Old Enough to Drink and Superdraft - MLS 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed that first time around.

Somewhat surprised the “disruptive” muppet didn’t suggest floating the ground on the salt ponds.

Comment

He had a longer interview in sfgate.com. He didn't want to shell out for the environmental survey without the guarantee of an expansion team, then he discovered he couldn't rent parking from the hotels around the park where he wanted to build the stadium due to government regulations. Without the ability to move up, the Dragons are to him just an expensive moneylosing hobby.

Comment

Potential World Cup cities have been whittled down. Bye bye Ottawa, Regina, Birmingham, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, and San Antonio.

The extra netting the Yankees are putting up will not be taken down for NYCFC games next year.

Vancouver is rumored to be killing off their USL team for next year.

Comment

Far more shocked that Regina was ever in the running than I am that it's been eliminated.

I am not sure who the hell we're kidding - there is no stadium in Canada with the possible exception of Rogers Centre which could host a WC game without $500 M in upgrades. Maybe BC place, not sure.

Comment

Have a look at the FIFA guidelines for World Cup Stadiums. Check out section 7 - the hospitality section - in particular. Not sure how any of stadia meet those criteria without a whole hell of a lot of refit. Let alone meet the 40K seat minimum.

Comment

Dallas, reportedly, gets to skate on their substitution screwup v Orlando. Just a fine, no points lost/forfeit.

Expansion announcement around December 19/20.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                Far more shocked that Regina was ever in the running than I am that it's been eliminated.

I am not sure who the hell we're kidding - there is no stadium in Canada with the possible exception of Rogers Centre which could host a WC game without $500 M in upgrades. Maybe BC place, not sure.
                BC Place probably would. though it'd need a temporary grass surface. It's capacity is 60,000+

Comment

I'm disappointed that Pittsburgh didn't make the cut. Did Philadelphia or DC? Baltimore?

Then again, I'm boycotting it, probably.

Comment

Philly, DC, and Baltimore all did.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      BC Place probably would. though it'd need a temporary grass surface. It's capacity is 60,000+
                      I thought capacity had been reduced substantially in the last round of renos, but maybe that's just the way it looks for MLS. Anyways, it's not so much the field as the ludicrous hospitality requirements for VIPs and VVIPs. Not sure any N.AM stadium from the 80s could make it work.

Comment

Most MLS games are half capacity (there are drapes covering the upper-tiers.) I imagine FIFA will compromise on the VIP areas, they'll have little choice.

Comment

That doesn't sound like the FIFA I know but perhaps you're right.

Comment

NASL, when rejected for D3 status, were given 30 days to apply for D3. They didn't bother.

Courtesy of the Yankees making the ALCS, NYCFC's last home game has been switched to.....Citifield.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                              Most MLS games are half capacity (there are drapes covering the upper-tiers.) I imagine FIFA will compromise on the VIP areas, they'll have little choice.
                              Do the Lions fill it to capacity?

Comment

So is that the end of NASL?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  Do the Lions fill it to capacity?
                                  No. They get around the same attendances as the Caps (or they did until their season went south over the last month.) They usually play with the upper tier open though. It makes the place look half empty — which it is — but allows for the possibility of a bigger crowd. The Caps would rather turn a few people away, and charge more for tickets, to maintain a more intense atmosphere. Assuming they get a bye into the Conference semi-final they'll more than likely open the curtains, but it's not a gimme.

Comment

Adding to the fun, any NYCFC home playoff game scheduled for 11/5 has been preemptively moved to 11/1, at Rutgers. Because Yankee Stadium is hosting a Maryland-Rutgers doubleheader on the 4th, and Citifield is being turned into a golf course that weekend.

Comment

Completes the Tri State Parlay.

Yahtzee!

Comment

TFC looked indifferent-to-mediocre in a 1-0 win over the Impact on a day where we received the Supporters' Shield, tied the all-time best points total (68, by the 98 Galaxy) and extended our lead at the top of the table to 12 points (previous largest-ever gap was 10, also 98 Galaxy). The highlight was definitely Giovinco hitting the post twice on two successive penalty kicks (first one re-taken because the keeper moved too early). Fortunately no one else in the east looked any good today either. I think we may slouch our way to the final.

Comment

The Caps needed a win yesterday to clinch first in the West. They led for 85 minutes but couldn't finish SJ off and conceded a goal. Portland and Seattle OTOH both buried their opponents. Vancouver needs a point in Portland next week to get a bye. I wouldn't bet the house.

Comment

Press conference in Columbus on Tuesday.

In which the Crew owner will say, build me a new stadium downtown, or I move the team to Austin starting in 2019.

And the first game after Trinidad will be against Portugal away next month.
                                            Last edited by jefe; 17-10-2017, 04:29.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                                              Press conference in Columbus on Tuesday.

In which the Crew owner will say, build me a new stadium downtown, or I move the team to Austin starting in 2019.

And the first game after Trinidad will be against Portugal away next month.
                                              The one they have isn't very old.
                                              They could just move the team to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky and rename it. It was dumb to put Ohio's only hockey team in Columbus. Maybe it was dumb to give them a soccer team.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/columbus-...le-austin-move
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-10-2017, 14:41.

Comment

Very mixed feelings about this. I hate the franchise system, and hope the worldwide nature of the soccer economy eventually breaks the MLS model. I hate the way US sports teams blackmail cities over stadiums and tax breaks. And that very much sucks for Crew fans.

That aside, though, I would love to have an MLS team and academy in Austin, if they can finance the stadium privately. Not sure what this would do to the announced plans by the Circuit of the Americas ownership group to bring a USL club to Austin in 2019.

Comment

They could unscrew that Crew stadium, pack it up in a couple of medium-sized trucks, and re-assemble it at any new and willing franchise within hours. Downtown or not.

Comment

Ha ha, yes, imp.

In other incredibly important American soccer news, Big Sam and Larry White are gunning to be managers of the US men's team, a job which rightfully belongs to El Piojo Herrera in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X