Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting on a fake smile and ploughing through once more - Matchgoing 11th-17th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting on a fake smile and ploughing through once more - Matchgoing 11th-17th August

To Turf Moor. First game back in the Premier League, under the lights. We've not only had a documentary, but one of the gambling firms did a parody advert* about us. Sky Sports are there. JJ and Kealia Watt are there. Dude Perfect are there.

Unfortunately, so are Manchester City. 3-1 loss it is.

* A mildly amusing joke stretched out to twice the length it could stand

Bala Town v Barry Town on Saturday. My second new ground in a few days although Maes Tegid will be a bit different to Elland Road.

No midweek plans.
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 11-08-2023, 09:46.

Comment

Undoubtedly showing my age but I don't know who any of the people are that Snake refers to in the OP.

I'll be spending my Saturday afternoon watching Bootle v Newcastle Town in the NPL 1W.

Comment

I'm equally bemused about the list of names in our leader's opening post. Nothing for me this weekend as I'm at a family event that I'm not entirely enthusiastic about attending. There won't be a report unless something spectacular happens. Hoping to get somewhere midweek.
        Last edited by Capybara; 11-08-2023, 09:42.

Comment

We have our first Saturday home game tomorrow. V exciting. We've not played Wrexham for a few years now, I imagine they will be a fairly different proposition.

Comment

Parkgate have made a strong start to the season so me turning up should put a stop to that. Clay Cross Town away tomorrow which will be a new ground followed by Retford home on Tuesday.

Comment

Lincoln v Wycombe. First home game of the season and my first game.

Comment

Is Olly Palmer still in the Wrexham side, now they've bought all the other strikers in the world?

Comment

I recognise the Bill Hicks reference in the thread title, and I've heard of Sky Sports, but clueless about the rest of the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                    Is Olly Palmer still in the Wrexham side, now they've bought all the other strikers in the world?
                    Played the last half hour against MK last week and got an assist.

Comment

Coventry Vs Boro - funny enough the last game at the CBS was Coventry Vs Boro

Comment

JJ and Kealia Watt - minority investors. JJ is an ex-NFL player, apparent Hall of Famer. Kealia Watt, player for the USWNT. Beyond that, I know nothing.

Dude Perfect - minority investors. 5 blokes who run the 27th most popular YouTube channel in the world. Beyond that, I know nothing.

Manchester City - plucky hapless underdogs forever tripping up over their own laces who (according to their manager) can barely scrimp together a team most weeks.

Comment

Dumbarton v Spartans tomorrow.

1-1 away to Bonnyrigg last Saturday was a touch disappointing. Sons fans will tell you that we're not likely to be title winners this season and then that we should have beaten Bonnyrigg because that should be our level of expectation. New Dundas Park is a tough place to play football because of their slope. Its not a ground that's suited to a passing game and Stevie Farrell has shown an intention to play far more attacking football in 23/24. A better indication should be tomorrow's home game against the league's newbies.

We've got the previously suspended Blair Malcolm and injured Kalvin Orsi available for selection, but Ryan Wallace remains absent as he's on his honeymoon. We also have 2 injured players who won't be back tomorrow. That should give us a strong squad to select from. Michael Ruth has played well up front without being rewarded with goals and thats been a concern of ours for a few years now. We've struggled for a consistent double figure goal scorer for some time. Ruth may not be that player, but hopefully he gets a couple early in the season and it gives him some confidence,

Spartans could be absolutely anything. 1-1 in their opening game against a Clyde team many are tipping to struggle this season doesnt really tell us much. Their league cup group stage performance saw them win 2 games (against Dundee United and Peterhead) and that's similar to our results against Caley Thistle and Bonnyrigg. So on form lines over the summer then this one probably should be close. Any kind of win and I'll be happy, but it would be nice to see the kind of ambitious, attacking football that Stevie Farrell has spoken about playing this time.

Comment

Sunday's opener against a Kane-less Spurs gives me the chance to tick off a new ground on Saturday. I'm thinking about doing Rusthall v Lordswood in the SCEFL Premier.

Heading back to Nottingham on Monday possibly via Aveley v Eastbourne Borough.

Then Ilkeston v Gainsborough Trinity on Tuesday and Hucknall Town v Sherwood Colliery on Wednesday.

That would be 5 games in 5 days which is just daft.

Comment

The England game is very inconveniently timed tomorrow. Depending on whether it holds my attention for the duration I'll be at either Whitworth Valley v Winstanley St Aidans in the Lancashire Amateur League or Droylsden v Cheadle Heath Nomads in the NWCL.

We're off to Scotland on Sunday and while there have been a few additions to Futbology since I first checked none look as appealing as Polok and Arthurlie. My first choice would be Polok but Arthurlie's is the earlier kick off which is likely to be the deciding factor if I'm taking the boy. His condition for accompanying me is, "As long as it's not raining."

Comment

After 3 excruciatingly long months, I return to Whaddon Road tomorrow for the visit of Bolton Wanderers.

In our three previous games at Whaddon Road against them we have lost two and won one. That one came last season and was one of our best performances of the season - it also didn't include Alfie May in the team, so proof that we have won games without him in the team despite what some would have you believe.

With that being said, we've started shockingly slowly already this season and any confidence I had this time last week has already vanished. I suspect we'll lose to 0.

Tuesday I make my first visit to the Madejski Stadium, Reading. I'll report on that closer to the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                  The England game is very inconveniently timed tomorrow. Depending on whether it holds my attention for the duration I'll be at either Whitworth Valley v Winstanley St Aidans in the Lancashire Amateur League or Droylsden v Cheadle Heath Nomads in the NWCL.

We're off to Scotland on Sunday and while there have been a few additions to Futbology since I first checked none look as appealing as Polok and Arthurlie. My first choice would be Polok but Arthurlie's is the earlier kick off which is likely to be the deciding factor if I'm taking the boy. His condition for accompanying me is, "As long as it's not raining."
                                  Newlandsfield is a far better ground than Arthurlie's home, so I'd recommend a trip to see the Lok.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    We have our first Saturday home game tomorrow. V exciting. We've not played Wrexham for a few years now, I imagine they will be a fairly different proposition.
                                    I was trying to work out when the last Wimbledon v Wrexham football league fixture took place and I don't think there's been one, During Wimbledon's rise up the league they swopped places in the early '80s thanks to Wrexham's relegation.

If you like connections with the Ipcress File, and who doesn't?, Wrexham not only have a Palmer but a Dalby too.
                                    Last edited by Kowalski; 11-08-2023, 14:32.

Comment

11 vs 11 confirms that.

FA Cup meetings in 81 and 98.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post

Newlandsfield is a far better ground than Arthurlie's home, so I'd recommend a trip to see the Lok.
                                        If it's solely down to me that's certainly where I'll be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post

I was trying to work out when the last Wimbledon v Wrexham football league fixture took place and I don't think there's been one, During Wimbledon's rise up the league they swopped places in the early '80s thanks to Wrexham's relegation.

If you like connections with the Ipcress File, and who doesn't?, Wrexham not only have a Palmer but a Dalby too.
                                          Yeah we've played four league games in the Conference and that's it. Other than that it's just the FA Cup - 4th round in 1981 (we lost at Wrexham) and 3rd round in 1998 (we won at Wrexham in a replay).

Oh, like ua said.

In those league games, we've won one, drawn one, lost two.
                                          Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 11-08-2023, 15:02.

Comment

All a bit transport dependent for me this coming week.

I'm deep in Cornwall right now as I had a work thing here tonight. I hope to get back for Wimbledon v Wrexham if holiday traffic allows.

Tuesday night I am going to try and get to The Dons' match at Colchester if trains there and back work out as I'll be going from the office.

If I fail with either I'll probably go to whichever accessible game is the most attractive.

Comment

Leigh v Hull KR at Wember-lee tomorrow. Big day out for the North, etc. Hoping for a cracker. Also hoping, but not expecting, to fit into my beautiful new Trin 1960's classic shirt.

Free Wednesday evening for a game, but may just need to spend a night on the sofa watching Schitt's Creek instead.

Comment

Back in Slovakia, with the delights of MSK ZIlina vs AS Trencin to look forward to later today.

Comment

Heading up to the Edinburgh fringe on Sunday so the thought of a drive south to Cheltenham and back, the day before, wasn't too tempting. Thankfully, a mates offered so I'll be in the away end at Whaddon Rd/Johnny Rocks/Suzuki something arena.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X