Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we done teams of the less-good brothers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even as a City fan, I'd have to say Kevin Mabbutt I suppose.

Comment

Joël Bossis

Comment

Martin Buchan's brother George played occasionally in the same team as him at Aberdeen, and even followed him to Man United (Wikipedia says he played three times for them). Stretching my memory a bit here, but I'm sure an old AFC book I read once (or it might have been my dad) said something along the lines of "aye he was a bit pish but he was close to Martin, so Man U ended up signing him to keep his brother company".

Their father, and Martin's son Jamie, also played for the Dons, but evidently none of them got close to Martin, who was one of my old man's heroes and remains the only man to captain Scottish Cup and FA Cup winning teams.

Comment

The flip side of the Buchans is the Considines - Andrew's been far more use to the Dandies than his old man Doug ever was.

I didn't see Michael Rummenigge's name mentioned in the original run of this thread. That's a fairly major omission if so.

Comment

Haven't read back the thread to see if the McStay brothers were mentioned. Willie and Raymond were to Paul what Hugo and Raoul were to Diego.

Comment

Dave Beasant's son, Sam, was also a goalie.

Hasn't saved a penalty in an FA Cup final or injured himself with a bottle of salad cream AFAIK.

Comment

Mike Lake - more than decent enough for us when he came from Sheffield United in the promotion season of '92/'93 but I somehow doubt he was as good as Paul.

And of course Mel Pejic, a proper stalwart but outside North East Wales only really known as Mike's bruv.

Add the previously mentioned Mathias Pogba (who's not even close to being the second best of the siblings) and it's clear we've got some form in this area.

Comment

I cannot say how delighted I am to be the first in the thread to mention Jamar Beasley, who's still playing, apparently for the Ontario Fury of the Major Arena Soccer League. He was the first MLS player drafted out of high school and when he appeared for the Revolution, he was the youngest MLS player at the time.

He is of course the brother of DaMarcus, who's quietly had a pretty impressive career for an American player.

Comment

Back to sons, in the last two years, Gillingham have had on their books Charlie Allen (son of Martin), Joe Martin (son of Alvin), Jake Hessenthaler (son of Andy) and Josh Hare (son of the youth team manager Darren Hare), as well as Bradley Garmston (son of Sonia Lannaman) and John Egan, whose dad, also called John, was a great Gaelic footballer.

Comment

Wasn't Pele's son a mediocre goalkeeper?

Comment

Last season Crawley Town managed to field Mathias Pogba and Lewis Young, whose brother Ashley occasionally comes down to the Broadfield to watch him. That's brotherly love, that is, putting yourself through a Crawley game voluntarily...

Comment

For a while in the late 1990s we had twin brothers Scott (full back, underrated, about 200 games for us) and David (striker, described routinely as a 'pocket battleship' presumably for his speed and, er, robustness, 20 games) McNiven. Sons of ex-Leeds and Bradford striker David McNiven, too.

Comment

There was a stat out once that you were 700 times more likely than average to make it as a pro baseball player if your father was a pro baseball player. Think it might have been in Freakonomics.

Anyway, it makes you wonder what a similar stat would be for footballers. I can see how it would be beneficial. Parents who might encourage you in your career instead of telling you to do your French homework, a ready-made network of contacts, favours waiting to be called in and so on.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Dave Beasant's son, Sam, was also a goalie.

Hasn't saved a penalty in an FA Cup final or injured himself with a bottle of salad cream AFAIK.
                              His other son plays at centre half for Chesham Utd.

Dean Saunders' son runs around up front gamely for Crewe.

Comment

Sergio Pinto, younger brother of Joao, had a year in West Yorkshire with limited success.

Comment

Working...
                                X