The School of Scientology - matchgoing 8th to 14th March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The School of Scientology - matchgoing 8th to 14th March

East Grinstead Town versus Horndean FC on Tuesday for me if I can dive out of work at a reasonable time. No game this weekend as both sets of parents will be at TMT Towers...

Dipping out on a potentially reasonable away trip with the Villagers to Liversedge tomorrow, because a good friend is going up to Glasgow tomorrow and has given me his pass for City's game with Leicester, mainly because it means that his son, who is autistic, can still attend, as he wouldn't go on his own.

Comment

I'm back in Wales for Mother's Day weekend, taking my parents out on Saturday night though rather than the traditional Sunday lunchtime for reasons that will become obvious.

My sporting plans for the week are :

Saturday - Porthcawl Town AFC v FC Cwmaman, South Wales Alliance Premier. Hopefully seeing my hometown football team for the first time in decades, though on every occasion I've tried to watch them in recent years the fixture has fallen foul of the weather,

Sunday - Cymru v France, Six Nations. The reason for me missing lunch with Mum. Not expecting much from what is a bizarre Welsh selection, the team that is - not my Mum.

Tuesday - Wimbledon v Gillingham, Division Four, My fifth Dons game in a little over three weeks which is far more frequent than I usually manage.

Thursday - Oxford Spires v Birmingham Brummies, SGB Premiership. My first speedway fixture of the season and the ostentatiously-monikered Spires' debut meeting as Oxford begin their ambitious, nay possibly foolhardy, plan to run teams in all three of the sport's divisions in Britain. This one is very weather-dependent though, obviously.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-03-2024, 23:31.

Comment

To Loftus Road tomorrow where Middlesbrough don't often get much and I'm not expecting anything given that QPR are in form. After they refused me a ticket because I might have been a Barnsley or Wigan supporter on two previous Saturdays, Fleetwood don't seem so bothered that I might be a Bristol Rovers fan so I'm there on Tuesday for my first League tick of the year.
        Last edited by Capybara; 08-03-2024, 18:53.

Comment

The short trip to Oxford for my 13 year old and me tomorrow.

Not expecting anything at all, especially as Joshua has never seen us win away, but I'm determined to enjoy the rest of this season regardless.

Comment

I'm in Exeter this weekend for a first visit to the real St James Park. Praying for 3 points as I don't see the other sides around us, doing anything but winning tomorrow.

Comment

Just home from Prague so didn't relish the prospect of a long day travelling to Charlton to watch Carlisle lose. Instead I'm leaning towards 1st v 3rd in NW Counties D1N, which is FC St Helens v Route One Rovers.

I may drag my arse off the couch for something local on Tuesday, but I shall definitely be at Anfield on Thursday for the second leg of the Europa League tie with Sparta Praha.

Comment

Looking forward to South Shields FC v Brackley Town tomorrow.

Dumbarton's trip to East Fife was almost tempting - if we hadn't shipped 5 on Tuesday to 2nd bottom Stranraer. Our only experienced centre half (Sean Crighton) is missing tomorrow and the prospect of us playing with either a half fit Mark Durnan (absent since October) or 2 central defenders with a combined age of about 37 fills me with dread.

So 10:05 train from Edinburgh to Newcastle. Means an early start from Balloch, but I've given myself enough time for a look in Reflex Records (and maybe JG Windows) and some food. Metro out to Bede, pre-match beer and then take in the Shields game before heading back into Newcastle for the train home. I reckon I'll get home sometime after 11:00 tomorrow night.

Proper away day.

Comment

Rochdale v Oxford City. All the resolutions that were necessary to make the club attractive to prospective buyers were passed at last night's EGM with two Letters of Intent (to buy) now issued and representatives from both parties expected to be in attendance tomorrow. Any thoughts that the game itself might be a bit of a sideshow could immediately be dispelled by a quick glance at the table. Oxford look doomed but only 12 points separate Hartlepool in 10th and Kidderminster in 23rd with Dale only 4 points above the drop zone in 14th. There are no such things as must win games at this stage of the season, but for a host of reasons this one comes closer than most.

3rd placed Wythenshawe's visit to 4th placed Chadderton in the NWCL Premier on Tuesday isn't a must win game either but with Bury's run in looking fairly straightforward on paper they can't afford to drop many if any points if they're to have any chance of taking the title race to the wire.

Comment

Llandudno 1-5 Airbus
                    Cymru North

Airbus bossed this game from start to finish, and yet trailed by 1-0 at the break; Llandudno's Alex Boss breaking onto a ball over the top, admirably refusing to go down when pulled at by the defender trailing him, and slotting into the bottom corner on a rare foray forward. It hinted a potentially thrilling second half of rearguard action, but instead Airbus scored twice from corners early on in the half, both headed home by their giant centre-half, to make it merely a case of how many they'd score. Despite being camped in Llandudno's half – the home side only made it into Airbus' third twice in the whole half – the visitors added only three more, the last of them coming in the final minute.

It was all a bit flat to be honest and the game's only real highlight came in the fist half, when one of the noisy contingent of young home fans behind the goal called an Airbus player an "airplane tosser!'

Airbus are unbeaten since early October and are now four points clear at the top of the Cymru North, but Flint Town United have two games in hand, and Holywell, just a point further back, have four games in hand.

Comment

Arsenal v Brentford. We only lost to them in the final minute in the home game but I'm expecting a severe beating this time.

On Tuesday, there's a big game in the race for a play-off place in the NLS - Maidstone United v Chelmsford City.

Then I hope to tick off another UCL Division 1 ground at Saffron Dynamo v Selston.

Comment

Bognor Regis Town vs Hornchurch in the Isthmian Prem. I've been to Bognor's ground about six or seven times before and every time I've gotten lost on my way either to or from the ground. The sun is shining, it hasn't rained since Tuesday, and there's no predicted rain until 4.00, and Bognor is another excellent non league ground. Hornchurch are a mile clear at the top of the league, so an away win is expected, though the home team are chasing a play off place, so a surprise is probably possible.

If this was somehow called off, there'd still be time to get back for Worthing vs Taunton, but I'd be astonished if this one did somehow fall foul of the weather. I'm leaving in about twenty minutes, for bit of a pad round a town that I've not properly visited before.

Comment

On a train to Southend for what would be a mid-table clash in a more sensible divsion, instead of both being in the relegation scramble that Artificial Hipster mentioned upthread. Southend are still possibly the best team I've seen all season (in fairness, Chesterfield were in their 'we've already won this, no need to expand much effort ' phase when I saw them) and I'm not expecting a lot, so this is more an opportunity to see family with a football match attached.
                          There are midweek fixtures at London Colney and Cockfosters that I'd like to take in, but I see some rain is forecast for the start of the week so I imagine neither are going to happen.
                          Last edited by Via Newbury Park; 09-03-2024, 12:35.

Comment

MSK Zilina vs FK Zeleziarne Podbrezova (Saturday, 1730)

First game since the Slovak league split into top six and bottom six. Both clubs have young squads capable of attractive football, but both are struggling for form. Zilina are without a win in five games, including the last played before the winter break. Podbrezova did start the spring with a win, but ended up having to rely on Trencin and Banska Bystrica failing to pick up 3 points last weekend to secure their place in the top section.

It may not be pretty. Let's say 1-1.

Comment

I'm at Vale Farm for the visit of something called Holyport.

Comment

South Shileds v Brackley Town

Comment

Wembley nearly take an early lead from a corner.

Comment

For the second time a Holyport free-kick hits the Wembley wall

Comment

Massed sulk a minor foul. Apparently there's a lot of previous between these two.

Comment

Wembley take the lead from a ball into the box that's headed back perfectly for a fine volley.

Comment

Wembley are one up at half-time.

Comment

By the way, it's much colder than I was expecting.

Comment

Wembley nearly score from a corner right at the beginning of the second half.

Comment

Holyport equalise with one of those freak crosses that bounce in off the back post.

Comment

Much sulking by the Wembley bench as a foul was correctly judged just outside the box. The free-kick is well saved, but the follow up is ballooned over the bar.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X