No announcement yet.

Racism in English football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't beat yourself up over Beardsley, Janik. We all love the what the person does and how it makes us feel. I wish John Wayne, James Stewart, Gary Sinise and Kelsey Grammer weren't all right wing arseholes cause I love a lot of their work. Also, don't give up totally on your club, the current dickwad is only renting it from you.

Comment

Ha, no, it's about maths. Talk about that, and I get distracted from the point very, very easily. Even when I know I really shouldn't head off down the sidetrack.

And I'm very definitely not a Newcastle United fan. They have always featured near the top of my strong irrational dislike list.

Anyway, I came back to this thread to note more racism that happened to be in the North-East, though the club here appears to be reacting to it appropriately.

Comment

bernardo Silva has made a right cunt of himself today. Posting a picture of a young benjamin Mendy, alongside the.....problematic emblem of a spanish type of chocolate. He quickly took it down and complained about not being able to joke with a teammate any more.

Comment

To gauge how offensive the image was, the foot of the page at this link has a cartoon that was used to advertise the chocolate in the 70s/80s.

***Not Safe For Work***

https://onafrica.org/2010/03/03/bgm1267614467/

Comment

Bernardo Silva can fuck off. Apparently his racism extends beyond this egregious shite.

Comment

I know someone who works at City. He told me Bernardo Silva is the nicest man in the whole City squad, someone who goes out of his way to help people and spend time talking. He said Bernardo Silva is the only player he'd not be embarrassed to bring to the pub and introduce to his mates. So obviously this is very disappointing to see.

Bernardo Silva's tweet was very clumsy, and very ill advised. That's the sort of questionable joke you can make to a mate in private, when both sides are aware of the dynamic, and when you're 100% certain it will be taken in the spirit it was intended. What you definitely can't do is tweet it out at a time when football, racism and Twitter are doing an uncomfortable dance and is very much in the media spotlight.

Footballers are exceptionally thick or exceptionally naive. "You can't even joke with a friend these days...". Mate. You've got 600k Twitter followers. You're not joking with a friend. You're broadcasting this shite to the whole world. Honestly. No wonder Ferguson banned it when he was in charge.

Comment

Yeah, I would be perfectly prepared to believe that he actually was just joking with a friend of his. But that's because I am also prepared to believe that he doesn't know just what was so offensively wrong with what he was doing. The thing is became crushingly apparent about that Inter milan supporters article was that even though it was perhaps one of the most self-evidently stupid things I've ever read, it is a brand of stupidity that is culturally normal among large groups of people. I believe him, and that is just so depressing.

Comment

Sounds like a bad one at Hartlepool on Saturday too. It's years since I've heard any overt racist abuse chanted/shouted at a game I've been at, but it seems to becoming more prevalent. Fair play to the Pools players for standing up for their opponents in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    Bernardo Silva can fuck off. Apparently his racism extends beyond this egregious shite.
                    Really? Expand.

As suggested elsewhere I have only heard very positive comments about his behaviour so this is grimly disappointing. Still, that's private education for you.

So what else has he done?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Really? Expand.

As suggested elsewhere I have only heard very positive comments about his behaviour so this is grimly disappointing. Still, that's private education for you.

So what else has he done?
                      He did some video where Mendy was wearing a black t-shirt and he said "Why aren't you wearing a shirt, only a watch and backpack..."

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

He did some video where Mendy was wearing a black t-shirt and he said "Why aren't you wearing a shirt, only a watch and backpack..."
                        Jesus Christ.

Comment

Banter.

Comment

CNN actually covered the Silva tweet on it's US home page, much to my surprise, I expected to see nothing after reading about it here.

As apparently did Mr. Squires in this week's cartoon.

Comment

Credit where credit is due - codheads respond to the events of the weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49723507

Well done people.

Comment

Pep made a horrendous hames of the press conference after the league cup game. He just doesn't get why this is a problem, or how the punishment system for this sort of thing works. He's going about this in such an arse-backwards way that This could be turning into a real problem for him. I could ultimately see him leaving over this. Silva seems likely to get a six match ban for this, and pep is not going to be happy about losing one of his best players like this. He's likely to say a bunch of stuff that is going to get him properly hammered, and he'll take the hump.

Comment

Keep digging, Josep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49855441

Comment

I'd never heard of Conguitos, so I just searched for it. Silva is bang-to-rights...

Comment

King Kenny can WhatsApp Pep with details of his favourite tshirt printer

Comment

"He's a lovely lad" in four or five languages beneath a picture of Silva celebrating a hat-trick.
                                        Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 27-09-2019, 16:13.

Comment

....and his twitter handle on the back.

Comment

Naughty, but I wish someone would do something about the real fash at football, not a few dopey millionaires.

Comment

As in the ones bashing people, making monkey noises or worse. And attacking foreigners in their spare time.

Comment

But it's the "dopey millionaires" that give them reason to think they're empowered.

And their apologist chums.

Comment

The biggest surprise/disappointment is that John Barnes appears to be dismissive of the controversy.
                                                  Last edited by Diable Rouge; 27-09-2019, 21:43.

Comment

City are handling this with the same sense of arrogant righteous indignation and ignorance of the real issue at stake with which Liverpool handled the Suarez case.

And they deserve similar universal condemnation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X