Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meanwhile, on an island away from the tumult…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leeds United ban Sky cameras from tonight's televised match.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35191715

Some Yorkshire press are suggesting that Leeds have asked to see the details of the contract between the FL and Sky, whereas the FL have said that Leeds will face a disciplinary committee should the ban be enforced.

Comment

The-Reverend wrote: Some Yorkshire press are suggesting that Leeds have asked to see the details of the contract between the FL and Sky, whereas the FL have said that Leeds will face a disciplinary committee should the ban be enforced.
      Let's face it.

This plan worked a dream in the 1970s when Bob Lord enforced it at Turf Moor.

It's been unalloyed success ever since for Burnley/

Comment

A terrifying prospect, we all remember what has happened to QPR after their blatant disregard for protocol.

Comment

The-Reverend wrote:

A terrifying prospect, we all remember what has happened to QPR after their blatant disregard for protocol.
          Do we?

Comment

QPR are on Sky more often than Liverpool now, so I'm not sure I remember what that means.

Comment

I think he means the FFP flouting.

Are we actually with Leeds on this one? I don't know anymore.

Comment

Ooooh, bloody hell, Leeds, Sky, Leeds, Sky. It's the real horns of a dilemma, isn't it?

Actually, it's not that hard. At the end of the day, Leeds are still a football club and Sky are cunts.

Comment

Wasn't the original TV deal(s) based on refunding the income from 10% of the average attendance that season?

Comment

Knighton tried this at Carlisle once - can't recall what his beef with Sky was about, but he let them in to film the game only, and wouldn't let them do pre-match interviews on the premises or film anything else inside the ground for their intros/build up.

Comment

Errorist Sympathiser wrote: I think he means the FFP flouting.

Are we actually with Leeds on this one? I don't know anymore.
                      Ah. Gotcha! (Cheers.)

Comment

Mixed feelings about this. Of course I support Leeds, not just because I'm a supporter of that magnificent glorious club, but because this is a fair protest. And fuck scummy Sky to hell and back, the grubby rapacious tacky sleazebags.

But on the other hand, if the upshot of this is that Leeds suffers some severe penalties and Sky get some chunky financial damages payment under their contract with the FL for any revenue loss from this action, then it will turn out to have been a very foolish act by Cellino.

Never paid a penny to Sky, never will.

Comment

Maybe more Derby fans won't mind the £42 a ticket now, cash only, on the gate.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Mixed feelings about this. Of course I support Leeds, not just because I'm a supporter of that magnificent glorious club, but because this is a fair protest. And fuck scummy Sky to hell and back, the grubby rapacious tacky sleazebags.

But on the other hand, if the upshot of this is that Leeds suffers some severe penalties and Sky get some chunky financial damages payment under their contract with the FL for any revenue loss from this action, then it will turn out to have been a very foolish act by Cellino.

Never paid a penny to Sky, never will.
                            But it isn't a fair protest is it?

United charge upwards of two score for some of their matches, and it's about boosting the coffers of one Cellino, M. rather than anything else.

See also his demands that clubs negotiate their own deals with the broadcasters for television rights, and that should lead you to the real agenda here.

Comment

'Sky are cunts' is such a deeply lazy comment.

Comment

How do we feel about 'Leeds are cunts' dalliance?

Comment

Storm in a tea cup now, he's letting them in.

A victory for, well I don't know, but it's got to be for someone.

Comment

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article/tmkq6kplrq2613jrdaw1vsf4e

Comment

EIM wrote: How do we feel about 'Leeds are cunts' dalliance?
                                      That's kind of lazy too unless you specify which aspect of Leeds you mean.

Comment

dalliance wrote: 'Sky are cunts' is such a deeply lazy comment.
                                        That doesn't make it an incorrect theoretical position.

Comment

Well, only if you view everything in life through the prism of absolutes.

Comment

In the couple of years before 1992 people were content to watch Elton Welsby calmly introduce and listen to Brian Moore calmly describe one First Division match a week for the cost of TV Licence.

Nowadays you have to spend about £45 a month (as well as buying a TV Licence) to watch a presenter sell us hype, a commentator shout at us and two experts debate whether a teenaged millionaire was "entitled to go down there".

I take your point however no other broadcaster could have thought of the brilliant innovations like "IT'S FOOTBALL, BUT ON A MONDAY NIGHT! WITH EXTRA CAMERAS, DANCING GIRLS AND A POP GROUP MIMING ON A PLATFORM IN THE CENTRE CIRCLE."

I mean it took the BBC 45 years to start showing TV programmes in colour.

Comment

Kowalski wrote: In the couple of years before 1992 people were content to watch Elton Welsby calmly introduce and listen to Brian Moore calmly describe one First Division match a week for the cost of TV Licence.

Nowadays you have to spend about £45 a month (as well as buying a TV Licence) to watch a presenter sell us hype, a commentator shout at us and two experts debate whether a teenaged millionaire was "entitled to go down there".

I take your point however no other broadcaster could have thought of the brilliant innovations like "IT'S FOOTBALL, BUT ON A MONDAY NIGHT! WITH EXTRA CAMERAS, DANCING GIRLS AND A POP GROUP MIMING ON A PLATFORM IN THE CENTRE CIRCLE."

I mean it took the BBC 45 years to start showing TV programmes in colour.
                                              Ahhh the old days of coverage, gives me an excuse to post this wondrous goalkeeping display captured at the Derby v Oxford game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCtR6YyLIA

Comment

dalliance wrote

EIM wrote:
                                                How do we feel about 'Leeds are cunts' dalliance?

That's kind of lazy too unless you specify which aspect of Leeds you mean.
                                                Leeds is a shithole. Its entire city layout now serves neither traffic nor pedestrian, as the former is forced into an insanely busy dual carriageway inner town road system that completely spoils pedestrian life for the latter. Walking through Leeds is like trying to cross the road during the Monaco Grand Prix. It could have been designed by Satan himself.

It was hilarious when their team of part-timers and Scottish pub players stopped Man United winning the league in 1992, though.

Comment

It's hilarious that Leeds have won the league more recently than Liverpool, despite not being in it for the last decade.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X