Bundesliga 2 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundesliga 2 question

My nephew went to see Hertha play Kiel last week. It ended with Kiel scoring a PK in the dying moments off of a VAR decision that didn't make a lot of sense to my nephew. I told him I'd try to find out more. I know a bit more about the sport than he does. (but not much).

I've tried to find a clip of it online but only can find shakey phone videos from the back row that don't include the actual foul.

There are also a lot of videos of people recreating the game on FIFA and people complaining about it in German that I can't understand.

Is it impossible to get Bundesliga 2 highlights on youtube outside Germany?

They're region-locked, so you'd need a VPN to access the highlights.

ESPN has the US rights, so I've dipped into ESPN+ and watched the end of the game -- Kiel were repeatedly pumping the ball into the box in injury time and with one of those crosses, there was a clash as a Kiel player went to control the ball right as a Schalke defender gave it a wallop upfield, just inside the top of the area. Both players went down grabbing at their legs and play continued for quite some time before the ref got the call to check the pitchside monitor, and decided that the Kiel player had gotten there first, and that the clearance had come from the defender kicking through the attacker's foot, so penalty given. It is kind of similar to the thing you see a lot now where an attacking player sees the defender winding up for a big boot out of the area and just sticks their leg inbetween the other player and the ball, happy enough to get kicked if it means they might get a pen.

Comment

Yes, as Scratchy says.

I've seen penalties given for a lot less, so that wasn't massively controversial, but the game continued for some time after the incident, beyond the scheduled end of the game possibly, until the ref called a halt, reviewed the incident on the pitchside monitor and blew for a PK. The lack of an immediate halt to proceedings and a review is perhaps where the controversy kicks in.

I'm led to believe that it's only in England that VAR hasn't been introduced seemlessly, though, so I'm really not sure what to make of this.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
        X