Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neymar definitely. Cafu?

Comment

Likely to be a list of South Americans, this. Any European born players done it?

Comment

Walter Samuel and Ronaldinho are two others.

There are likely more.

I would be shocked to hear that any European has done it. It would be unusual enough if anyone other than a Brazilian or Argentine had.

Comment

Danilo - unused sub in Cardiff, second half sub in Milan in 2016 for Real, scored Santos winner in Libertadores final against Penarol in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Likely to be a list of South Americans, this. Any European born players done it?
            Closest I can get is Seedorf winning the Rio de Janeiro thingy with Botafogo in his warm-down.

Comment

Ronaldinho may well be the only one to win the Champions League first.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-08-2017, 11:09.

Comment

By Googling (i.e. cheating), I found that Dida seems to be have been the first (Cruzeiro, Milan); he also won the World Youth Cup.

How about players to win the Copa America and European Cup? This list is longer. There is one Manchester United player on the list whom I would not have guessed. I'll give you the earliest to do it because he's very tough: the Real goalkeeper at Hampden in 1960.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogelio_Dom%C3%ADnguez

Honorable mention to Jose Santamaria: was denied a place in the 1950 Uruguay team by a club v country dispute; then in 1954 he was in the FIFA All-Star XI. But he never won the Copa America or Libertadores. Still around when Real won the Cup in 1966.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-08-2017, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  How about players to win the Copa America...
                  Does this limit it to 1975 and after then?

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  There is one Manchester United player on the list whom I would not have guessed.
                  Was Anderson in the Brazil squad in 2007?

Comment

I've been totally cheating but think, between us, we've come up with a comprehensive list of players to win the Libertadores and European Cup/Champions League:

Dida (Cruzeiro 1997, Milan 2003 & 07)
                    Roque Junior (Palmeiras 1999, Milan [sub] 2003)*
                    Cafu (Sao Paulo 1992 & 93, Milan 2007 [unused sub])
                    Carlos Tevez (Boca Juniors 2003, Manchester United 2008)
                    Walter Samuel (Boca Juniors 2000, Internazionale 2010)
                    Ronaldinho (Barcelona 2006, Atletico Mineiro 2013)
                    Neymar (Santos 2011, Barcelona 2015)**
                    Danilo (Santos 2011, Real Madrid 2016 [sub] & 2017 [unused sub])

Well done, Sam - in Glasgow it's now lunchtime and I still haven't shaved. Thanks.

*scored a pen in Palmeiras shootout win over Deportivo Cali in 99 final but missed one in their shootout loss to Walter Samuel's Boca in 2000 final. Despite being on the pitch at full time, didn't take one for Milan at Old Trafford in 2003, letting Dida do all the work.

**Tevez scored away to Santos for Boca in 2003 final and Danilo for Santos at home to Penarol in 2011 final but Neymar (also for Santos at home to Penarol in 2011 as well as Barca's winner v Juventus in Berlin in 2015, and PSG's 2018 consolation against Maribor in Kiev) is the only man to have scored in both finals.
                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-08-2017, 12:11. Reason: It won't be comprehensive. If I've been involved it just can't be ...

Comment

Kleberson?

Comment

Nothing useful to add here other than to say I've borrowed a couple of these (specifically countries who have won a major tournament* but not had a club win the European Cup** and vice versa) for a football quiz this weekend that I got badgered into helping set the questions for. Thanks guys, the questions add a more interesting dimension to my run of the mill list.

*always using the "(World Cup or European Championship)" clarification.
                        **always using the "(or Champions League)" clarification.

Comment

You've never met me, Walt, have you ... or seen pictures?

Just by way of conversation, where exactly is this quiz and is there a cash prize?
                          Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-08-2017, 14:14. Reason: Or Drink? Or a hamper - ooh I like a hamper...

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Does this limit it to 1975 and after then?
                            No, because as I already noted, Rogelio Domínguez had already achieved it by 1960.

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Was Anderson in the Brazil squad in 2007?
                            Yes, he is the correct answer.

Comment

The ones I have so far (Copa America/European Cup): Rogelio Domínguez, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Cordoba, Anderson, Dani Alvez, Caceras, Adriano, Julio Cesar, Maicon, Suarez, Claudio Bravo.

To add: 1998-2002 Real Madrid players: Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, etc
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-08-2017, 15:20.

Comment

Rabah Madjer, Yaya Toure, Sammy Eto'o ... oops, no - sorry!...

Comment

Rafael Marquez ...

...no, Alex! No, no - NO!

Comment

Harry Kewell's won the Champions League and the OFC Nations Cup - and only lost 1-0 after extra time in the Asian Cup final. Is that the closest anyone has come to winning the European Cup/Champions League and TWO DIFFERENT international confederation titles?

Fuck - is that even how you word it?
                                    Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-08-2017, 15:43. Reason: Nope. Really isn't.

Comment

I was misremembering my own stat there, having not used it in so long. Last night I was thinking Tevez had been the only player to have won both continental club titles until Ronaldinho did so in 2011, but what it actually was is that Tevez remains the only Argentine to have done it. Which is remarkable given the dominance Argentine clubs have enjoyed in the Libertadores (and the fact that the European Cup hasn't exactly been a competition Argentine players have struggled to win).

Comment

In 1971, Johan Cruyff became the first player to start a European Cup final wearing a number higher than 11, having adopted 14 as 'his' number earlier that season (he wore 10 in the 1969 final defeat to Milan).

While he obviously played as a forward, it was number 5 which was the one missing from the starting 11.

Comment

I really wouldn't credit Harry Kewell with "winning" a European Cup. Unless subbing yourself off 15 minutes into a final is viewed as any significant contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                                            You've never met me, Walt, have you ... or seen pictures?

Just by way of conversation, where exactly is this quiz and is there a cash prize?
                                            I couldn't possibly tell you that Alex, you'd be a giant amongst pygmies. Though there is a round on football in Cumbria which may level the playing field slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                              I was misremembering my own stat there, having not used it in so long. Last night I was thinking Tevez had been the only player to have won both continental club titles until Ronaldinho did so in 2011, but what it actually was is that Tevez remains the only Argentine to have done it. Which is remarkable given the dominance Argentine clubs have enjoyed in the Libertadores (and the fact that the European Cup hasn't exactly been a competition Argentine players have struggled to win).
                                              And look what you started, Sam ... everyone's really annoyed with you. I've yet to meet the football fan who doesn't just hate having to correct another's trivia mistakes (for example, Walter Samuel - the only other Argentine to do it. And I'm pinching that from ursus). Don't do it again. For at least five, ten minutes.

Aye, like you say, it is incredible though. When I was searching through Wiki ... erm, when I was searching through my mind palace for all the Libertadores-winning clubs, it was just "Independiente, Independiente, Indepen...."

So like Tevez though. Bit of an individual. Apart from the "crossing Manchester" thing, and him also losing the UCL final with Juve and United, I remember when him and Mascherano went to Corinthians it was still relatively rare for Argentines to be playing in Brazil.

Least it was according to a piece I read in WSC at the time (which is stored, verbatim, in my mind palace... just next to my PIN number 1,2,3,4 - which I remember as the same year the Mongols conquered the Jin dynasty)

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                              I really wouldn't credit Harry Kewell with "winning" a European Cup. Unless subbing yourself off 15 minutes into a final is viewed as any significant contribution.
                                              Aye but at least he came on for the last half hour of the losing final in 2007, Rogin - kinda like a bit of homework to make up for missing most of the class earlier. Plus he has all those cars and married her from Crossroads or Brookside or whatever. And Cafu's only getting on the list as a totally unused sub, for Milan in that 2007 final ... and how many soaps has his wife been in? Eh?

Rest my case.
                                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-08-2017, 20:33. Reason: Kewell and Cafu in the same post. Yeah. You've got a point, Rogin.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                I couldn't possibly tell you that Alex, you'd be a giant amongst pygmies. Though there is a round on football in Cumbria which may level the playing field slightly.
                                                I'm giant alright, Walt - chicken wings and donners mostly. Detailed, accurate directions is all it usually takes to lose me.

Good luck with the quiz - that's a fekin pearler from denishurley a few posts back. I'll be pinching that just for random chat, far less quizzes.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                                  In 1971, Johan Cruyff became the first player to start a European Cup final wearing a number higher than 11, having adopted 14 as 'his' number earlier that season (he wore 10 in the 1969 final defeat to Milan).

While he obviously played as a forward, it was number 5 which was the one missing from the starting 11.
                                                  Now that ursus "deep throat" arctos has blown the whole Warren Beatty myth, I'm having this as my favourite piece of European Cup trivia.
                                                  Last edited by Alex Anderson; 31-08-2017, 20:47. Reason: Will be nice to hear bouncers saying "No-one gives a fuck about number 14s" as they stop me pestering clients. A wee change.

Comment

Here's another one for you, Alex.

Arie Haan, who was a substitute for that match against Panathinaikos, came on at the beginning of the second half, and scored, was wearing number 15.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X