Barking Mad? Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just about to leave to see Barking v FC Romania. Third in the Essex Senior League entertaining the leaders who have won both their last two games by eight goals to two.

I've lived in and/or worked in London for thirty-five years and I don't think I've been to Barking or anywhere near it.

I'm not having much luck at present.

Originally planned to go to Maltby for Worsbrough Bridge Athletic v Shirebrook Town. That got rescheduled after the groundshare ended as Worsbrough have inconsiderately repaired their floodlights and are able to return home.

Then planned for Shaw Lane Aquaforce v Newcastle Town in the Northern Premier League Division One South. That got postponed this morning because of an unfit pitch. Shaw Lane are busy blaming Barnsley rugby for playing on the shared pitch again. Bless.

Comment

You'd think if any club could cope with a damp pitch, it would be the one called Aquaforce.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: I'm just about to leave to see Barking v FC Romania. Third in the Essex Senior League entertaining the leaders who have won both their last two games by eight goals to two.

I've lived in and/or worked in London for thirty-five years and I don't think I've been to Barking or anywhere near it.

Barking used to play in a large old non-league ground next to Barking station, where Vicarage Fields shopping centre now is. They used to be a big old club but are now in at least their third reincarnation. And no, I've never been their either despite having been to most non-league grounds in Essex and East London.

Comment

I went to Burscough 2-0 Kendal Town tonight. Decent enough game although affected by the wind. One Kendal fan had decided the correct attire for a February evening in West Lancashire was shorts.

Comment

Barking 1 FC Romania 3

A great game with the visitors in particular playing some lovely football. They're like the old "crack East European outfit" from 'Roy of the Rovers' and show how, even at this level, British players' technique lags behind those from mainland Europe.

They went 0-2 up within half an hour pulling Barking all over the place but then gave away a dim penalty which their keeper saved well.

Midway through the second half the cumulative mass of heavy challenges the home players put in resulted in a second yellow for one of the their midfield. The ten men then went on to dominate the rest of the game but let in a third after a sweeping counter-attack through a lovely dinked finish. Barking picked up a consolation late on but were well beaten.

Mayesbrook Park is a typical, functional ninth tier ground but with a warm welcome. They have a portacabin bar and another for the boardroom, both seem to double up as a training school for aspiring cabbies to learn The Knowledge in the daytime.

I've seen FC Romania at least once in each of the last three seasons and they always seem to be an excellent side so sure they must go up soon (they're top of the ESL right now) though I know they have a large turnover of players - some returning to Romania and some being picked up by other larger clubs.

Comment

Oxford United 0-1 Millwall (Agg 2-1).

A very tense 90 minutes.

Never seen so many Riot Police & Police Dogs at the Kastad as were there this evening.

Comment

Comment

Merlin the happy pig wrote: Never seen so many Riot Police & Police Dogs at the Kastad as were there this evening.
                  I was in Oxford at the weekend. Travelling between Headington Hill and Headington evoked memories of one night in my student days when Millwall fans left a trail of battered humanity in their wake en route to the Manor ahead of a League Cup game. Horrible. They lost that night, which pleased me no end. And still does.

Comment

Working...
                  X