"Oh, it's the pools, 3:3 - 3 points!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife thought I was mad as we watched Only Connect earlier and I got a connection sequence thingummy.

It was how many points you got for results on the pools.

It's the only time I can remember getting an Only Connect clue that both lots of brainiacs have been stumped by.

Those colons were misleading, though. I've only ever seen scores presented like that in Kicker.

Comment

True. Although if they had present them as
      1 - 0 = 1
      0 - 1 = 1 1/2
      0 - 0 = 2
      it would have looked like subtraction symbols.

Comment

I got this as well, pretty much the only time I get questions that stump the contestants are when they're sport. Another I remember was (in the guess the fourth round) Bayern Munich - AZ Alkmaar with the next answers being the Netherlands and Man United, teams managed by Louis van Gaal.

Comment

It wasn't an '=' though it was 'was' so I don't think it would have looked too bad. As for the ':' mind:

Though 0:0 was probably '3' when this was taken.

Comment

Heh, Leyton Orient in the top division. That narrows it down a bit...

Comment

Those colons completely threw me when I was watching, too. I've never known that format used for football scores, and thought it a bit of a cheat on the part of the question-setter. 1-1 or 1-0 etc (no spaces) would have been standard and still avoid confusing with subtraction if you knew what you were looking at.
              I still wouldn't have got the answer, mind.

Comment

I think I'd have read that as being a sum and just got instantly confused - 50/50 whether I'd have picked up on the nuance of no spaces.

Comment

Whereas I read the colon version and just saw it as being a ratio, so was 100% confused! So I'd like to think I'd have at least stood a chance with the dashes.

Comment

I've seen colons used. Not sure where.

I just got it by the 1, 1 1/2, 2 sequence.

Comment

I've seen colons used, particularly on the continent. Anyway the whole point of Only Connect is it not necessarily presented in the format you'd most expect.

they had Italian football teams in the missing vowels round last week, and (incorrectly) accepted INTERNACIONAL for INTERNAZIONALE (I'm approximating the 'French' sounding spelling of the incorrect guess)

Comment

Will you be writing to Points of View to complain?

Comment

Working...
                        X