No announcement yet.

2017 Copa Libertadores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrendous result. Very harsh on River going forward - they should have scored at least once and probably twice during an actually impressive second half performance - but they were awful at the back. Wilstermann's second came early in the second half and their third late in the same - in between there'd been a period of about 30 or 35 minutes when River were absolutely all over them but couldn't get the ball in the net.

Three goals is a hell of a cushion for a team of Wilstermann's defensive nous, though.

I'm sure there's at least one Club Atlético Jorge Newbery in Argentina, Rogin.

Comment

As I was saying, the result of that quarter-final was never in any doubt at all. Ignacio Scocco becomes the second man in Libertadores history - and first in the knockout stages - to score five goals in one game, and River win the second leg 8-0 to set up a semi-final with the winners of Lanús v San Lorenzo, which is currently 2-0 to Lanús (and therefore 2-2 on aggregate) with 28 minutes left.

In the other half of the draw, it's a Barcelona v Grêmio semi-final.

My money for the trophy, as it has been for a while (or would have been if I put money on these things), is on whoever comes through what is now the all-Argentine half of the draw.

Comment

River obviously looked excellent. They came out flying and never stopped. The Perez goal is worth watching on Youtube for folks who didn't see it. The goal wasn't as slick as some of the swerving runs we've seen from Argentina's two most famous little men but the distance covered in that run make the goal very impressive.

What's the story with Luan. I didn't see anything about a transfer. Is he hurt?

Comment

Remarkable comeback by River. I would imagine that the swing of 11 goals (i.e. from -3 to +8) between away and home legs must be the biggest ever in either South America or Europe.

In the other half of the draw a very tight and intense game between Grêmio and Botafogo. It could have gone either way but Barrios' header clinched it. Botafogo can be very proud of their run in the competition this year and in particular manager Jair Ventura deserves a lot of credit.

Santos will be very disappointed at the manner of their exit, playing too defensively and unable to react after Barcelona scored.

Daniel - Luan has been injured but was on the bench on Wednesday and came on for the last few minutes. As Grêmio have given up on the league, he'll now be wrapped in cotton wool to try and get him fit for the semi-final.

Comment

Santos did not look good in that tie. And the one goal they scored in Ecuador was offside and should not have counted. I was surprised by their approach because Barcelona has not looked like a dangerous side since early in the group stage.

I would expect a Gremio-River final. I have been saying that for a bit (can't remember if I posted that above), although the Wilstermann win in Bolivia had me wondering if what should happen in terms of talent would happen. I can't see Lanus beating River, although the Libertadores can certainly provide some upsets. Really, Lanus looked very good for 20 minutes in leg 2 but beyond that didn't show enough relative to River's talents. Granted, Wilstermann should not have been where they were in terms of being so close to the 1/2 final, but they were also way better than 8-0. This is a side that made it through the group stage and the knock-out stage giving up very few goals.

Barcelona might surprise but if Gremio can return to group form they should advance without problems. But I am looking forward to this (esp. if both sides turn up to play free-flowing attacking football).

I hadn't finished watching the Gremio-Botafogo match when I posted but I did see Luan come on. Thanks for the update, cantagalo.

Comment

River are definite favourites for their semi-final, but a tie between two Argentine clubs is always very hard to call, and there's not been much between them domestically of late. It's still a month away though, so injuries could well play a part as well.

Comment

...And then there were two.

River dominated the first leg of the all-Argentine semi-final against an uncharacteristically defensive Lanús, who only had one shot all game. But River could only got one goal, late on through Nacho Scocco. Still, Lanús' decision not to go for the away goal at all looked risky, and even more so when River started the second leg superbly and were 2-0 up on the night after half an hour or so. Then José Sand - once the all-time top scorer in River's youth divisions, but let go by the club after managing just 20 goals in 80 matches from centre forward in the first team - pulled one back seconds before half time with Lanús' first shot on target of the tie. Then 43 seconds into the second half, he did it again. 2-2 on the night and the momentum was with Lanús. River steadied but were slow to react, and Lanús ended up winning 4-2 for a 4-3 aggregate win to reach their first Libertadores final. That second leg was crazy - as well as the goals, River were denied a strong shout for a penalty, with the referee refusing to even look at the VAR (brought into the competition at this stage because CONMEBOL), when he then used VAR in the second half to award Lanús a penalty. I suspect that VAR would have found that River's wasn't a penalty anyway, but the way things worked out didn't help the perception of the decision to bring it in for the semis. Still, the kind of match the Libertadores was built on. Glorious madness all round. Lanús had five shots on target all tie - the fifth was the only Germán Lux managed to save.

The other semi was more straightforward. Grêmio handed out a lesson to Barcelona in Guayaquil last week, 3-0 winners with two goals from Luan, and it could have been more. Tonight in the second leg back at home, they didn't seem as bothered, and lost 1-0. The first hour was really good fun, but after that it petered out as it became clear Barcelona weren't going to get a goal to set up an interesting finish (although they did hit the woodwork with ten minutes or so left).

So Grêmio v Lanús, 3rd v 2nd seeds, in the final then. First leg in Porto Alegre, second in Lanús. There have been twelve previous Argentina-Brazil finals, and Argentine clubs lead 8-4 for victories so far. How will this one go, Clive? If I knew that I wouldn't bother watching it.

Comment

First leg starts in 15 minutes. Anyone watching?

Comment

Lanús the better team in the first half.

Comment

Substitutes Jael and Cícero combine to give Grêmio the lead. 10 to go.

Ref has to stop the game to wait for the smoke to clear.

Comment

That was, frankly, not a very good game. Grêmio appear to have totally forgotten how to do things since that brilliant semi-final first leg. Sets things up nicely for the second leg, though.

Comment

I'd agree about the overall quality. I was hoping for Gremio from the 1st leg of the 1/2 final and Lanus from the 2nd leg of the 1/2 final and we'd have a match. There was a lot of drama at the end. Both teams seemed to be pissed at the ref. It did look like Gremio deserved a penalty on one of the last plays of the game. And I missed the call that resulted in the yellow against the Lanus player. They seemed desperate for the referee to look at VAR to see that the yellow wasn't deserved. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I assume we're in for a rather dull 2nd leg that ends in a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                            I assume we're in for a rather dull 2nd leg that ends in a fight.
                            I think that’s about right!

I was disappointed with Grêmio’s performance. I think they are the best team in Brazil this season (I’m aware that’s a fairly low bar) and could have beaten Corinthians to the title if they hadn’t been prioritising the Libertadores. Apart from the penalty shouts, their best chances came from overplaying by the Lanús keeper Andrada and once again Marcelo Grohe made a couple of spectacular saves. (Check out his save of the tournament against Barcelona in the semi).

As for the penalties, I thought they were both decent claims, though it took me a couple of replays to clearly see the shove on Jael for the second one. You can also see the ref put the whistle to his lips. The Grêmio players were angry that he blew for the end of the game so the VAR couldn’t be consulted.

Argentinian centre back Kanneman is suspended for the second leg. This is a big blow as his partnership with Geromel has been fundamental for Grêmio this season.

Comment

Here we go! Second leg has started.

Comment

And our first yellow. For a waist-high tackle on Ramiro by Garcia.

Comment

Fantastic goal. Fernandinho runs half the length of the pitch and smashes it in!

Comment

Luan with another golaço!

Comment

Grêmio playing really well here. Much better than the first leg.

Barrios misses a decent chance.

Comment

I reckon that goal has sealed Luan’s place in the World Cup squad. Not to mention a big money move to Europe.

Comment

But their best player has been Arthur. Superb performance by him but he’s just limped off at half-time with a twisted ankle.

Comment

That’s a pity. Arthur has had to go off. Substituted by Michel.

Comment

Penalty to Lanús after a push by Jailson. Scored by Sand.

Comment

Grêmio now playing a sort of 4-6-0 with Cícero on for Lucas Bárrio.

Ramiro red-carded! This could get nervy.

Comment

Aaaaargh. Luan misses the chance to make it safe.

Comment

Game over. Well-deserved win for Grêmio.

Renato Gaúcho is the first Brazilian to win the Libertadores as both a player and a manager.
                                                    Last edited by cantagalo; 30-11-2017, 01:49.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X