World Cup qualification: CONCACAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheFourMarys wrote: Thanks for the update, Shorts.

It's a shame one of the more monied residents of Bermuda can't or won't help to fund a re-start of the mostly successful Bermuda Hogges experiment. True, they didn't shake up the world performance wise in the USL but playing regularly as a team in the US lower leagues must have helped squad development and seems to be just the thing the Islanders need now from what you were saying.

I can only assume that coach Balcome has grown his dreads out a lot since his playing days ended. Can't see that much hair being an on-field advantage.

Are Kyle Lightbourne and The Goat still big voices in the local football scene?

I feel like my days as most exotic contributor to this thread are done. It was fun while it lasted, but surely isolated Atlantic outcrop beats tropical Spanish Main every time
    I wouldn't say 'exotic' as such....

The Hogges were really down to one man on island, who funded virtually everything (travel and accommodation for away teams, match fees etc) with little to no support from the BFA. It was intended to act as a National B Team and blood young talent on island; in reality, for reasons many and varied, it was difficult for the Hogges (managed for a while by the Goat with Kyle Lightbourne) to put out a settled and consistent team, hence the indifferent results over a couple of seasons. Crowds were non-existent (I know, I was one of the few and even ran the line at a couple of games) and the soul benefactor lost his mojo so they folded.

Current national team coach Andrew Bascome does indeed still have his dreads; his son plays in midfield for the national side as well. As for the Goat, he coached a local side for a couple of seasons (North Village Rams) and I believe he is now back at Man City doing some youth forwards coaching. I know him reasonably well and he was always very keen to move back to the UK in some footballing capacity. Kyle divides his time between taxi driving and coaching another island side, Robin Hood FC.

Having been UK military for many years, I have a very tenuous link with Belize so I will be looking out for the fortunes of the mighty Jaguars...

Comment

Time for a bump. The third round first legs start tomorrow.

All times BST

September 4
      20:30 Saint Vincent and The Grenadines v Aruba
      21:15 Grenada v Haiti
      September 5
      00:05 Curacao v El Salvador
      00:37 Canada v Belize
      01:05 Antigua and Barbuda v Guatemala
      02:00 Jamaica v Nicaragua

Comment

TheFourMarys wrote: Canada live up to their well-earned reputation as the bullies of the World by sticking four past the (plucky, I'm assuming) Parrots of Dominica for a 6-0 agg win.

Boo, Canada. I ask you, sirs: At long last, have you left no sense of decency?
        Chance for Belize to cut them down to size, no?

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: 00:37 Canada v Belize
          Thirty-seven minutes past midnight? Why is that?

Comment

Best guess would be to allow a five minute intro plus a two minute ad break before kick off.

Comment

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-ready-for-belize-in-home-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers-match-p158374

Seems to have it as a 'normal' kick off time. My first source (livescore) must be messing with us.

Julian De Huzzah! will feature for the CanMNT. Apparently the game will be on the Canada Soccer website but don't know if that will be geo-restricted. If it is, I need to find a stream for TLN TV by the looks of it.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Julian De Huzzah!
                If we continue doing that, it's going to be really confusing for newcomers.

Comment

I went to the Barbados v Aruba second leg game in Barbados, cost the equivalent of £5 to sit in the main stand. No team sheets or programmes available. Dreadful game, the home team scoring late in the second half. Appeared to have a doppelganger for 'Big Phil' Scolari on the bench, turned out to be a much travelled Brazilian coach with a dodgy knee. The only ground I have ever been too where there was a bloke selling peanuts from a box balanced on his head.

The player who scored the winning goal, it later turned out, should have served a ban for two yellow cards and so Barbados were thrown out of the competition, Aruba now taking their place in the next round stage.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                    Originally posted by Kevchenko
                    Julian De Huzzah!
                    If we continue doing that, it's going to be really confusing for newcomers.
                    You make a good point. There's two years left in this thread yet after all (though perhaps only two more games for Guzman and co...?).

Comment

colinwasp wrote: I went to the Barbados v Aruba second leg game in Barbados, cost the equivalent of £5 to sit in the main stand. No team sheets or programmes available. Dreadful game, the home team scoring late in the second half. Appeared to have a doppelganger for 'Big Phil' Scolari on the bench, turned out to be a much travelled Brazilian coach with a dodgy knee. The only ground I have ever been too where there was a bloke selling peanuts from a box balanced on his head.

The player who scored the winning goal, it later turned out, should have served a ban for two yellow cards and so Barbados were thrown out of the competition, Aruba now taking their place in the next round stage.
                      Nice one Colin. I obviously didn't read those fixtures closely enough even to notice that one of the teams had changed!

If I can find any streams this evening I'll give a shout. St V and G's football federation has posted on Facebook their squad (#VincyHeat) as follows:

SVG Team to face Aruba
                      Lemus Christopher..
                      Winslow 'Rookie' Mc Dowall..
                      Roy 'Chicken' Richards..
                      Kevin 'Bobin' Francis..
                      Reginal 'Shrek' Richardson..
                      Danroy 'Ticks' Edwards..
                      Jolanshoy 'Boxer' Mc Dowall..
                      Dorren 'Nasty' Hamlet..
                      Vasbert 'Micky' Ledger..
                      Emeral 'Monkey' George..
                      Cornelius 'Cornie' Stewart..
                      Raymano 'Smurf' Snagg..
                      Akeem 'Drogba' Williams..
                      Azinho 'Zino' Solomon
                      Nazir 'Naz' Mc Barnette..
                      Oalex 'Bounty' Anderson..
                      Tevin Slater..
                      Gavin James..

Comment

And, of course, here's the page for the mighty Jaguars!

Comment

It looks like Channel 5 Belize will be showing the game we are all waiting for tonight, so hopefully the live stream link will work for us again.

http://edition.channel5belize.com/live-streaming

Kick off, as noted, is 0030 UK time, 1730 Belize, 1930 Canada EDT.

Comment

I do seem to have a working stream for the first game. It's not official though, so there are ads and a bein sports logo.

Comment

A few months back I was driving through Brooklyn on the way back from JFK, and heard a bunch of commercials for various island national teams playing in a tournament in Brooklyn.

Don't know exactly where I'm going with this, other than I hope we see more island teams in this area.

Comment

GOAL FOR VINCYHEAT!

Comment

Tevin 'no nickname' Slater burst clear with one touch and flicked his right foot out to slide the ball under the onrushing Aruba keeper with his second touch.

Aruba had been threatening up to then - can they hold it together or will they fall apart now?

Comment

Converted penalty in the 90th minute makes it 2-0.

Comment

I expect that's going to be too much for Aruba to turn round in the second leg.

50 minutes in to the second game of the night and this should see you right. Currently Grenada 1 - 2 Haiti.

Comment

Haiti are the second highest ranked team (after Jamaica) so will be strong favourites to progress.

Comment

1-3 now.

Comment

Sleep got the better off me in the end.

Results for the first legs:
                                            St V & G 2-0 Aruba
                                            Grenada 1-3 Haiti
                                            Curacao 0-1 El Salvador
                                            Canada 3-0 Belize
                                            Antigua and Barbuda 1-0 Guatemala
                                            Jamaica 2-3 Nicaragua

Looks like the Jags' World Cup will be coming to an end sadly. Surprise of the night of course is Jamaica losing at home. They were 3-0 down before rescuing things through Mattocks and Mariappa.

Comment

That Jamaica-Nicragua game was crazy. Great fun for a neutral.

Ok, I've been out of the loop. I know that Mexico sacked Herrera but lost track of the replacement. I heard that Bielsa leaving OM might have been tied to the Mexico job but then he noted those rumors were false. Tonight I see that the Tigres coach is in charge against T&T in the friendly. Is this a temporary thing or is he doing double duty or is he the new coach. Tigres had a great 2nd half to the season last year: winning the Clausura and getting to the Libertadores final (and doing so playing some excellent football in the knock-out stages of the Libertadores--esp against Internacional). Anyway, what's the story with the Mexico coaching situation?

Comment

Return matches all tonight / early hours.

Comment

dm, Tuca Ferreti has the Mexico job for four games (the two against T&T, the Confederations Cup playoff in Pasadena and a friendly vs Panama), but the thought is that he will be offered the job permanently if those go Mexico's way.

Then again, many people who follow Liga MX more closely than I do don't think that he will take the job if offered, as he prefers the stability of the Tigres gig.

Comment

Darren Mattocks in the 12th minute for Jamaica for 3-3 agg; el Salvador in the 8th to go up 2-0 on Curaçao on aggregate.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X