No announcement yet.

Welsh Football (domestic) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not entirely sure what's going to happen but a south west / south east / middle & lower north / northern coast divisional set up would be helpful. Might be a bugger sorting relegations though.

Comment

Just need to post the form and I'll be an official member at Barry Town.

Had to write a cheque!

Comment

First weekend of proper action last weekend. 4 teams won and all have a GD of +1, 4 teams drew, and 4 teams lost an have a GD of -1.

All very even so far.

Barry managed to exit 2 cups before the league season started as the MG Cup kicked off before the league season.

Comment

Why don't Penybont FC use the hyphens as per the actual Welsh name for Bridgend, Pen-y-Bont? Have they ever done so and, if so, when did they change?
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-08-2019, 11:59.

Comment

That's a good question. I think it's been a recent change. I thought they had the hyphens when Barry played them last year in the Welsh Cup.

Comment

It is a bit strange.

Wikipedia still has them with the dashes, but their official site appears to have banished them.

And while older versions of the badge use Pen Y Bont with spaces, the current version has run the three words together.

Comment

It might just be because so much of the publicity for the clubs now is online and hyphens are a pain in the proverbial on Twitter etc. Also Welsh is transmuting into a modern ancient language. It even has a J now.

Comment

That sounds quite plausible.

Though they could use spaces as in the previous version of the badge.

Comment

They seem to waver between using CPD and FC as well, though I think that's pretty common.

Comment

Inadvertently started a new thread with this, couldn't find anything in Search but that may be down to post-stroke daftness on my part. Better here, so I've copied it over -

Down at my sister-in-laws today and when my 3 year old great-nephew got a bit tired of filling me in and watching Swashbuckle and buggered off to wreak havoc somewhere new I flicked the TV over. Sgorio, the Welsh channel 4 show was on. Certain I've seen posts on here lauding the show to some degree in the past, definitely deserving praise, far better approach to putting a show together than Scotland manages with Sportscene.

What impressed me more than anything though was that the games seemed to be pedal to the metal mayhem. Not for a minute am I meaning to be patronising (given Connah's Quay booted out our 3rd best side from last year in the Europa League that would be a bit daft) but that was as watchable a half hour or so I've seen of football in a long time, the first time in donkeys I've enjoyed watching televised football.

Be making a point of seeking it out from now on in, we're actually away to Prestatyn next month, meeting a friend on the Saturday at Cammel Laird but I'll be trying to seek out a game nearby at some point that week.

Comment

Suppose I shouldn't be too surprised with a surname like Morgan mind you.

Comment

RobM I did reply to your thread. Welcome to the wonderfulness of the Cymru Premier and assorted other leagues - lovely to have you on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            They seem to waver between using CPD and FC as well, though I think that's pretty common.
                            It's an opportunity to rebrand everything every couple of years and sell all the scarves and badges and tat all over again. See also the League of Wales ---> Welsh Premier League ---> Cymru Premier ----> whatever is next.

Technically every club should be CPD CLUB NAME FC anyway

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post
                              Inadvertently started a new thread with this, couldn't find anything in Search but that may be down to post-stroke daftness on my part. Better here, so I've copied it over -

Down at my sister-in-laws today and when my 3 year old great-nephew got a bit tired of filling me in and watching Swashbuckle and buggered off to wreak havoc somewhere new I flicked the TV over. Sgorio, the Welsh channel 4 show was on. Certain I've seen posts on here lauding the show to some degree in the past, definitely deserving praise, far better approach to putting a show together than Scotland manages with Sportscene.

What impressed me more than anything though was that the games seemed to be pedal to the metal mayhem. Not for a minute am I meaning to be patronising (given Connah's Quay booted out our 3rd best side from last year in the Europa League that would be a bit daft) but that was as watchable a half hour or so I've seen of football in a long time, the first time in donkeys I've enjoyed watching televised football.

Be making a point of seeking it out from now on in, we're actually away to Prestatyn next month, meeting a friend on the Saturday at Cammel Laird but I'll be trying to seek out a game nearby at some point that week.
                              I hope you are on mend Rob. Enjoy Sgorio, I have fond memories of it.

Comment

There was a particularly pointed chant at Penybont v Barry last Friday, calling Cardiff City "national traitors"

On another note, Mike Harris, owner of The New Saints FC has threatened to quit the Welsh system and focus on Oswestry Town because he feels he is the victim of anti-English racism. I haven't seen much sympathy for him on Twitter about this. He does very well out of TNS being perennial Champions League qualifiers, and, of course, he is the guy who moved them to England taking over Oswestry Town's place in the Welsh system. Oswestry's new English-system incarnation is also his club but is not really the successor to the original Oswestry who were founder members of the FAW back in the 19th century. (In fact the Oswestry club that Harris absorbed into his TNS chimera wasn't that original Oswestry either but they had more claim to being a successor club than the version Harris set up that now plays in the English system.)

I haven't really made up my mind about this On the one hand, TNS are the cash cow for Harris and I can't see him walking away from it. It might just be toys out of the pram stuff from him. But equally, the cross-border positioning of Oswestry shouldn't be the focus of anti-TNS chants. (Harris was also named in a song criticising his alleged homophobia at the Penybont game, some of which may have been caught on S4C) There are plenty of reasons to hate TNS - they are a doped club, initially by the owner and then by the Champions League money. They are a franchise of sorts, moved by the owner from the Welsh village they started in to Oswestry. And of course they win a lot of stuff so slagging them off is always going to be punching up, a bit like slagging off Manchester City (or Manchester United back in the day).

So, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  RobM I did reply to your thread. Welcome to the wonderfulness of the Cymru Premier and assorted other leagues - lovely to have you on board.
                                  Aye, that's what tippled me PT, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I hope you are on mend Rob. Enjoy Sgorio, I have fond memories of it.
                                    I am, thanks Antepli. Long haul but I would've taken the progrees thus far in a minute if you'd offered me it the morning following the stroke.

Comment

Just so you know, as you're new to it, if anyone asks your favourite club is Barry Town and you hate TNS and the Connahs Quay battle giants and Cardiff Met and Bala.

Comment

In fact here's a handy guide:

Barry Town = Barrycelona, best club in Wales
                                        TNS = no fans, buy the league
                                        Connahs Quay = evil battle giants and heralds of the end times, except when they play TNS, then it's "Come on the Quay!!"
                                        Bala = mysteriously bankrolled cloggers, except when they play TNS, then it's "Come on the Tegid!"
                                        Caernarfon = great fans but they're all misguided Gogs, except when they play TNS, then it's "Come on the Cofis!"
                                        Cardiff Met = wasters of student loans, except when... well you get the idea
                                        Cefn Druids = cloggers par excellence
                                        Aberystwyth, Newtown = midrange fodder
                                        Carmarthen = "the old gold" / laughing stock
                                        Penybont = plucky newcomers
                                        Airbus = what the actual fuck?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Technically every club should be CPD CLUB NAME FC anyway
                                          Really, why?

Comment

Well maybe you wouldn't have to have FC on there but it would be good form to have CPD / name / FC from a bilingual point of view.

Comment

I think a club should pick CPD or FC and stick with it, using both is basically repeating yourself. If you're going to be strictly bilingual then you should have the Welsh & English place names as well as suffix/prefix, which would be too unwieldy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                I think a club should pick CPD or FC and stick with it, using both is basically repeating yourself. If you're going to be strictly bilingual then you should have the Welsh & English place names as well as suffix/prefix, which would be too unwieldy.
                                                I'd disagree. It's like Banc Lloyd's Bank.

Although the different place names is tricky. Sgorio translates them all anyway. YSN for TNS etc. Barri with an i.

It makes more sense to have CPD Penybont as that's the Welsh place name. But then it is more of an English speaking area.

It's a chin-scratcher.

Comment

Airbus seem to be masquerading as "Broughton" now. Still a works team though.

Comment

Bloody hell, Porthcawl Town Athletic top of the South Wales Alliance Premier Division with four wins out of four! They were only promoted last season as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X