Martin O'Neill's Enlightened Views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh from proclaiming that only the "good looking" wives and girlfriends of Ireland's players would be welcome at Euro 2016, Wee Martin has gone and discharged a round into his other foot by joking that in addition to himself and Roy Keane he took two additional members of staff (including former Leicester and Celtic winger Steve Guppy) to the USA to watch the Superbowl as he didn't want people to think he and Keane "were queers."

He's apologised for the latter remark, though it sounded somewhat forced, but this is really grim stuff. I doubt that Martin O'Neill harbours deeply sexist or homophobic views. But these things don't need to be deeply held for them to do damage and it's a sad reminder of the footballing culture in which he grew up where remarks like those wouldn't have simply been tolerated - they'd have been encouraged. O'Neill's always come across as an intelligent guy, certainly in comparison to most of the players and managers he played the game with, so it's sad that he's come out with this shit regardless of how humorously he meant it.

The strange thing is that - here in Ireland at least - there aren't any public calls for him to be punished or sacked. I remember Glenn Hoddle being forcibly ejected from the England job (Tony Blair even got involved) for the remarks he made about the disabled. But is that because he'd just overseen another English exit from a World Cup and had started the qualification campaign for Euro 2000 poorly with the result that the FA were just looking for an excuse to get rid of him or was it because most English fans were disgusted at what he said?

I think that Hoddle's comments lost him his job not because they were offensive (though they were) but because they were crazy. And his results weren't good enough to justify keeping a crazy guy in post.

Comment

I mentioned his latest episode on the Twatball thread.

It's getting to be like you're slowly realising that your favourite uncle, whom you'd admired for being daring, witty, erudite, urbane and great fun at boring family get-togethers, is actually turning out to be a tedious gobshite with some objectionable old fart views. You'd been too busy laughing at his irreverence to notice, but now you're a bit older, well...

Comment

His alleged apology was a total joke as well. "If anyone was offended by what I said . . ." etc.

It's a fairly safe bet that O'Neill has managed at least one gay player in his time and known about it. Probably more.

The strange thing is that - here in Ireland at least - there aren't any public calls for him to be punished or sacked
        No one wants to know, because the team's doing well and a big tournament is only a few days away. Who knows, if you hauled O'Neill over the coals we might lose three out of three again.

It was the same with Barack Obama when he sneered at the Special Olympics on a chat show just after he became US president. He got away with it because nobody was in the mood to spoil the celebratory vibe.

Comment

Special Olympics? Is that a quote?

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/5020442/Barack-Obama-makes-special-Olympics-gaffe-on-Jay-Lenos-The-Tonight-Show.html

Comment

Yeah, I would echo that it is depressing that this sort of thing exists in football. What makes it extra depressing, as has been said above, is that O'Neill is one of the more intelligent people in football. edit: But he did grow up in a catholic household in in the 1950s and 60s. I sometimes wonder if there's any hope for people like that.

On a positive note, here's Louis van Gaal taking part in Amsterdam Pride:

Comment

Good on you,Louis.

I wouldn't imagine Marty to be a full-on homophobe.
                I think his problem is that he reckons he's a pure sketch and he doesn't really give a fuck.
                That apology.
                Wow.

Comment

Also, I don't see how bringing Steve Guppy along is supposed to make him less gay. Maybe they are having a threesome.

I think we can only conclude that MON is externalising his inner monologue and that he clearly has a massive man crush Roy Keane. But who can blame him.

Comment

The only problem with that is, if he were to succeed, that I'd have to hear the Dutch press going on about how LvG taught the Irish to play football.

Comment

I like the idea of Van Gaalaprop as the Southern Supremo. Maybe Chris Baird could replace Roy as assistant. Just heard him do an interview in what sounded like Ulster-Scots, could barely understand a word.

Comment

O'Neill participated in a tour of South Africa back in the apartheid days didn't he?

Intelligent he might be, doesn't have any real principles though.

Comment

"Beyond the Pale" huh Dunc.

Comment

Morning Mynheer. Well you wouldn't expect such caveman attitudes in cosmopolitan Dublin would you?

Comment

Borracho wrote: His alleged apology was a total joke as well. "If anyone was offended by what I said . . ." etc.

It's a fairly safe bet that O'Neill has managed at least one gay player in his time and known about it. Probably more.

The strange thing is that - here in Ireland at least - there aren't any public calls for him to be punished or sacked
                              No one wants to know, because the team's doing well and a big tournament is only a few days away. Who knows, if you hauled O'Neill over the coals we might lose three out of three again.

It was the same with Barack Obama when he sneered at the Special Olympics on a chat show just after he became US president. He got away with it because nobody was in the mood to spoil the celebratory vibe.
                              It's an even safer bet that he played with a gay player.

Comment

Though not in that way, you understand . . .

Comment

Borracho wrote:
                                  If he managed Hitzelsperger at Villa, it's definite, isn't it?

Anyway, it wouldn't be enough to stop him. After all, Ron Atkinson made his comments about Desailly, despite having managed Batson, Regis, Cunningham etc.

Comment

Never realised Martin had this kind of thing in him to be honest. Sad.

Comment

RobM wrote: O'Neill participated in a tour of South Africa back in the apartheid days didn't he?

Intelligent he might be, doesn't have any real principles though.
                                      If that tour was in the 1970s, then things aren't quite as clear-cut as they would be if it took place in the 1980s.

Comment

I'm surprised to learn that about O'Neill

What was the difference, G?

Comment

I thought S. Africa had sporting pariah status since the late '60's and if the ANC advised against it you just didn't go?

Comment

The idea of sporting boycotts only really developed around cricket and rugby tours in the 70s, didn't it? Peter Hain was prominent in that. General public sympathy for the movement was sparked by the Basil d'Olivera affair, which showed that sport and politics were actually heavily intertwined rather than separate.

Comment

He must have played alongside Fashanu presumably, which would probably make him the only person to have played alongside and also managed a gay footballer.

Which doesn't make his comments any more idiotic I suppose.

Comment

It doesn't make them any less idiotic either.

Comment

Tapiocahead wrote: which would probably make him the only person to have played alongside and also managed a gay footballer.
                                                  There are probably thousands in Britain alone.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X