World Cup qualification: CONCACAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Kev. Channel 5 in Belize. Looked online and similarly can't find any global streams.

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Glad you can see it. It's blocked inside BLZ but hopefully outsiders can now watch the brilliance of the Jags.

Belizeare in red, DR in white.

Comment

Yeah, that link is working for me. Cor, it's the 'FIFA 95' camera angle; haven't seen that one in a while.

Comment

Thanks TFM -- love the excitable commentary.

In addition to the FIFA 95 camera angle the station appears to be using '95-era video cameras as well.

Comment

Belikin is the national Beer of Belize, by the way.

It was started by Bavarian immigrants in the 1940s and is now a monopoly operated by the Bowen family, one of Belize's main oligarchical clans that own just about everything of value. They also bottle local Coca-Cola.

It is illegal to import soft drinks or beer into Belize, such is that particular family's power and influence.

Comment

According to CONCACAF.com the DomRep has just started their first national professional soccer league. I think its still more of a baseball nation.

The camera angles are something of a luxury, fellas. For the Cayman Islands away leg there was one static camera at halfway that seemed to have a very narrow and slow turning circle.

Comment

Half an hour gone and Belize still lead 1-0

The Jaguars current coach is a white American called Ian(?) Mork. If you listen to the "informed" commentary from the stands at home games he seems to show some bias toward picking caribbean players from the eastern districts over the latino guys from the West.

Comment

Wow, an education as well as a match - cheers TFM.

The channel 5 stream appears to be programmed to throw in a minute of adverts every so often it seems, but it's a price worth paying.

Comment

A big problem in a small country of around 300,000 is that any game the Jaguars play at home is played in front of a crowd of 'supporters' who have grown up with the players and still live in the same villages as them.

Thus the abuse when it comes is very personal and you can see individual players (all of whom have on field nom-de-guerres like Blasta, Tillyman and Yellaman) wilting under sustained criticism.

This is especially true of poor performances at home like last round's dire 0-0 versus the Cayman Islands where the crowd turned against the boys from about the 20th minute.

Consequently I think the Jaguars play better away from Belize.

Comment

40 mins. Still 1-0 Belize but DomRep look to have shaken off their earlier nerves.

Evenly balanced game.

Comment

GO AWAY ROXANNA FELIPE!

We can't hear you and we don't care

Comment

Giving a good show of themselves tonight, that's for sure. Compact defensively, and a threat on the counter.

Comment

Half Time: La Republica Dominicana 0-1 Belize.

Delighted with that. Strong road performance from a surprisingly confident looking Jaguars team.

And I now have to go to the DMV! Hopefully back before the end of the game. (Or in jail, whatever).

Comment

Those flag-parading girls did not look happy at all.

Good luck with Patty and Selma.

Comment

Woo-hoo... that was sorted fast and I'm back in front of the TV by the46th minute.

Great goal-line clearance by Belize No.3 on 46 minutes.

DomRep have come out fired up.

Comment

The commentary team rule. Wearing t-shirts and jeans while sifting through piles of papers beats the hell out of suit & ties and an attractive blond.

TFM - I now have a horse in these early qualification races - stay tough JAGS!

Comment

58 mins, 1-0 Belize.

Dom Rep have had lions share of pressure since the restart but Belize still looking confident defensively and good for the odd breakaway.

Very pleasantly surprised with the whole team so far.

Comment

The commentators are great aren't they, Cal?

Can't remember names, but I'm told the fatter guy was terrorizing defences in the Belize Premier League only about 5 or so years ago.

Some players play on into their forties here.

Comment

Actually former Newcastle, WBA and Charlton striker Andy Hunt (and his wife, former 90s MTV VJ, Simone) runs a jungle resort just across the river from me.

He was telling me he played a few games for the Belmopan Bandits in the Belize Premier League when he first got here.

The pace was not a problem for him at 39, but the surfaces and the clogging/random acts of on-field violence were and he called it quits pretty quick.

Comment

re the DMV.

They just needed some further proof of long term plans. I'll take the title deeds for my family's land in tomorrow.

Pretty sure this is to stop people just buying foreign Drivers Licences and then exchanging them for a valid US licence in say, California.

At 41 years and 5 weeks of age, I will hopefully have my first Drivers Licence in my hand by lunchtime tomorrow.

Comment

70 minutes - still 1-0 Belize.

Jaguars playing mainly on the back foot but don't look in any great peril.

... and DOMREP equalise

Comment

Arses!!

Comment

70 mins - DomRep free kick from about 25 yards out, Belize leave a refugee from Studio 54 wide open on the six yard line and he heads home easily.

Disappointing and I hope it doesn't preface a collapse.

Rest of the game will be Belize under the cosh but we're still in a strong position with an away draw,

SO DON'T BLOW IT, JAGS!!!!!!!

Comment

Crap - though it was a nice equalizer.

Good luck w/ the license -- what's driving like in Belize? Do you drive on the left?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X