champions League trivia thread and - probably all four Uruguay scorers in 1930 - I steadfastly refuse to discuss anything other than - Daniel Bertoni scored 80 goals for Independiente. Surely one of them must have been at River Plate - matters pertaining solely or partly to those competitions.

Jonny Rep was also denied the chance, at the semis of Euro 76, of revisiting the ground where he scored the winner in 73 for Ajax v Juve. But I reckon Der Bomber's yer answer there, Trlb and only man ever to do it so far. Great question and thank you for giving me the excuse to mention my all-time stats and spiritual hero.
            Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-04-2018, 12:37. Reason: Agne Simonnson and Nils Liedholm must have scored in the league v AIK at the Råsunda. Must have.

Comment

Rod Stewart might have played De Kuip in Rotterdam during one of his Celtic bothering phases but I'm buggered if I'm going to Google it

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                Beautifully done, Walt. Insider knowledge too - actually getting to those gigs (Ryan? No? Okay) to get the research done properly.

You're the in-house expert here. I've been to a total of six concerts in my life but you'll find me frequently reporting it as three on these forums because I will only admit to The Smiths, U2 and Gillian Welch. And I constantly forget I've seen the Manics.

Yet I instantly remembered their little set at Anfield during the Hillsborough Justice concert in 97, got on-line to see all the acts but don't think Dodgy, The Beautiful South or Stereophonics contain any Juventus or Milan fans in their number. Although Paul Heaton was on that Gazetta Italia documentary on BT SPort the other week on BT Sport, talking about how he couldn't get to enough Serie A games. Maybe he picked up an affinity for I Rossoneri or la Vecchia signora ...

That's us got at least three artists and two groups. I think Man U fans who've played the Nou Camp is the way to go next ...

And did St Etienne ever play Hampden?
                I was starting to think along the same lines as jwdd27, but on the permutations of Spanish clubs rather than Italian, but didn't get as far as researching the club affinities of Messrs Domingo and Carreras. In my defence I was too busy researching whether Peter Gabriel or any members of U2 were Man Utd (the former appeared at the Nou Camp at some Amnesty do, the latter in their own right). And then whether there was any big club affinities within the ranks of Coldplay or Muse, the more modern day proponents of stadium rock - but to no avail. Then I had to go to a meeting and during it started wondering whether any of Die Toten Hosen or Scorpions support BVB, and may have played live at the Olympiastadion.

Saint Etienne never played Hampden as far as I know, but I did see them at the Art School on the night of the EU referendum, playing in front of the European flag, everyone blissfully unaware of what was about to be unleashed when the results starting coming in. Clear connection to be had there - the two times supporters of Saint Etienne witnessed a famous European defeat in Glasgow.
                Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 18-04-2018, 15:25. Reason: Capitalisation of "Amnesty", lest anyone thought they were using the Nou Camp for lapsed prog rockets to turn themselves in.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  Saint Etienne never played Hampden as far as I know, but I did see them at the Art School on the night of the EU referendum, playing in front of the European flag, everyone blissfully unaware of what was about to be unleashed when the results starting coming in. Clear connection to be had there - the two times supporters of Saint Etienne witnessed a famous European defeat in Glasgow.
                  Nothing to add to that. Just needs re-posting.

Comment

I remember hearing that the Edge is a Man Utd fan in a newspaper article a few years ago but the only one I know is a football fan for certain is Larry and I think he's Liverpool

Comment

Comment

So jwdd27 hinted that U2 have played the Nou Camp - that would qualify the Edge for 2009 and 2011.

Dr Dre apparently supports Liverpool too so if him or U2 have played the Communale, Delle Alpi, Juventus Stadium and/or the San Siro, that's him and Larry Mullens Jnr on the list. (They must have, eh?!)

Placido has to have done at least one of Benfica's Stadiums of Light, the San Siro or Anfield.

And we'll also need evidence of Jose playing the Wankdorf, the Steuau stadium or the San Siro.

Nope. Sorry, lads. That's no use to us.

Comment

I don't think that either of those two tenors sang at one those grounds.

That said . . .

Comment

Why wouldn't they have played the San Siro? I mean, where the hell else are you gonnae do opera in Milan?!

Comment

They actually never played Milano as a trio (each of them obviously appeared at La Scala individually on multiple occasions)

The whole project was considered a bit gauche by the Milanese establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                I remember hearing that the Edge is a Man Utd fan in a newspaper article a few years ago but the only one I know is a football fan for certain is Larry and I think he's Liverpool
                                Boneo famously (at the Slane Castle concert in 2001) admitted he never watched football and had no idea who Jason McAteer was (who'd scored the goal that day that took Ireland to a World Cup finals, and whose name the crowd were chanting as U2 took to the stage).

Comment

Got another one... Liverpool fan Mark Owen played at the San Siro with Take That in 2011.
                                  Owen is one of those celebs rumoured to be quite good at football, and "had trials" at several clubs. Although, as with all such cases, his lack of success at those trials suggests he wasn't that good.

And, as Alex surmised, U2 have played San Siro too, so rumoured 'Pool fan Larry Mullen Jr is in.
                                  Mullen added the "Jr" suffix when U2 started to get big, and his father began to receive very large tax bills intended for Junior. Given U2's rumoured accountancy arrangements in recent years, his Da would probably be happy to get Jr's tax bill now - could save himself a few bob.(If he's still alive. Not going to check, I have better things to research. Bloody Coldplay and Genesis... play all the football stadiums, but seemingly too posh to support a losing finalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Boneo famously (at the Slane Castle concert in 2001) admitted he never watched football and had no idea who Jason McAteer was (who'd scored the goal that day that took Ireland to a World Cup finals, and whose name the crowd were chanting as U2 took to the stage).
                                    Sure if he’s into any team sport at all it’ll be eggball more than likely from his schooling. Bet he pretends to be mad into the GAA now the Dubs are good.

Comment

Before I forget ...

Comment

Sterling work, pop-pickers. So far we’ve confirmed …

Jim Kerr (and, I’m sure, Charlie Burchill) – Simple Minds & Celtic; De Kuip (see the 1970 final)
                                        Suggs and Woody – Madness & Chelsea Old Trafford (see the 2008 final)
                                        Luciano Pavarotti – solo & Juventus Nou Camp (2015 final)
                                        Rod Stewart – Python Lee Jackson, Faces, Jeff Beck Group and solo & Celtic; De Kuip (1970 final)
                                        Larry Mullens Jnr - U2 & Liverpool San Siro (2007 final)
                                        The Edge – U2 & Man United Nou Camp (2009 and 2011 finals)
                                        Mark Owen – Take That & LiverpoolSan Siro (2007 final)

Now we have another reason for people to find Genesis, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel seriously fucking annoying (No amnesty for them, Walt – none whatsoever!) but Walt’s pursuing a good line of investigation re Ruhr rockers playing the Munich Olympic Stadium or the Allianz, what with Bayern beating Dortmund in the 2013 final.

That last one could also bleed into fans playing at the stadium where their club WON the final but I’ve as much appetite for that as I have for starting "fans playing the stadium where there team lost the FA Cup final" simply coz I’ve thought of Elton John.

And no points for the fact I’ve seen the Proclaimers gigging at the Champions League final. Hampden 2002. Two Hibs fans playing on the same pitch as the team their club would have faced in the final if they hadn’t lost the 1955-56 semi-final …
                                        Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-04-2018, 20:08. Reason: And, Frankly, when am I NOT thinking of Elton John.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          They actually never played Milano as a trio (each of them obviously appeared at La Scala individually on multiple occasions)

The whole project was considered a bit gauche by the Milanese establishment.
                                          Having watched traffic stopping because my sister-in-law wore sandals with bare feet (ankle-length dress, jumper) down the Corso Buenos Aries in April, I find this totally believable. Vesti my Giubba, why don't yese.

Nevertheless, I give you the cover from Enrico Caruso's debut album Milan 0 Napoli 4:

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 18-04-2018, 20:47. Reason: Does anyone know if Paul "Gazetta Italia" Heaton has an Italian team?

Comment

Roger Waters is a confirmed Gooner - as is Dave Gilmour according to this - but while I can find pics of The Wall at the Stade de France, where they lost the 2006 final, I can't prove Floyd ever played the Nou Camp.

Comment

Pink Floyd have played the Camp Nou

http://www.bestourism.com/items/di/1...pain%26b%3D211

But probably not since 2006 (at least not together).

Comment

That'll do for me, Rogin. Another brick in the wall.

Comment

Manchester United fan Russell Watson performed a full set of songs at the Camp Nou before the 1999 final.

Comment

And in a suitably downmarket comparison, Pete Wylie played on a collapsing temporary stage next to a row of portaloos in the car park outside the Ataturk in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X