Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool (aet)
    League Cup Final, Wembley

Over the past decade or so, Brent Council have really cracked down on street drinking around Wembley, so unless you want to have your cans confiscated by a stern policeman threatening you with a fine, it pays to plan your walk to the ground. We park just outside the No Swally zone and I know that I can crack the first can as we leave the car and have necked it before we reach Wembley Park tube. A dry walk up past the grotty looking Wembley International hotel and down a side street near the Hilton where some ornamental shrubs provide cover for the clandestine drinker with a good view of approaching drink polis. Down a little side alley and you come out opposite the Purple Zone, where all the Club Wembley biffs go into the stadium. The Police are all round the corner watching fans come off Wembley Way and up the steps to the stadium, so Can #3 can be gulped without fear of confiscation. Intending to meet mates by the Liverpool end, we walked past the flats that now sit where it used to be an expanse of car and coach parking, and although it was like sitting in a fucking wind tunnel in Tromso I was able to polish off the 4th can before (a) my hand froze to the can, and (b) my need for a piss became overwhelming.

Once inside the ground, £7.25 for real ale (Brakspears) or £7.50 for craft (Camden stout) - with the extra cost being outweighed by no queues whatsoever and long ones for the shitty lager at £25 for 4 pints. The one downside of all this was that I missed VvD "scoring" on the hour mark as I was having a much needed burst (and couldn't be arsed with the chaos under the stands at half time). Still, I was back at my seat when he scored the eventual winner.

Comment

Coventry City 5-0 Maidstone United
      FA Cup 5th Round
      Crowd, nearly 27,000 which was very good.

After Friday nights debacle Vs Preston where we lost 3-0, Mark Robins took no chances and names his strongest possible team against Maidstone.

Not really much today really. We were two nil up after 12 minutes and three at half time. Simms scored a hat trick which was nice to see. I think he is coming good now after being in and out of form this season.

Maidstone gave it a go in the second half but Fabio Taveres who has come back from a year out scored a brace in the last few minutes. Shame he didn't do it sooner as I had 6-0 at 25/1.

Comment

Hampton & Richmond Borough allegedly 2 Havant & Waterlooville 0
        National League South
        Att: 398 as my mate bailed (and 3 dogs including Poppy).

To the Battle of the Ampersands! I arrived late at a game here back in 2018 as I didn't realise that the old Waterloo Eurostar platforms were in use for local services. This time I was late because I had four pints in the Jolly Coopers near the ground with my mate who couldn't now attend the game due to babysitting issues. His bairns were fine in the pub, mind, and he refused my suggestions to leave them with a pub quiz team or to tether them to railings...

The Beavers are not a merger team, but were founded in 1921 as Hampton and saucily added the Richmond Borough part in 1999 in an attempt to grow the support base. The club is now owned by two 'eccentric' Italian-Argentinian brothers, who have big plans for the Beavers and have promised to invest lots of spondoolicks...

The most famous local is probably boffin Queen guitarist and astrophysicist Brian Harold May. Actor and theatre chap David Garrick (who has a nearby ait named after him), green-fingered Lancelot 'Capability' Brown and Fred Karno (who claimed to have discovered both Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel) have all lived here.

Beveree has been the club's home since 1959, the unusual name coming from the nearby house whose grounds it was originally part of. My last visit was in 2018 when they beat Hungerford 3-1. This was 7th versus 23rd and in all probability doomed to relegation, so a home win was on the cards.

The ground is a non-league cracker, with a small main stand on the halfway line, covered terracing to the right of it and green, red and blue seating to the left, a mostly open opposite side with a large scaffolding TV gantry, a scaffolding cover beind one goal and a tiny but gnatty raised seating area behind the other, next to the raised hospitality area. Eight triangular lattice floodlights make up the ground.

The first half was mostly even, especially as I had couple of refreshing pints and Scampi Fries and got chatting to Andy and his dog Poppy. The home team took the lead on 27 minutes with a slot in, but aside from that it was a nothing first half.

In the second half nothing happened. I was therefore surprised on full time when the announcer said it finished 2-0. Marching back to the station, a southern-based Widnes rugby league fan that I got chatting to confirmed that the second was a screamer. It appears that on 57 minutes a goal was scored from outside the box and I missed it entirely.

Anyway, for twelve quid it was a tremendous evening. Badger badger badger badger.

Last edited by The Mighty Trin; 27-02-2024, 22:23.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it, Trin. I wasn't feeling up to a match in the end so headed him after work. Will meet you at a game one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Glad you enjoyed it, Trin. I wasn't feeling up to a match in the end so headed him after work. Will meet you at a game one day!
            Yeah, when I miss a goal I'm clearly not at my best! I blame a dodgy pint of Courage...

Comment

Folkestone Invicta 0 Potters Bar Town 0
              Isthmian Premier
              Att 482

You know me, I'll watch anything. But fuck me, this was dire. It was even less entertaining than watching Brentford go two down in six minutes at West Ham last night. (I haven't yet been able to bring myself to write up that one).

I suppose I shouldn't have expected too much. It was 17th versus 16th place with neither in danger of relegation. It had been just over a year since I'd seen Folkestone here and, such is the turnover at this level, I only recognised one of their players, the striker Dave Smith, and he was taken off at half time. Their play was predictably disjointed and patternless. Potters Bar were not much better though they did create a few chances and at least provided a moment of amusement when they managed to sky the ball over an open goal from a yard out.

The second half continued in much the same vein but with extra injury stoppages. There should really have been seven or eight minutes of added time but the crowd almost breathed a sigh of relief when only four were announced. An early contender for the worst match of 2024.

Comment

Caerau Ely 1-0 Taff's Well
                JD Cymru South

The battle of the Cardiff environs. You cant get much further out of Cardiff while still being "in" Cardiff than Caerau Ely's Cwrt-y-ala ground. Its practically under the western ring road that isn't a ring road which links the M4 and Cardiff Bay. You can smell farming there. Taffs Well is the very first stop outside of Cardiff as you head north on the train and technically is in a different council area and a different health board. But it's so close you'd barely notice you'd left the city.

Anyway, the home side scored after 40 seconds and that's how the scoreline stayed. Taff's Well wanged one against the corner of the frame of the goal in the second half and that was the closest they came to scoring. It was an even game, played end to end, with a few very good chances that came to nothing.

In rhe first half I sat next to Mark "Jonah" Jones, who is both incredibly well known in the Welsh football scene and also incredibly well liked by just about everyone too. I asked him who he will be picking for the Wales C international game in 3 weeks time. He asked me who I thought should be in there and liked my answer, telling me I had a good eye. So I suspect my nominee is already on the team sheet.

It got cold. Second half I stood up to try and get some different photos for my blog. I liked this one - the 'mist' is the steam coming off the overheating players as they crowded together waiting for a Caerau Ely free kick to get slung into the box.

Comment

West Didsbury and Chorlton 1-1 Prestwich Heys
                  NWCFL Premier Division

With the first hints of mist drifting in from the Meadows as the game kicked off fears were expressed that this one might go the same way as an abandoned game I watched in the same company at Maine Road earlier in the season. But although conditions did worsen the farthest corner flag from us always remained just about visible and while I've no idea whether there is any particular guidance refereees have to follow, the officials last night were at least spared having to put up with a goalkeeper pecking their heads in the cause of an abandonment whenever they were within earshot as had been the case with the Ashville keeper at Road.

Mid-table West were the form team going into this one but 5th placed Prestwich immediately set about demonstrating that they are where they are on merit, forcing West's keeper to tip one onto his crossbar within a couple of minutes. The main difference between the teams was that the visiting defenders were comfortable on the ball, willing to take a touch before looking for a pass, or in the case of their big no.6 looking to drive upfield with the ball at every opportunity.

A single goal lead at the break - an outstretched boot meeting a cross from the left - didn't do their dominance justice. West improved in the second half and began to spray about some decent passes of their own. Ben Elliot steered a header deftly past the keeper's grasp on the hour mark. Both sides went for a winner without creating any clear cut chances and the final whistle came as something of a relief as fingers by then were becoming increasingly numb.

The result leaves Prestwich looking nervously over their shoulders as they seek to cling on to a play off position. The big game of the evening at Bury meanwhile was beaten by the weather.

Comment

Parkgate 1-3 Worksop Town
                    Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup Semi Final

On arrival there was an huge queue to get in which moved quickly but manifested itself inside into an enormous gate of 402 - that's the biggest crowd Parkgate have had for many years for a competitive game. I'm not sure everybody got the best impression of them as a club though when the kick off were delayed while they had to peg the net back in at the far goal. I found myself surrounded by Worksop fans, you could recognise them as they were wearing club colours and talked funny. One of them was dissing Rotherham (once he'd established he wasn't in Barnsley) and I found myself thinking "dude, you're from Worksop"

There is a three level gap between these sides, the away players were of a higher skill level than you normally get on this ground, crisp passing and something approaching pressing. Gate certainly competed though and took the lead on the half hour from a pelanty, using the shot to test the net pegging had been done to an adequate standard. They led at half time but it felt as if they'd need to score again, they had a right chance at 1-1 early in the second half but it got blazed over and it was the sort of chance they needed to take in a game like this. Worksop's goal to take the lead was good technically, from my angle you could see the player's position and shape and the gap he'd have to shoot through, and he got it all right to fire into the top corner. There was a third goal about ten from the end and after that the game petered out. Gate's first defeat in anything since the clocks went back but they could take pride in the performance, while Worksop progress to face Penistone Church or Stocksbridge Park Steels who play tonight and then after that we look forward to the annual entertainment of wondering what batshit arrangement the county FA will come up with for staging the game this year.

Comment

The Mighty Trin - was Poppy a little white poodley thing? If so she was perched on the crush barrier along to the right of me on Saturday (which looks to be about where you took your photo last night).

Comment

Lewes FC 4-0 KSK Beveren
                        Fenix Trophy, Group D
                        Att: 944

With thanks to Patrick Thistle for last week’s thread and a reminder about this competition I made my first visit to The Dripping Pan. I arrived in Lewes in mid-afternoon – I’d have been there even earlier if the information boards at East Croydon had been working properly – and had a mooch around a few charity and antique shops looking for Seventh Series Ordnance Survey maps before going to the pub. The problem with Lewes is one of choice; there are nine Guide pubs and three breweries but I settled on a couple before heading to the ground.

And it’s a wonderful ground too. You enter from street level at the top of the home terrace with the pitch below. That’s always a good introduction to a ground. There’s a seated stand along the touchline on the right and some more terracing at the other end. On the left hand side is an embankment and you can either watch from the flat standing at the bottom or get a great view from the top. In the corner there are also four beach huts which you can hire for the game. If that isn’t enough the bars sell real ale, a rarity in itself at any ground but here there were three on sale in the main bar and the two smaller kiosks at each end also had small casks. I very rarely have a beer at a ground but, in these circumstances, I had to.

The visiting club’s recent history is complicated. In 2011 Beveren lost its place in the Belgian league and was disbanded to be replaced by another which took its place. That team continues to play in the second division under the name of SK Beveren. KSK had to start again at the lowest level of the Belgian pyramid and did so as a fan-owned club, hence its appearance in this tournament. Following legal proceedings and a subsequent agreement, the history of the club belongs to KSK and this includes two Belgian titles, two Cups, Yaya Touré, David Fairclough and Jean-Marie Pfaff.

Immediately before kick-off there were some pyrotechnics – this being Lewes you’d expect nothing else. It was pretty much one-way football and the home goalkeeper had hardly anything to do all evening. Lewes scored after four minutes when the ball was poked home during a goalmouth scramble following a corner. We waited until ten minutes into the second half for the second goal which again came from a corner, the clearance going to a Lewes player whose shot was deflected into the goal. It was 3-0 on 75 minutes when the visiting ‘keeper punched clear and the ball was fired back into the net from outside the penalty area. The scoring was completed at the end with an individual goal where the Lewes player cut inside from the right and scored with a left-foot shot from just inside the area. There were jubilant scenes at the end as Lewes are through to the finals with one game still to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                          The Mighty Trin - was Poppy a little white poodley thing? If so she was perched on the crush barrier along to the right of me on Saturday (which looks to be about where you took your photo last night).
                          No, some brown flavour of dog. I'm clearly not very good with dog types. I did see a white poodley dog though, sat in the raised seats behind the goal.

Comment

Really interested to read an outsider's perspective on somewhere I'm so familiar with that I just consider going there to be a normal thing to do, so normal I've only been there once this season.. Is the perimeter wall along the side made of bungaroosh? It is (or at least was) in my imagination, but I'm not 100% on the reliability of that, these days. It is a great place to watch football on a Saturday afternoon, looking down onto that pitch from the top of that covered terrace in that photo like you're on top of the world. I used to occasionally do the same if I went to see Barnet, but that was such asteep downward incline that if they hadn't had crush barriers to cling onto, I don't think my vertigo would have taken it.

A couple of things I'dd add, for the benefit of those who haven't made the journey to the ground before; it's exceptionally close to the railway station, no more than a minute's walk, meaning that you can turn up leave the railway station at five to three and still be in the ground (or at least in the queue to get in the ground) before three. And on a Saturday afternoon, the South Downs do make a pretty spectacular backdrop which you don't get so much at night. I do recommend a visit on a Saturday, no matter what the weather. Mist can settle on top of them or the sun can beam down upon them. It's not as all-encompassing as the view of them at Whitehawk, but IMO it's even better because they're further back.

I have a couple of complaints about it, because what is OTF if not a place where I can be slightly contrary? I do wish they'd terrace the rest of the far end of the ground. Even if only extending it across to the right hand corner as you look at it (there's a gate on the other side that would prevent it going any further in the opposite direction). I doubt that terracing over the grass bank along the side would do down well, but the steps down to pitchside wasn't there the last time I went before this season, which I'm glad to see. A whole side of a football ground where only one straight line of people can get a view of the match (and it is a good view from up there) was not a good use of space. It was the same at Dorking last Saturday. (The first time I went to the Pan in the 1980s, people were standing or sitting on the grass bank - it was effectively treated as 'slippery terracing'. I don't know how long it's been - eminently sensibly - closed off, but I did once see a drunk St Albans supporter get thrown out of the ground for rolling down it to the bottom. (It wasn't me.)

My other complaint is that positioning of that big white clubhouse/bar/etc building in the corner. It *really* restricts a lot of people's view of the corner of the pitch behind it. On a normal match day it's not an issue. Some people just aren't thata bothered by restricted views, and on a normal Saturday when the crowd is a few hundred it's not like you're stuck for places to get a good view from. But I've seen crowds of over 2,000 there as well, and it is a problem then. On the rare occasions when there isn't a choice, it's far from ideal. But it still deserves all the praise it gets. It's idiosyncratic, it's got a great name, it's got great views, the club are how I think all football clubs should be run, and they pull a decent crowd, considering that the population of the town is barely 17,000. It's not my favourite ground of the however many it is that I've been t over the years, but it's in the top five, definitely.

Comment

Leyton Orient 1 Blackpool 0

A mildly dismal statistic of Orient history is that none of our promoted sides have ever finished in the top half of the next division up in their first season after going up. This could - could - be about to change, as another win over a decent promotion-challenging side had our more optimistic elements salivating over playoffs and the like. I still reckon injuries and suspensions will kybosh that but, still, this was a hugely satisfying win. Blackpool, buoyed by battering Bolton at the weekend, began well, pressing us high and carving out promising positions but we grew into the game and by the time our new wonder winger Olly O'Neil fired us in front after 52 minutes it felt like our lead was deserved. Blackpool went off the boil and we dug in and saw out the game in a manner we haven't done much of lately.

Interestingly, for all that the standard of last season's League Two got a fair bit of criticism, all three automatically promoted sides are comfortable in the top half of League One now. Which, admittedly, also speaks to a drop-off in League One's quality without Plymouth and Ipswich setting the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                Really interested to read an outsider's perspective on somewhere I'm so familiar with that I just consider going there to be a normal thing to do, so normal I've only been there once this season.. Is the perimeter wall along the side made of bungaroosh? It is (or at least was) in my imagination, but I'm not 100% on the reliability of that, these days. It is a great place to watch football on a Saturday afternoon, looking down onto that pitch from the top of that covered terrace in that photo like you're on top of the world. I used to occasionally do the same if I went to see Barnet, but that was such asteep downward incline that if they hadn't had crush barriers to cling onto, I don't think my vertigo would have taken it.

A couple of things I'dd add, for the benefit of those who haven't made the journey to the ground before; it's exceptionally close to the railway station, no more than a minute's walk, meaning that you can turn up leave the railway station at five to three and still be in the ground (or at least in the queue to get in the ground) before three. And on a Saturday afternoon, the South Downs do make a pretty spectacular backdrop which you don't get so much at night. I do recommend a visit on a Saturday, no matter what the weather. Mist can settle on top of them or the sun can beam down upon them. It's not as all-encompassing as the view of them at Whitehawk, but IMO it's even better because they're further back.

I have a couple of complaints about it, because what is OTF if not a place where I can be slightly contrary? I do wish they'd terrace the rest of the far end of the ground. Even if only extending it across to the right hand corner as you look at it (there's a gate on the other side that would prevent it going any further in the opposite direction). I doubt that terracing over the grass bank along the side would do down well, but the steps down to pitchside wasn't there the last time I went before this season, which I'm glad to see. A whole side of a football ground where only one straight line of people can get a view of the match (and it is a good view from up there) was not a good use of space. It was the same at Dorking last Saturday. (The first time I went to the Pan in the 1980s, people were standing or sitting on the grass bank - it was effectively treated as 'slippery terracing'. I don't know how long it's been - eminently sensibly - closed off, but I did once see a drunk St Albans supporter get thrown out of the ground for rolling down it to the bottom. (It wasn't me.)

My other complaint is that positioning of that big white clubhouse/bar/etc building in the corner. It *really* restricts a lot of people's view of the corner of the pitch behind it. On a normal match day it's not an issue. Some people just aren't thata bothered by restricted views, and on a normal Saturday when the crowd is a few hundred it's not like you're stuck for places to get a good view from. But I've seen crowds of over 2,000 there as well, and it is a problem then. On the rare occasions when there isn't a choice, it's far from ideal. But it still deserves all the praise it gets. It's idiosyncratic, it's got a great name, it's got great views, the club are how I think all football clubs should be run, and they pull a decent crowd, considering that the population of the town is barely 17,000. It's not my favourite ground of the however many it is that I've been t over the years, but it's in the top five, definitely.
                                I take your point about going when it's light. I'll try and do that some time. I'm no building expert so can't say what the wall is made of.

Comment

Liverpool 3-0 Southampton (FAC 5)

Rather like the League Cup final on Sunday, if the opposition had been able to finish off the chances they created, this could've been a whole different story. As it was, they either spurned them or Kelleher saved them, and Liverpool's patched up team of fringe players and kids was able to pull clear as the second half drew on with a double from Jayden (son of Neil) Danns on his 3rd first team appearance. Lewis (son of Jason) Koumas had scored the first with a deflected shot just before the break on his first team debut, while 16 year old Trey (son of.... not a pro footballer) Nyoni came on for Elliott and became Liverpool's youngest ever FA Cup player. It's much more satisfying watching this team win than it is seeing the first team full of expensive superstars roll over another hapless outfit.

Comment

Friday: a dismal Dundalk performance, losing 2-0 at home to Galway. Amy optimism from opening week quickly dispelled. A good crowd of about 3,400 including barely a bus full of away fans. Crowds numbers will tumble quickly
                                    Sat: Maynooth u14 1-3 Bohemians, a good stab at the cup against a good side from a division above. If we can get that level of effort every week, etc, etc
                                    Sun: late withdrawal of the opposition left the u16s with no game. Back to back games against the same opposition might not have helped.. . The lads won 7-0 last week
                                    Wed: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton, a lengthy bus and ferry schlep from Dublin but happy kids and an enjoyable day all round.

Comment

MSK Zilina 1 FC Copenagen 1 (2-4 on pens) - UEFA Youth League

Nearly ten times as many here as there were to see the first team's dismal draw on Saturday (10,785 vs 1,117).

The game got off to a wild start, with Zilina missing a penalty - for an offence only the referee appeared to spot, judging by the surprised reaction of the crowd when it was given - going 0-1 dowm, and then equalising, all within the first 10 minutes.

The sides then settled down, both playing attractive football for the rest of the first-half, but with defences mostly on top. Zilina had most of the play and chances in the second-half, but the visiting defenders pulled off a succession of last-ditch tackles and saves. When they didn't, their goalkeeper stepped up. One double-save, from scorer Mario Sauer's long-range effort and Vladimir Valko's follow-up, was outstanding.

Zilina had lost on penalties the last time they reached this stage two years ago. Given this, and the early miss, there was little confidence that they would prevail here. All the Copenhagen penalties were perfectly struck, one of Zilina's hit the post, the other was easily saved.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                          X