Badge-y Comic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badge-y Comic

Wednesday are to go back to an old crest which was designed in 1956. I sort of like the idea, but I'm not at all sure I like the crest. I've become used to the stylised owl that we've had since the 70s. This one (the owl, anyway) looks like the illustration from a children's book, and I think the font of the SW is rubbish. Plus I'm not keen on the up-fronting of the Latin bit. I guess I'll get used to it.

Badge-y Comic

The club announced without warning on Twitter yesterday afternoon that we were to get a new crest and to see the website for details. There was an interval of several minutes before the crest appeared which led to a lot of "oh God, what's it going to look like" before general relief at what we unveiled.

Chansiri has unwittingly dug a hole for himself here though, if / when things go wrong the old badge will become a symbol for fans to rally behind.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

Is that the actual badge, or a version you've just sketched?

Comment

Badge-y Comic

It's a bit too William Morris, arts and crafts-y, isn't it?

That said, given prevailing facial hair trends among players, it might be a logical next step.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

So, what's the thinking here then? Was the old one too easy for bootleggers to knock off?

Comment

Badge-y Comic

I suspect there's an element of that. Ostensibly it's a nod to our heritage to tie in with the club's 150th anniversary next year.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

I quite like it - it's not amazing, but it's a proper badge - rather than a corporate logo.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

The yellow eyes make me think of...

Edit: Sorry, I see you've already pointed that out. As you were.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

It's a bit Hamlyn Big Book Of Heraldry. I quite like the stylised owl too; it's the most interesting thing about Sheffield Wednesday.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

Comment

Badge-y Comic

It's not exactly the same as the original 1956 badge, is it? The club's website says it's a "powerful representation" of it and talks about a new design process.

I presume that's because there is a problem with using old club badges as they have been in the public domain too long to copyright.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

Very close

The eyes of the owl are the most telling difference.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

I think actually, digging around, this is the original (the things either side of the owl are sheaves of wheat (to represent Sheffield)

Comment

Badge-y Comic

That's much better, not least because the head isn't emerging out of a weird shoulder bum.

Comment

Badge-y Comic

They used the sheaves of wheat badge in at least one Cup Final in the 60s (when it was common for clubs to have special badges for such occasions).

Comment

Badge-y Comic

Yes, Cardiff had the city's crest on their shirts for the 1927 Cup Final (and the 1925 one too, I think) but apart from one being used in 59/60 they didn't adopt a badge regularly until 1965.

It must be hard to assess exactly what 1956 design Wednesday are talking about given it wasn't ever actually used on shirts. What did it appear on, if anything?

Comment

Badge-y Comic

These, for one

It also featured on programmes:

and a wheat sheaves example from 1968:

Comment

Badge-y Comic

Quite a difference from the design on the OP then, though that might be only reproduction issues.

Where is the design in your 15:22 post from?

Comment

Badge-y Comic

Football Badge Guide

Comment

Working...
                                      X