Can anyone remember, in 1987

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... when Coventry City won the FA Cup: was much made in the media about the consequence for the Monty Python communist quiz show sketch?

From what little memory I have of it, it certainly was mentioned. How widely, I don't know.

Comment

As a long-time fan of both Monty Python and Spurs, I just deny that it ever happened.

Comment

Possible Mastermind subject: FA Cup references by Pythons.

Prepared answers could be the episode of Ripping Yarns where the sherpas (or whatever they're called in the Andes) won't help Michael Palin because they're listening to the Cup Final (Cardiff?). And Eric Idle's Rutland Weekend Television featured Leicester players in the witness box:

"Are you Leicester City Football Club?"
        "We are"
        "Have you ever won the FA Cup?" etc.

Comment

I don't remember it being mentioned but do remember thinking about it. More, though, I remember the sketch when it first went out. Monty Python was my favourite TV programme of the time but I couldn't work out why the answer that Coventry City had never won the Cup got such a laugh, because I thought then that everyone knew that Coventry had never won the FA Cup.

Comment

Well, everyone apart from Lenin, Marx and Trotsky, as demonstrated.

Comment

I've no idea what this thread is about.

Best,

EIM

Comment

It serves as a reaffirmation of the relative esteem the FA Cup was held in 1971 or so when that sketch was written that it was about the FA Cup. Pointing out that a relatively well-known side had never won the league wouldn't have raised a titter because I don't think in those days as many people really did care who had.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Well, everyone apart from Lenin, Marx and Trotsky, as demonstrated.
                  The question was actually for Che Guevara but none of four panellist knew the "answer".

Leicester did get a brief mention when Karl Marx failed to answer correctly the Cup Final Winners of 1949 and lost the chance to win a beautiful lounge suite.

Comment

Peter Shilton, I think, contributed to the collection of eulogies to the River Yangtze.

(I'm assuming that Bill Glazier didn't.)

Comment

Who do/did the respective Monty Python members follow?

Comment

ingoldale wrote: Who do/did the respective Monty Python members follow?
                        Palin is a Sheffield United fan, I don't know about the others. From what I read on Wikipedia, whilst at boarding school, Eric Idle would watch Wolves.

WSC interview with Palin about football here

Ah, he says Cleese is a West Ham fan.

Comment

The "What was happening this month" link's fascinating. Leicester City and their players feature large...

Comment

A postman I knew down the pub once told me he delivered Michael Palin's copy of the WSC magazine.

Comment

EIM wrote: I've no idea what this thread is about.

Best,

EIM
                              It's on those DVDs I copied for you, you ungrateful get.

Comment

I watched an interview in which Palin declared his support for both Sheffield clubs. He may have mentioned favouring United, I can't remember (doh).

Comment

He went to the League Cup Final to support Wednesday (according to his diaries).

Comment

I can't be sure of the date (or even year) but my immediate response to the thread title was someone falling through a roof on to the terrace at Scarborough. Did anyone ever verify if he was seriously hurt (or who indeed he was?)

Second memory: fans in distress at Hearts (perhaps that was 1986?), which I will keep fearing for Leicester until the title is certain.

Comment

[quote]RobW wrote:
                                      Originally posted by ingoldale
                                      Who do/did the respective Monty Python members follow?

Ah, he says Cleese is a West Ham fan.
                                      Conspicuous celebrity fan for a while. Kinda pissed me off TBH. He'd lived in Holland Park since the late 60s. Certainly saw him on the street a fair bit when I lived in Notting Hill. Given that, he ought to have been an R. There was really no other choice.

Comment

Giggler wrote:
                                        Originally posted by EIM
                                        I've no idea what this thread is about.

Best,

EIM
                                        It's on those DVDs I copied for you, you ungrateful get.
                                        Mate, that was two years ago and I got blind drunk watching them.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote:

Second memory: fans in distress at Hearts (perhaps that was 1986?)
                                          That was Dens Park at the end of the 1985/86 season where two late goals from Albert Kidd finished off Hearts, who only needed a point, or a defeat and a narrow Celtic win, to win the league. Hearts then went to Hampden Park the following week and lost the Cup Final 3-0 to Aberdeen.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: I can't be sure of the date (or even year) but my immediate response to the thread title was someone falling through a roof on to the terrace at Scarborough. Did anyone ever verify if he was seriously hurt (or who indeed he was?)
                                            He was a Wolves fan and it was Scarborough's first game in the league. Their fans rampaged through the town which meant that Wolves' first game of the next season was played at 11.30am.

It was at Bury, it was my first game and Jamie Hoyland scored the first league goal of the season as Bury strolled to a 3-1 win. There was to be no looking back for one impressionable seven-year-old.

Comment

Just finished reading Palin's 'Travelling to Work' diaries and I am fairly sure he says Idle is a Spurs fan.

Comment

If you really want to know the worst day of 1987...

Comment

RobW wrote: Ah, he says Cleese is a West Ham fan.
                                                  Cleese was a childhood Bristol City supporter. Unlike his Weston-super-Mare contemporary Jeffrey Archer, who was (and probably still is) a Gashead.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X