No announcement yet.

Racism in English football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I look back on previous posts I see that this point has already been intimated.

Apologies.

Comment

Stėll worth repeating.

Comment

Especially from a Manchester City supporter. Cudos TC.

Comment

I find this so frustrating as it could have been handled so quickly and effectively, and makes me wonder where Manchester City's PR person is or was.

Just say it was dumb, that Bernardo was trying to be funny with a friend, but that you accept any punishment because it's not appropriate and the team wants to move forward with the season. Easy peasy.

Then back to producing the team love fests that every streaming service seems to love to feature, and make sure Silva and Mendy are seen hanging out with each other's families.

Edit: as it is, it's just a repellent team response. ' J/K. lol. Everyone is so sensitive. He's a good boy at heart. '
          Last edited by matt j; 27-09-2019, 23:54.

Comment

Fair dues TC. Though I would hope that we would all know enough at this stage, to be aware that this could just as easily be our club involved in something like this, and that the probability is that the people running our personal favourite club probably wouldn't behave very differently. Most clubs would happily burn society completely to the ground to avoid having an important player suspended for any reason, other than imprisonment.

It would simply depend on how well the manager of the club you support knows what the rules are. They're not hard to follow. You just can't make any reference to another players skin colour, nationality, religion of sexuality, either on the pitch, or on social media. And if you do, you're going to get a mandatory minimum ban. it doesn't matter if you're luis suarez trying to wind up patrice Evra, If you're john terry "Denying" he said something, if you're rio Ferdinand calling ashley Cole "A choc ice", if You're carlton cole making a fairly funny joke ultimately at the expense of the home office. You can't say it. And it's been that way for over a decade now.

Pep Guardiola clearly doesn't know this. and Either no-one is telling him, or no-one is in a position to tell him. If this wasn't the case, this would never have happened in the first place, because he would know this is a really easy way to lose a player for six matches, so he would have made a point of ensuring that no-one did it. it would simply be another detail for him to deal with, and he's clearly very good at that sort of thing. If he knew what the rules were, he would have known that at this point he has now lost silva for six games, and he would have known that there was no point in complaining about this or trying this bullshit banter excuse. What he is doing now is completely doomed to failure as an exercise in advocacy, and he is lining himself up for a proper beating when he inevitably has to deal with the outcome of this process. It's clear that he thinks it's insane that one of his players is going to get banned, in a country that is in the process of burning itself to the ground because a lot of people don't like foreigners.

If there was someone to sit him down and explain the situation to him, there is a way to emerge out of this that minimizes the damage to the player, the club and its reputation, er, and enables raheem sterling to look you in the eye. And that is basically hold your hands up. You know how this situation is going too end, so Tell everyone that Player X is generally a grand lad, and was just engaging in some stupid edgelord banter with a friend of his, but doing it on social media was an absolute no-no, and while his likely six match ban is steep for the offence, The rules are the rules, because everyone has the right to play football without having to deal with people making reference to their colour, religion, nationality or sexuality, and the only way to ensure that is to have a zero tolerance policy for such references either on the pitch, or on social media. Then take responsibility for not having made this sufficiently clear to the players, and promise to do better as a club.

That would be the smart thing to do, it would be the right thing to do. You take responsibility for a mistake, you promise to change your ways, people take your defence of Silva more seriously, and though silva is going to get suspended, It will be over, and people will think that you made a mistake but will improve. And you completely defuse the situation. Because that should be city's main aim at this point. The thing that football clubs, and "football men" struggle with, and the thing that catches them out time after time, is that the right thing to do, is generally the right thing to do.

{hah, I got distracted by stuff going on here, and that took so long to write, that this may be the first time that a sharp succinct Tl:dr has actually preceded the wordy post.}
            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 28-09-2019, 01:52.

Comment

"I could ultimately see him leaving over this."

If he goes, he goes. And if he goes defending this mess then I'll be shedding no tears.

Comment

Meanwhile, in the Graun, Johnny Marr names Guardiola featuring discussions with footballing favourites.

On the same page, Clare Balding talks to Lucy Bronze, and the feature quote is "The racism in the men's game is staggering. I find it extraordinary and frightening... I've never heard a racist taunt watching women's football"

Oh the humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                  Meanwhile, in the Graun, Johnny Marr names Guardiola featuring discussions with footballing favourites.

On the same page, Clare Balding talks to Lucy Bronze, and the feature quote is "The racism in the men's game is staggering. I find it extraordinary and frightening... I've never heard a racist taunt watching women's football"

Oh the humanity!
                  Yet the only real action came in the women's game when a player was sacked for making racist comments during a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Oh the humanity!
                    Yeh, women's football really needs to up their racism game if they want to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Yet the only real action came in the women's game when a player was sacked for making racist comments during a match.
                      Or when the England manager was sacked for making comments to at least one player. Bronze has an interestingly short memory.

Comment

Except, he wasn't sacked for that. He was sacked for an inappropriate sexual relationship with a player during his previous employment. Which the FA settled an unfair dismissal claim for. Trying to wiggle out of sacking him for the racism allegations they had initially dismissed backfired on them rather.

Comment

Disgraced in the women's game but readily accepted back by the men's. I think we can agree on that.

Comment

That Lucy Bronze comment is a massive face palm moment.

Comment

Wasn't Lucy Bronze one of those that fucked over Aloku when the allegations against Sampson broke? No surprise "egregious" Balding is gushing regardless.

Comment

Bernado Silva charged by the FA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49906026

Comment

They were actually Balding's words.

Comment

And were in a context specifically referring to the behaviour of Football crowds, in the stadium and on social media. Which is not a category to which Sampson and Jones belong(ed).

Comment

Might have been an attempt to draw Bronze out on the matter, but it didn't work if so

Comment

Working...
                                      X