Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite.

Comment

A fact I read today: Only five Englishmen have ever scored in the top flight of the Bundesliga.

Any takers?

Comment

Lookman, Hargreaves, Keegan, Woodcock and A.N. Other

Comment

Four out of five ain't bad.

Comment

Peter Hobday?

Comment

How the fuck did you know that?

Comment

I have this vague memory of him playing most of his career there when nobody did that (like a d-list John Charles). I had no idea that he'd ever scored a goal but the only other possibility is that kid who plays for Dortmund and I imagine he probably hasn't even made the first team yet

Comment

Jadon Sancho has five or six appearances for Dortmund, but hasn’t scored.

Dave Watson only played two matches for Werder Bremen

According to Wiki, Hobday never made an official appearance in England, but played 271 matches in Germany, most of them in the lower divisions
                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 07-02-2018, 19:30.

Comment

Another Englishman who was hanging around at the same time as Peter Hobday was Neale Marmon, although he did actually play in England as well. I don't think he ever played in the top flight.

I saw him play once, for FC Homburg. He wasn't only the slowest footballer I've ever seen; he was the slowest adult male I've ever seen. I reckon my late father-in-law was quicker, and it took him a day and a half to get to the lavatory.

Comment

Pedantic point - just because a dual national might declare for one country in international Football, it doesn't stop them being from both x and y. Therefore German-born German international Aaron Hunt is another Englishman with Bundesliga goals.
                      Last edited by Janik; 07-02-2018, 19:52.

Comment

Lewis Holtby too.

Comment

This is true. But German-born German international Aaron Hunt is on record as saying, "I'm not English. My mother's English, but I'm not.", so he doesn't count.

Lewis Holtby would be another one. (Edit: as has just been mentioned.)

Comment

If one wants to be really pedantic, then the tie breaker surely is for which country such a player has declared.

Comment

I bet Peter Hobday or Neale Marmon never had the need to "declare" for anyone

Comment

I have a vague memory at Werder Bremen being shocked at how bad Dave Watson was, which would explain why he only played twice. I think he was an England regular at the time too.

Strange Cup game at the Waldstadion last night. Mainz gifted Eintracht three goals - one own goal and two defensive errors I'm not even going to adjectivally insult schoolboys with. Eintracht could then just relax and knock the ball around and preserve themselves for the visit of G-Man's Köln on Saturday. I took my boys U15 team, an organisational challenge that cost me as much time and energy as it would have done to take them up Everest. But we all made it there and home again, with only one public emergency button hilariously activated at the Hauptbahnhof on the way back.

Comment

Watson was red carded for violent content in his second match and banned for eight weeks.

When the suspension was up he claimed to be injured and missed the next Bundesliga match, only to turn up with England in midweek.

Tony Woodcock he’s not.

Comment

Tony Woodcock wasn't exactly a super hit either. Not a flop, but no club legend either.

Comment

Yes, but only because he refused to put on a pair of plastic knockers in February and go, "Det Hennes, det lieb ick mehr als meen Fru".

Comment

So, now that your boss is Finance Minister, I assume that the government-funded Crazy Golf promotion tour is a go, eh?

Are you starting in Marbella or St. Tropez?

As to Woodcock, I was talking more about his long-term commitment to the country, rather than just what he did on the field
                                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 08-02-2018, 16:41.

Comment

If I saw my"boss" in the street - and he lives but 300 yards from where I do -, I'd cross the road just so I could smack him in the mouth. Fucking devious liar. Should have fallen on his sword in the summer, when he let the city burn while the Elphi was fiddling. Helmut Schmidt would have rather shot himself than do what König Olaf has done.
                                          Last edited by treibeis; 08-02-2018, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                            Yes, but only because he refused to put on a pair of plastic knockers in February and go, "Det Hennes, det lieb ick mehr als meen Fru".
                                            Well, wearing that Arsenal shirt was enough of a stupid dress-up. And your Kölsch sounds more like Bauer Hansen from Ahrensböck after a few years in Berlin.

Comment

You can't speak Kölsch. That's the nicest thing a German's ever said to me.

Comment

Peter Hobday is continuing another British pro tradition with a sports shop after retirement

You can also learn football with Peter Hobday

it looks as though he does his own websites too.

and he's sponsoring a football team for refugees
                                                Last edited by Nefertiti2; 08-02-2018, 21:32.

Comment

Leverkusen got an indirect free kick against Hertha Berlin for the keeper's cock-up. This gave us the too rare sight of a wall on the goal line, and the not very surprising failure to convert.

I bet that the number of goals scored from indirect free kicks is lower than the number scored when the keeper tries to avoid conceding one (doesn't handle a sloppy back pass, etc). Since this can never be tested in laboratory conditions, I'll declare that bet won, truthy beats proof.

Comment

At 1:05 here (US commentator warning)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X