X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mascots observing minutes silences

Comment

It's a perfect illustration of how you feel if you've ever had to watch Thistle in the flesh more than once.

As they say in these parts it's fuckin jaggy, what mare dae you want?

Comment

I've only just discovered (from reading a Scotsman piece on Kingsley) that he's meant to be thistle-shaped. Am I uniquely dumb for not realising?

Comment

No

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: I've only just discovered (from reading a Scotsman piece on Kingsley) that he's meant to be thistle-shaped. Am I uniquely dumb for not realising?
            No. I thought he was a giant sun.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: I've only just discovered (from reading a Scotsman piece on Kingsley) that he's meant to be thistle-shaped. Am I uniquely dumb for not realising?
              Aye. I mean it's weird looking but it's clearly meant to be a thistle.
              It's Darwinsim, if you're kids aren't traumatised by it then they are capable of watching Thistle for the rest of their lives and all the resulting horrors that will inevitably entail. Fuckin genius when you think about.

Comment

Yeah, I assumed he was a thistle-monster.

Comment

I've actually done skin work - Henry's Cat at a children's fete, the Big Bad Wolf in panto - and both Kingsley and Ernie are making me want to get a job as a mascot. This could be a brave new era for the trade.

Comment

Shrigley and Kingsley are both brilliant.

Comment

It's not quite as much fun when you realise it's all tied into a deal with something called Kingsford Capital Management.

Not really a hassle for Turner nominated artists mind, it's all about the money, money, money..

Comment

But they are such lovely people . . .

Mike Wilkins, a partner at Kingsford Capital Management, paid for about 100 of his hedge fund buddies to spend an afternoon at AT&T Park. Meanwhile, concession workers at the stadium are without contracts and facing a three-year wage freeze.

Comment

Well, yes, but until the revolution I'm going to enjoy the brilliant weirdness of Kingsley.

And frankly I hope he sticks around after the revolution. But maybe he can be renamed.

I think I read on Twitter that Shrigley is a Jags supporter, so although I'm sure he was happy for the cash, it may have been a labor of love as well.

Comment

He is, and he is the one who managed to convince his hedgie mate to sponsor the team.

Kingsford happens to be headquartered in Port Richmond, by the way.

Comment

Point Richmond?

Weird.

Comment

Ain't it?

No suitable office space in Belvedere or Tiburon, I guess.

Comment

Well, there's really no real estate in the Bay Area that isn't high-end real estate nowadays.

But I wonder how and why a Bay Area firm like that ended up sponsoring a Glasgow football club.

Comment

Mike Wilkins, managing member of Kingsford Capital and art aficionado, found himself taken with the Maryhill club after a chance meeting with one of his favourite artists, the Turner Prize nominated and long-time Jags fan, David Shrigley. When the pair met several years ago at a dinner in San Francisco, the conversation quickly turned to the Maryhill side. After a bit of independent research, the Californian’s mind was made up to support Thistle and, much to the club's surprise, called Ian Maxwell directly to get the wheels in motion.

Comment

Well, I'll be.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: There is another, more abstract, sun/head image (possibly with the same screaming/snarling face) it really reminds me of too, it may be from an album cover.

It's going to really bug me until I remember what it was though.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: No

Well, exactly! This is a proper Glaswegian thistle-shaped mascot and it still brings back happy memories :

Comment

No, thanks but none of those, Bored. I had a feeling it was from a The The cover or someone like them/in their era but I can already sense I'm going to drive myself mad with this one.

Comment

Comment

Uuuuuurrrrggggghhhh, no no no no no! That's not it, it's just horrible, stop it.

Comment

Might want to make that one a link rather than an image, Bored. Just in case anyone opens the thread at work, with their boss walking past.

Comment

I'm guessing the original image posted was that of the CD version of the album rather than the single said album was named after.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X