Cheick Tiote RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheick Tiote RIP

He's died after collapsing in training in China.

From BBC Sport

Former Newcastle United midfielder Cheick Tiote has died aged 30 after collapsing during training in China, a spokesman for the player has announced.

Cheick Tiote RIP

Awful news.

There seems to be a surge in cardiac problems in young African born/heritage players. Is this blog (written at the time of Patrick Ekeng's death a year ago) accurate and right to wonder what the causes are?

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

Terrible news.

I've no big or impressive words for when owt like this happens, so will suffice by remembering him as the author of the single most out-of-control moment I have experienced as a football fan.

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

That's what immediately sprung to my mind too, was just going to dig out the video myself.

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

That blog is quite good.

There is indeed a genetic predisposition to this kind of cardiac arrest in certain African populations, including their descendants in the US.

Hank Gathers was probably the most notable basketball star to die in this fashion, but there have been others, and some accomplished athletes have retired immediately after being diagnosed.

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

Terribly sad, there's not really much more one can say.

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

I thought he was older than 30 to be honest, that is way too young.

dogbeak wrote: Terrible news.
              I've no big or impressive words for when owt like this happens, so will suffice by remembering him as the author of the single most out-of-control moment I have experienced as a football fan.
              That was actually his only goal for the club. Those first few seasons at Newcastle he was an outstanding player. I thought he might move on to something better, i.e. one of the Champions League regulars, but he had some bad luck with injuries and seemed to fall out of favour as time went on.

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

Aye, I drafted twice an earlier response along the lines that his goal against Arsenal was the only spectacular moment of his NUFC career, him being by nature an unspectacular footballer (beyond the usual bookings).

That said, his first couple of seasons with us he was absolutely rock solid. I suppose, in a week that sees Gael Bigirimana sign for Motherwell, the lesson is that the effects of being Pardewed can be long-term.

Comment

Cheick Tiote RIP

I don't know - in front of the overwhelming absoluteness of death any word is futile. RIP, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                  X