Curiously named stadiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curiously named stadiums

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the home of Austrian Bundesliga side SV Ried – the Keine Sorgen¹ Arena.

¹ No worries

Meanwhile the home of Dutch side FC Den Bosch is currently called the BrainWash Stadion.

Curiously named stadiums

The Dripping Pan

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Malmesbury Victoria play at The Flying Monk Ground

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Always liked Lancaster's The Giant Axe.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

The Stadium Of Light takes some beating unlike its team.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Cobham FC's Leg O'Mutton Field :

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Clapton's The Old Spotted Dog Ground :

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Hampton & Richmond's The Beveree (pronounced Beavery) :

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

A simple origin I know, but I always liked The Shay as a name. Ipad won't let me link friggin images.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Station Park- Forfar Athletic, being the furthest ground in the UK from a train station if I remember correctly.

Dutch football has stadium names from the sublime to the ridiculous to the soul crushingly corporate. Go Ahead Eagles play at De Adelaarshorst (The Eagle’s Nest), Sparta play at Het Kasteel (The Castle), Feyenoord- De Kuip (The Tub).

Jong Ajax of the Jupiler League play at De Toekomst (The Future) whilst Jong PSV play at De Herdgang- roughly, an area where cattle graze.

Almere City play at the timelessly evocative Mitsubishi Forklift stadion, FC Oss at Heesen Yachts stadion, RKC Waalwijk at Mandemakers (a kitchen company) and Telstar at TATA Steel Stadion. And let’s not forget FC Twente who play at the The Grolsch Fortress (De Grolsch Veste)

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Throstle Nest (Farsley FC's ground) is my favourite name.

Apparently West Brom used to be known as the Throstles too - from The Hawthorns, I guess, another nice name.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

The Toleafoa Joseph H.Blatter Stadium- Samoa's main football ground.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

From WBA's official historian :

'When the club was formed in 1878 it was known the The Albion. In its first 22 years the team was based at five different grounds around West Bromwich before settling at The Hawthorns in 1900. The new ground bought with it the team nickname The Throstles, the Black Country word for Thrush, commonly seen in the hawthorn bushes from which the area took its name.'

Nothing to do with the name's origin, but the now-demolished Woodman pub, which used to stand at one corner of the Hawthorns, apparently used to keep a caged throstle inside. Legend had it that if it sang before kick-off, Albion would win.

Is Greuther Furth's ground still the Trolli Arena?
                          That was a favourite of mine a couple of years back.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

What, Benfica?

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Young Boys play at the Wankdorf Stadium.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Jah Womble wrote:
                                What, Benfica?
                                Up until now I assumed Stadium of Light was a wanky apropriaton of the Estadio da Luz name, but Wikipedia, quoting Bob Murray, says it's a reference to the miners lamp, since the stadium was built on the site of a former colliery. This seems to me a bit contrived though; one would think if they wanted to pay homage to the miners, Colliery Stadum or Miners Stadium would have been more natural choices than Stadium of Light. It's almost like a bad pun.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

jameswba wrote: Is Greuther Furth's ground still the Trolli Arena?
                                  That was a favourite of mine a couple of years back.
                                  I think that sponsorship deal ran out; it's Stadion am Laubenweg on the club website.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

It looks like the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium in Austria has been renamed after Arnie revoked Graz's right to use his name. Spoilsport.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Station Park- Forfar Athletic, being the furthest ground in the UK from a train station if I remember correctly)
                                      Peterhead is the furthest.

Comment

Curiously named stadiums

Jong Tae-Se wrote: It looks like the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium in Austria has been renamed after Arnie revoked Graz's right to use his name. Spoilsport.
                                        I thought it was the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                                        X