• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mascots observing minutes silences

Oh thank goodness, we're on a new page.

Comment

Quite apart from the sheer bizarro nature of the design, I think one of the fundamental problems with Kingsley is that I doubt he'll achieve the one useful thing mascots actually do at football clubs which is engage with children.

I know a major factor in my son enjoying Wimbledon games with me since he was three was that he genuinely loved Haydon the Womble and originally was as (if not more) excited about seeing him as he was about any player or the game itself.

Can anyone see that happening with Thistle, David Shrigley thinks Kingsley "will 'intimidate' the opposition" and while I imagine he's being a bit tongue-in-cheek I don't actually see what he does (apart from attract publicity which it's already been proved massively successful at).

I'm over-thinking this, aren't I?

Strange to hear Shrigley's refined Cheshire accent in the video too.

Comment

People take children to Partick Thistle?

Comment

It's by far the best (senior) footballing experience in Glasgow.

Comment

One of the things this new monstrosity has brought to light is just how clunky the attempts on social media and on here are at taking the piss out of Thistle.

Remember, we've been Scottish football's punchline for half a century and folks back home have had plenty of time to hone their material: even the most acerbic twitter commentator in the last couple of days has been a rank fucking amateur compared to a fall-down-drunk Falkirk fan, a Clyde fan with a grudge or the kind of stuff that used to appear in Airdrie fanzines.

As for the new sponsorship deal, those asset-stripping, hedge-fund cunts from San Fran concern me much more than the ugly mascot (or people slagging it off).

Comment

By fuck, am I glad I got my pro-Jags comment in before that (unless it's patronising?).

Comment

Ha! Ha! No, we know you're one of the good guys Harry (even if you and I sometimes disagree on what makes a good Thistle strip).

Comment

blameless wrote: One of the things this new monstrosity has brought to light is just how clunky the attempts on social media and on here are at taking the piss out of Thistle.

Remember, we've been Scottish football's punchline for half a century and folks back home have had plenty of time to hone their material: even the most acerbic twitter commentator in the last couple of days has been a rank fucking amateur compared to a fall-down-drunk Falkirk fan, a Clyde fan with a grudge or the kind of stuff that used to appear in Airdrie fanzines.
                  Take the piss out of Thistle? No, no, no, surely you understand that patronising Thistle fans is much more fun? Every's second club and all that...

Comment

those asset-stripping, hedge-fund cunts from San Fran
                    For me, the fact that it's an asset stripping hedge fund behind all this makes it about four times funnier than it would be otherwise.

Comment

Are they asset strippers?

I thought they were short sellers.

Comment

I love the thought of asset-stripping hedge funds biding their time for the last couple of decades of the gentrification of football, just waiting for the opportunity to pounce on the asset rich Partick Thistle.

Comment

And the news is Partick Thistle are apparently dropping the new mascot.

That didn't last long.

Comment

Made the news in France and Poland I see:
                            www.tf1.fr/tf1/telefoot/news/insolite-pire-mascotte-de-l-histoire-football-9173495.html
                            http://sport.fakt.pl/pilka-nozna/kingsley-najbrzydsza-maskotka-swiata-,artykuly,554074.html

Comment

Shame really, even given the hedge fund chief's involvement. Perhaps some other clubs could get controversial artists to design their mascots. I'm sure the Chapman brothers (how appropriate) could come up with something suitably gruesome for Arsenal.

Comment

A coagulated mass of dismembered arms all signalling the offside trap, perhaps.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: And the news is Partick Thistle are apparently dropping the new mascot.

That didn't last long.
                                  Where has that been reported? Nothing on their site, which seems to be attempting to continue their new, scary image ;

Comment

I showed Kingsley to my five-year-old son and he thought it was "cute". He's a Pokemon fan, though, so maybe he's used to this sort of thing. But I'm doubtful that he's really all that frightening to children.

Comment

I doubt he is.

He rather reminds me of this friendly chap, who was the all the rage with the bourgie green set in Germany

Comment

Mascots make news at the Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2015/jun/23/strange-terrifying-world-football-mascots-in-pictures

Comment

We have a winner! From the Guardian article on the previous page. Here is "Mr Testicles doing his bit at Goodison Park for the Male Cancer Awareness Campaign"

Comment

Mr Testicles popped out [ahem] on the other mascot thread.

Comment

Getting dressed up like that takes some balls.

Comment

I used to be the guy inside the Mister Testicles outfit then the bosses gave me the sack

Comment

The Thistle Twitter account is hawking Kingsley T-shirts, so I don't think he's been squashed yet.

Comment

In Brazil, Mr Testicles is Senhor Testiculo. He knows how difficult it is to get the message across to men, so he prefers the indirect route:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X