Favourite one-line managerial philosophy quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite one-line managerial philosophy quotes

Almost all of these will, by their nature, be largely apocryphal, but what the hell. Add as you see fit. My favourites that I still use today:

Bob Paisley - "kick the ball into the goal. If you can't, pass it to someone who can".

Brian Clough - "if God had meant football to be played in the air he'd have put grass up there".

Howard Wilkinson - "I've never seen a sack of money score a goal".

Was it Malcolm Allison who said something like "Players have more time in the box than they think they have"? Whoever said it was right back in the '70s or whenever it was coined, IMHO, but these days I turn it around and say that they have less time and need to hit the ball first time or have it blocked by a defender, which invariably happens when they take a touch to try to set themselves.

Comment

Bill Shankly - "don't believe everything you read on the Internet"

Comment

Alan Latchley: "You've got to be in a rage to bring out the best in yourself … one of [my] tactics is to kidnap their wives."

Comment

Alan Durban - "If you want entertainment, you could go out and get a bunch of clowns."

Comment

Zdeněk Zeman - "I'd rather lose 5-4 than draw 0-0"

As well as "Sometimes we lost, and yet the team left the pitch to applause, for me, that was the greatest thing.”​

Last edited by Gert from the Well; 27-02-2024, 18:49.

Comment

“If you eat caviar every day, it is difficult to return to sausages.”

Arsene Wenger

Comment

Equalise before they score- Blanchflower

Comment

Mick McCarthy on not picking flair players - “It wasn’t the game for him on Saturday, it was a game for hairy-arsed pros,”

Comment

"Who moved my Cheese: An A-Mazing way to deal with change in your Free-kick location" - Dr Spencer Johnson w/ Ivan Toney.

Comment

"When their third goal went in, I knew our pig was dead "
                      Jimmy Sirrell

Comment

I think it was also Sirrell who said, 'the best team always wins, the rest is only gossip'.

Comment

Dyche: “Legs on fire, heads in the fridge”

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Dyche: “Legs on fire, heads in the fridge”

TBF, he nicked that one from Jeffrey Dahmer.

Comment

Ebbe Skovdahl, Aberdeen’s manager a while back came out with “Statistics are like miniskirts: They give you good ideas but hide the important things.”

Comment

Bill Shankly, being not too philosophical regarding Everton “If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.​“

and of course the legendary “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

Comment

The official motto of OTF:

"Football is the most important of the least important things" (Arrigo Sacchi, and then attributed to various others).

Comment

"It wasn't the result we were looking for, no. And it's easy for heads to drop at a time like this. But it's a bit like dog crucifixion. There are always going to be the naysayers trying to mess with your mind."

Comment

Jorge Jesus: "There are three important factors in a football game: winning, scoring, and the artistic score. But the latter is in figure skating."

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                        Alan Latchley: "You've got to be in a rage to bring out the best in yourself … one of [my] tactics is to kidnap their wives."
                                        And his 3 Ms, motivation, motivation and motivation.

A truly underrated manager.

Comment

"Dare to fail", three world to live by.

Comment

“We need to know that I am talking about facts"
                                            Rafa Benitez

Comment

"We only have to be lucky once. You have to be lucky every time." -- Ken Bates.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Velvet View Post
                                                "We only have to be lucky once. You have to be lucky every time." -- Ken Bates.
                                                The IRA were football managers?

Comment

Working...
                                                X