X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin S
    replied
    City Football Group

I was just thinking it's a surprise that Hyde haven't had their kit changed yet. Maybe from their PoV a club "at that level" isn't worth the "fuss" it was cause them in terms of "local PR issues".

So City now own clubs in England, USA, Australia and, coming soon, Japan.

Red Bull now has RB Leipzig, Red Bull New York, Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull Brasil and Red Bull Ghana unless I've missed somewhere.

Tan (Cardiff, Sarajevo) and Pozzo (Udinese, Granada, Watford) are also owners of clubs in multiple countries too.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    City Football Group

Ah, here it is:

Has the Hyde fiasco been covered on OTF? You'd fucking hope so, wouldn't you? If not, then the story boils down to city chucking Hyde a (small) barrow-load of money to kind of sponsor them. The Elite squad get to play at Ewan Fields, Hyde drop the 'United' from their name, and Ewan Fields gets a brand new blue paint-job. Plus city's badge is placed very visibly inside the ground.

city are literally photoshopping history here. When the news first broke, they deleted the word 'United' from the Ewan Fields main stand. Very obviously and very shoddily photoshopped it. All good fun, all very funny, and all in line with their Welcome To Manchester poster. But you have to wonder how far this localised imperialism will go. Will Cook stop short of sponsoring every Greater Manchester team, getting them all to play in blue, and not just drop their own suffix, but take up the city one? Wigan city. Bolton city. Stockport city. Altrincham city.

In a way it's cute. Only in one way, mind. Manchester United long since stopped even pretending to give a fuck about the community they are supposed to serve. But city are hell bent on not encouraging and coaxing local support, but forcing the issue, through the use of Gary Cook's jack-boot wearing, ham-fisted, marketing secret police. I fear the rewriting of history won't stop until Grandfathers regale Grandchildren with tales of city's victorious 1992 Youth team, leading to an era of unequalled success.

Of course, one should also worry about Hyde in all this. They've been gobbled up here. Assimilated by a large planet eating robot. But they get to survive. And man's will to survive tends to burns brighter and more fiercely than his will for independence and autonomy. They get to play on. And they get to pretend they've chosen to revert to their original name, and their original colours, and this was all their idea. But was it fuck. You think city would have got involved with a team playing in read going under the United sobriquet?

I've grown accustomed to the very strange idea of city winning something. You throw the sort of funding at a 'project' as they have, and it'll eventually spawn something worthwhile. But what hurts is that Manchester is now home to possibly the two most hateful clubs in the country (jostling and jousting with London here). Scant consolation that Manchester Untied go quietly about their cuntishness, while city proclaim it from the rooftops.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    City Football Group

I can't find it on the search but I wrote something on here a the time of City 'investing' in Hyde about their footballing imperialism. Didn't realise they'd take it global.

Leave a comment:

• ian.64
    replied
    City Football Group

Good thing, too. What this sport needs is the iron fist of wealthy paymasters to buy only the best, consign the mere serfs of the game to oblivion and make the football world pure for the footballing connoisseur who thinks Tranmere Rovers are a Gaelic music band.

About time if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    City Football Group

Woah.

This shit is even more serious than Man Utd objecting to Coca Cola adverts. It's kind of like that, plus Vincent Tan, plus Allam rolled into one.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    started a topic City Football Group

City Football Group

In the future there will be no football. Only City Football Group. There will be no Uniteds, Rovers, Rangers or Tigers. Only City. There will be no red, yellow, white, black or old gold. Only blue. There will be no individual history, tradition, memories or players. Only Brian Marwood. The enemy won't be anyone other than Red Bull. The future is City Football Group.
Working...
X