Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mascots observing minutes silences

A round of applause for Mr Bignutz.

He has been cited on Twitter as appearing in a "Daily Mail" comments section:

https://twitter.com/BestoftheMail/status/400388394225655808

Comment

Sarrie the Camel shows total solidarity with trapped Chilean Miners. Whilst riding a segway.

Comment

Comment

Thank you for the Toby pic, vv. Though just when you think we've reached a new level of absurdity along comes a camel on a segway.

Comment

I like to think it is what the Segway was built for.

Comment

Seems strange to say it after everything that's come before, but the segwaying camel is truly the jumping the shark moment here. It just beats out 'Patton inspecting the troops' for best pic in the thread (close third is Bradford's bantam looking gormless while remembering the 56).

I remember seeing a double-sombre Beau Brummie (god knows why they needed two) at St Andrews once.

Comment

via vicaria wrote: I remember seeing a double-sombre Beau Brummie (god knows why they needed two) at St Andrews once.
                When did they get rid of the Blue Nose? Possibly the most surreal mascot ever.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                  Originally posted by via vicaria
                  I remember seeing a double-sombre Beau Brummie (god knows why they needed two) at St Andrews once.
                  When did they get rid of the Blue Nose? Possibly the most surreal mascot ever.
                  I can throw several Japanese mascots into the ring at the sound the word "surreal", but here's non-league Blaublitz Akita's mascot Blaugon harvesting some rice.

Comment

OK, I had been somewhat sniffy about people just posting pictures of bizarre mascots without the involvement of the solemnity of the minutes silence.

But that rice harvesting one is beyond superb.

Comment

Janik wrote: Sarrie the Camel shows total solidarity with trapped Chilean Miners. Whilst riding a segway.

Had to look more than twice, it looks like his trousers are around his ankles. I wondered what that had to do with the Chilean Miners.

Comment

This thread's had a phenomenal number of views, even more than the 161-page "Greece..." thread over on World which has been running for almost four years.

Comment

This thread has now been linked to in the Guardian's no-less-funny-than-it-used-to-be Fiver.

Didn't see that one coming.

Comment

With all the pictures in the thread, this thing is aching for some sort of storyboard being put together. Patton's a good start...

Comment

Hah! Is that you in your Wales Admiral tracksuit top?

Comment

We don't do many moments of silence here (although some) but we do the national anthem at every fucking sporting event so that's our equivalent, I guess.

Some of these pictures may not work so you'll have to bear with me.

Wisconsin's Bucky Badger with the hockey team

UWashington's husky at a basketball game

Soo Greyhound (junior hockey)

Something with Japanese baseball, I think

Alpine (Texas) High School

Breaking the fourth wall at Apopka (FL?) high school

I have no idea...

Hillsboro Hops, minor league baseball in Oregon

Wright State, near Dayton, Ohio

Houston Dynamo (MLS) joined by the mascot from the Corpus Christy Hooks (minor league baseball)

Carrie Underwood at what looks like a minor league baseball game but I can't name the team. It might be the Nashville Sounds, but I'm not sure.

More Minor League Baseball, Delmarva Shorebirds in Salisbury, MD. I've been there.

Cleveland Browns, NFL

Cincinnati Reds. Three mascots, Mr Redleg, Rosie, and Gapper.

A whole bunch of mascots at a Harrisburg (PA) Senators game (minor league baseball)

And my all time favorite. Trenton Thunder. The catcher is clearly muttering "Dios mío!"

Comment

The Beeb hits back, and hits back hard.

Comment

Quite a collection you have there, Reed.

That is "Ozzie the Cougar" of the Nashville Sounds with Ms. Underwood. The Wiki claims that Ozzie's genesis lies in the Sounds' owners also controlling the Kane County Cougars (suburban Chicago), who had an extra cougar costume at the time.

And the Japanese mascots are those of the Chiba Lotte Marines.

Comment

I think my favourite of Reed's is this

even though it looks like a warning poster against double agents from the cold war:

"Soldiers! You may all look the same in uniform! But beware! Perhaps someone in your midst is not what they seem! Just because they salute the flag does not mean they love it! If you suspect there's a crocodile in your regiment, report him!"

Comment

One from Rugby League:

Comment

A puzzled/easily distracted figure at Exeter City:

Comment

Oh, well worth clicking on that one above to see full size and clock the expression on the lion's face. It rivals that of the West Ham Hammer.

Comment

He looks like he's just eaten a ball-boy and is trying not to get caught.

Comment

I've just noticed that upper left corner of the photo that LLR highlights features what appears to be another mascot, perhaps a coyote or steer, who has removed the head of his costume.

Comment

No, ursus, I think that's one of our mutant overlords preparing to reveal his presence.

Comment

Grecian the Lion has just seen his high-school sweetheart, for whom he’d just bought an engagement ring and who he was planning to propose to at half-time, locked in a passionate embrace with his father behind the dugout.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X