It's up to you not to heed the call-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's up to you not to heed the call-up

For (I think) the first time ever Exeter City will have a game postponed next weekend because of our own international players' absence, not just the opponents'. (Finland, Surinam and Kenya, thank you for asking).

So that's settled, we are now officially Big. What used to be signified by getting a rare mention on Sports Report or chosen for proper telly in the FA Cup 3rd round, is now measured by a postponement. And we didn't even need to reach the second division to do it. Hooray.

Now, who else is - or isn't - a member of this exclusive club? Are there teams with a silverware collection and a decent place in the pyramid who - perhaps surprisingly - have never had this honour bestowed upon them? Conversely, how low can you go? i.e. which unlikely fixtures have been called off in the past because 3 Gibraltarians arrived in the transfer window?

Wycombe's game with Cheltenham is off due to both sides having internationals, which, from the outside, would probably be unexpected for both sides.

Wycombe's are two senior internationals for Gibraltar (Bingo!) and Northern Ireland, and an under 21 for Wales. None of the three have been starters in the last two games, although the latter would likely have been if it weren't for a recent injury. I'm not sure of the starter status of the Cheltenham call-ups, but arguably Wycombe are not significantly weakened by the call ups, barring a lot of injuries within the next week.

Comment

In 2018 York had a Conference North game postponed when our opponents Nuneaton had call ups.

St Kitts & Nevis and Grenada responsible.

Well, I say game, but they did this to us twice!

Comment

There was a Burton v. Cambridge match called off last season, due to 'international call-ups', we never did ascertain who, mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmer View Post
          In 2018 York had a Conference North game postponed when our opponents Nuneaton had call ups.

St Kitts & Nevis and Grenada responsible.
          Caused one ourselves in the Conference National a few years earlier against Bath as well, I recall, both Irelands plus Trinidad responsible on that occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

Caused one ourselves in the Conference National a few years earlier against Bath as well, I recall, both Irelands plus Trinidad responsible on that occasion.
            Not only had I forgotten we’d had cause to do that, I’d also forgotten we’d ever played Bath.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
              Wycombe's game with Cheltenham is off due to both sides having internationals, which, from the outside, would probably be unexpected for both sides.

Wycombe's are two senior internationals for Gibraltar (Bingo!) and Northern Ireland, and an under 21 for Wales. None of the three have been starters in the last two games, although the latter would likely have been if it weren't for a recent injury. I'm not sure of the starter status of the Cheltenham call-ups, but arguably Wycombe are not significantly weakened by the call ups, barring a lot of injuries within the next week.
              We have 4 I believe:

Luke Southwood - Northern Ireland - First choice keeper
              Elliott Bonds - Guyana - First choice midfielder
              Owen Bevan - Wales u21 - Has become first choice centre-back
              Oliver Hammond - Wales u21 - Mifielder, in the squad, and made a few starts

Comment

Simon's response reminds me to update this: "The latter", aka Joe Low, started Wycombe's win yesterday, and has just been upgraded to the senior Welsh squad following an injury. If Joe plays against Gibraltar on Wednesday, it will likely be a direct face-off with Wycombe team-mate and Gibraltar striker, Tjay De Barr.

Also starting yesterday was our (on loan) Northern Ireland striker, Dale Taylor, who scored twice in the 4-1 win.

For the record, Tjay came off the bench in the 89th minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

...plus Trinidad responsible on that occasion.
                  That reminds me of the numerous games we had called off due to our Trinidadian & Tobagan (just making sure) trio of the early-to-mid 2000s.

Lawrence and Edwards were mainstays but Sam's caps were much harder won, usually because of injury.

This was also a period where we'd usually get at least one player in the Welsh squad as well.

Comment

Wycombe and Wimbledon have agreed to move their EFL Trophy game to this Saturday during the international break, rather than wait until next Tuesday.

It's a 12:30 kick off, so that might dent the hopes for a record trophy crowd, but it will at least save a few pennies on floodlights.
                    Last edited by lambers; 15-11-2023, 09:13. Reason: EFL, not FA!

Comment

FA Trophy? Do you mean the Associate Members Cup with whatever sponsors name it currently has?

There was a relatively brief window when Wimbledon and Wycombe could have met in the FA Trophy - under 10 seasons from its establishment to Wimbledon becoming ineligible as a Football League club. I wonder if they ever did, though?

Comment

They didn't. They did play each other in the 1961/62 FA Amateur Cup though (a 1-0 win for Wimbledon, there).

https://www.fchd.info/WYCOMBEW.HTM

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                          FA Trophy? Do you mean the Associate Members Cup with whatever sponsors name it currently has?
                          Oops, good spot. I meant EFL Trophy, I try to avoid the sponsors where possible.

According to wiki, it hasn't been known as the Associate Member's Cup since 1992, then rebranding as the Football League Trophy, then changing to EFL Trophy in 2016.

Comment

Wycombe and Wimbledon have agreed to move their EFL Trophy game to this Saturday during the international break, rather than wait until next Tuesday.

It's a 12:30 kick off, so that might dent the hopes for a record trophy crowd, but it will at least save a few pennies on floodlights.
                            A pleasant switch given Wimbledon were due to play Bucks' bogus "club" on Saturday before they had international call ups.

Any idea why it's a 12:30pm kick-off, is there a rule that games in that competition can't clash with 3pm games?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Any idea why it's a 12:30pm kick-off, is there a rule that games in that competition can't clash with 3pm games?
                              No idea. The club statement says the date was chosen to allow more time between games, but no indication as to why that kick-off time was chosen.

Comment

When Terry Yorath was managing Wales and Bradford City simultaneously I am guessing our games were called off, but I can't exactly remember

We had a game called off a year or two back because Colchester had call ups from Malta, Guyana and Montserrat, which pleased me

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                                  When Terry Yorath was managing Wales and Bradford City simultaneously I am guessing our games were called off, but I can't exactly remember

We had a game called off a year or two back because Colchester had call ups from Malta, Guyana and Montserrat, which pleased me
                                  Call ups don't apply for coaching staff, at least nowadays. Chris Gunter missed a Wimbledon game last season to be part of the coaching team for Wales and was our third player missing but that didn't warrant a postponement.

Comment

Working...
                                  X