My Under 13s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    I used to play on a slope, and found it a lot easier to defend uphill. Teams tended to overhit their passes, and it's a lot easier to turn and chase a ball over the top when you're running downhill.
    St Albans City have quite a steep hill at Clarence Park which runs from one end to the other and it always used to be the way that they would shoot downhill in the first half if they won the toss (I'm not sure whether this still happens) and it was notable that opposing teams would always opt for it in the second. This was memorable because it meant that we were *always* at the same end in the first half.

I'm really sorry to hear about your cancellationa, Simon. It must be unbelievably frustrating. This season's been a nightmare for that sort of thing. Feels like it's been almost every weekend.

Comment

Part of the reason is the weather and the fact we play at a local school. On Friday, they checked the pitch nearest to the sports centre and deemed all games as unplayable. Our pitch, on the other side of the field was perfectly playable but when the school cancel one they cancel all of them.

As I said though, the problem hasn't been entirely weather based. As I mentioned previously, I was the coach of our Pumas team last season and we were promoted alongside the Panthers. However, in the summer we folded due to lack of players. This was 4 weeks before the start of the season. After we resigned from the League, instead of the fixtures being re-drawn, the league decided just to add another (the League had 9 teams before we folded) bye in. So every week, at least two teams are on a bye week. The team who had the original bye, and the team due to play the Pumas. If they had re-drawn then there would have been no byes whatsoever. We also don't have fixtures arranged for school holidays.

There has been 16 weeks since 11th November. The weeks have gone thus:

18/11 - No game - bye
      25/11 - No game - frozen pitch
      02/12 - No game - frozen pitch
      09/12 - No game - bye
      16/12 - No game - Opposition postponed due to the coach going to a funeral*
      23/12 - No game - Xmas Holidays
      30/12 - No game - Xmas Holidays
      06/01 - No game - waterlogged pitch
      13/01 - No game - bye
      20/01 - No game - frozen pitch
      27/01 - Game - we lost 9-0
      03/02 - Game - we lost 5-0
      10/02 - Game - we lost 9-0
      17/02 - No game - Half term
      24/02 - No game - Half term
      02/03 - No game - waterlogged pitch
      09/03 - No game - bye

For each of the byes (before this week) and the half term games I have attempted to find a friendly. I also tried for the game on 16th December. Unfortunately, things have always conspired against us here as well.

*Whilst I sympathise, I really don't understand this one, I've never known a Saturday funeral (though appreciate they do happen on rare occasions) and the league rules state that postponements must only be for a school trip or unplayable pitch. All teams have at least two coaches, so someone should have been able to take the team. I would have probably had more sympathy if it wasn't the 5th week in a row and I honestly do appreciate how selfish I sound.

Comment

Tewkesbury Town Panthers 0-2 Catshill Owls

A defeat maybe, but I don't think I've ever been so proud of this team. Especially as defeat seemed so harsh.

A couple of cry offs on Saturday morning meant we were down to 13 players, and we were also left with moving players around. Team captain, Oliver J, was forced to move from his normal position of cdm to centre-back and Jack was forced to move inside to centre-back from right back. We were also forced to play Ethan from the start, despite him being injured for the last 6 weeks with a hamstring issue.

Catshill came out of the blocks well but our boys stood firm and rode the early wave. Oliver and Jack were working well as a unit and with Stan and Joshua either side of them, Ollie H in goal didn't have much to do. Annoyingly, Catshill were to go ahead when from a corner Reggie flicked it on. It hit their attacker on the way out for a throw and I flagged for a Tewkesbury throw. Somehow, Chris (joint coach who was reffing) decided not take my advice and gave the throw to Catshill. Catching Stan out on the left, they took it quickly and the ball was whipped in where it was met by their lad at the back post. I was fuming, but I naturally have to be the bigger person in front of the team.

From kickoff, we went straight on the attack and for the next 10 mins or so we dominated play. Isaac smashed one off the bar from the edge of the 18 yard box at a corner and then was the most contentious moment of the game. Stan had marauded forward and just made his way into the box along the by-line. Their defender made no attempt to go for the ball and simply barged Stan over. Chris doesn't give a penalty claiming their lad had won the ball, then proceeds to give a goal kick. Notwithstanding the fact the lad was nowhere near the ball if, as Chris wrongly suggested, he won the ball then it surely must have been a corner? From the goal kick the ball was lumped forward and a speculative shot from about 20 yards out caught Ollie on the hop. It hit his shoulder, looped up and back into the goal. 2-0 and a very harsh half-time scoreline.

At half-time I told the players how proud I was of them and how they need to keep up the level of effort because they weren't out of the game by a long shot. The defence had been outstanding and two lapses had cost us. I also told them that I felt their frustration as well. I then had it out with Chris who's defence for the throw was simply that I was only an advisor as a ref's assistant and his decision is final (I know this to be true, but what's the point of me advising if he's going to ignore it) and the aforementioned issue with the pen. As has been the case many times this season - and part of the reason I think we're struggling - I backed off because I could see I wasn't getting anywhere and a full on row in front of the boys wasn't going to gain anything.

The second half passed by without any real incident. Catshill had one good effort from a corner which went just over and we had a couple of free-kicks, but nothing that you'd consider gilt-edged. Catshill, who had been timewasting since halfway through the first half (yes it has seeped into the kid's game) complained about nearly 7 mins being added on, and Chris had to be replaced for the last 15 mins as he suddenly felt feint (he's fine - low iron and exhaustion from not enough sleep apparently).

We play them away on Saturday - with a full complement of players, we will get our first win of the season, I'm sure of it. A point I made to the boys at training last night.

Player of the Match: Oliver J

Comment

Our return match against the unpleasant team on the cow meadow out of town went reasonably well, though the pitch has got even worse and playing football on it was close to impossible. We conceded our first goals in winning 5-2 when we got lazy in the second half after being 4-0 up at the break. The classic difficult away trip where you're happy just to grab the points. The wanker coach from the previous week thankfully wasn't there, and I've a feeling there might have been a player revolt. Their girls were far chattier at the end of the game when I told them those were the first goals we'd conceded for months, and that they'd been the better team in the second half. (I didn't add, 'albeit on a fucking cow field').

On Sunday we had the return match against our own second team, still top of the table by a point by virtue of our two 0-0 draws. Again we dominated, again we won 2-0 in a really hard fought game, so now the title's ours to lose when we play the last four games after Easter. Here's the league table. There was a bit of needle between our striker (who scored the second goal with a header - only our second ever headed goal) and our opponent's centre back and captain, a girl I coached when I started the first girls' team five years ago. Still sorting that out with their two coaches, who don't seem keen to talk to her about firing off on-field insults. My player said to me last night at training, "She goes to my school. I just don't like her. Never did. That's how I am - I either like people or I don't." I said that maybe next season or the season after they'd be on the same team. "Then I'd probably move clubs," she said. And what if you get to a new club and find there's someone there you don't like? She conceded that I had a point.

Training was great fun last night, though. We've got the monkey off our back now, twice (avoiding the shame of losing or even dropping points to our own second team), and no games for a few weeks, so everyone was in knockabout mood and we just did ball-related relay races, then had a kick-about. I'm waiting to see if the (uncertified) coaches of the second team ask me for any advice, which would be, "For fuck's sake, try another game plan besides giving it to your centre back to whack it long." That's worked for them against other teams in this league, and they did cause a fair bit of danger for us on Sunday, but we're so used to playing against that style we've pretty much mastered defending it. Also - at training, don't send your girls to run laps, and do something besides shooting practice and then having a game in which you both take part, thus depriving the girls of valuable touches on the ball. If they ask. Okay, I'm probably going to tell them anyway.

Comment

Catshill Owls 1-2 Tewkesbury Town Panthers

I have no idea why it has taken me until today to post this match report, but here we go.

We have finally won a bloody game this season. I said last week that we were unlucky to lose 2-0 and performing in the same manner would benefit us. And so it came to pass. Toby and Alex were back in the lineup, as was Bobbie. Chris and I took charge of the team this week and we reiterated to the boys that as well as we played last week we couldn't expect to just turn up. They had to go out and give their best effort and not to shirk any responsibility.

The boys were outstanding from the first minute. The defence kept their line well, the midfield of Aydan, Alex and Toby were dominant. Catshill tried but their balls over the top were fruitless. Oliver and Bobbie at cb dealt with the forwards and Joshua and Stan kept their wingers quiet. Even more impressive was Ollie H in goal, playing a sweeper keeper role "almost" to perfection. Chances were a little scarce in the first half, but Alex had two chances. The first he took too long to shoot and the keeper smothered him, the second he passed out wide when a shot made more sense. Codie had one opportunity when one on one with their keeper, his dink wasn't quite strong enough to reach the goal though. The breakthrough finally came about 10 mins before half-time though when Ethan (on for Codie) picked up the ball on the right hand edge of the box. He made a beeline for goal and forced a great save from the keeper. Fortunately, the ball fell perfectly for Seb C to tap home and get our first goal in, literally, months.

At half-time we told the boys to not let the effort slip. Keep the lead, but look to add to it as well. Within 30 secs that had gone out of the window. Sweeper Keeper Ollie picked up the ball 5/10 yards outside his area, he then miskicked his clearance straight to the Catshill player who finished superbly in to an empty net from about 25 yards out. Luckily for us, the boys heads didn't drop and within 5 mins a ball over the top was won by Ethan. With the keeper advancing he lobbed it over him and straight into the net. The next 30 mins or so were sheer hell. We were the better team but we couldn't seem to find a third goal. Toby hit the post, their keeper made some fantastic saves, but Catshill were constantly a threat on the counter attack. Oliver J and Stan both forced into a number of last ditch tackles. It got to a point where they were so frustrated that I saw the first yellow card in an under 13 game when their number 6 hacked Stan down after being beaten to the ball by him. 3 mins into injury time, the ref informed us there was 2 mins left. 5 mins later he finally blew his whistle and we had our first win of the season.

The absolute best thing about it - we deserved the win and the boys were all delighted for each other. Even when we were battering teams in the division below last season, I don't think I've ever been so proud of my team. It's just a shame we have a two week break before our next game.

Player of the Match - Stan
            Last edited by Simon G; 27-03-2024, 14:29. Reason: EDIT - added almost to my description of Ollie H's sweeper keeper, bearing in mind his goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
              We haven't played since. As I posted on the matchgoing thread on Friday, we have played 3 games since 11th November. We also don't have a game this week. I'd love to say it's just the weather that's been an issue, but it isn't just that. I'll go into more detail another time, but this season has definitely been my most frustrating as a youth football coach.
              That sucks to hear. I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys your dispatches.

Comment

A couple of updates:

6th April - Leckhampton Rovers Hammers 8-1 Tewkesbury Town Panthers - Friendly

The scoreline really doesn't reflect the game here. We turned up to the game with a bear 11 and Leckhampton were playing some of their other team as they're folding in the summer (a team that happen to be from the division above) so were able to make changes willy-nilly while our boys huffed and puffed. The wind was a massive factor as well. Leckhampton had the wind in the first half and nearly everything they hit went in - it was 5-0 at half-time.

We tried to instill in the boys that they now had the wind and, therefore, the advantage in the second half, but they were exhausted both physically and mentally. When Leckhampton fluked a goal with about 15 mins to go, the heads dropped completely and two more goals were added before the end. At that point, Kayden decided he'd had enough and he forced one over the line as a consolation. The boys weren't too bothered though with it being a friendly, and we all learned a tough lesson in how to handle awful conditions.

Player of the Match - Kayden

13th April - Ambassador Evesham Football League - Group B West - Ashton 88 Hornets 5-0 Tewkesbury Town Panthers

When we played this team at home in November we lost 11-1 and that scoreline flattered us. They absolutely pummelled us and we scored a screamer in the last minute.

This game could not have been more different though (well, it could have if we'd won, but you know...). The boys went at them from the off and refused to sit back. Ashton are 3rd in the league for a reason though and they took the lead on 10 mins when a ball was crossed to the back post and their lad volleyed it fantastically into the roof of the net. The boys didn't mope though and a couple of mins later, Ethan was put through 1 on 1 with their keeper. Unfortunately, he hit it straight at him, but we were showing intent. Annoyingly though a ball over the top saw Ollie H rush out of his box before questioning himself and hesitating - seeing this, the Ashton lad lobbed the ball over him and it was 2-0 against the run of play. The boys came back at them, but again we were caught on the break and Ollie was beaten in a 1 on 1. It was 3-0 at half-time, but the scoreline really didn't reflect the pattern of the game.

Second half was exactly the same as the first, we made all the running, but once we got near the opposition box we seemed to want to take one more touch, or were shooting straight at the keeper. The game seemed to be ending at 3-0 but two late goals really padded the scoreline for Ashton, who knew they'd been in a real game.

Player of the Match - Jack

20th April - Ambassador Evesham Football League - Group B West
                - Droitwich Spa Dynamos 0-1 Tewkesbury Town Panthers

After the Ashton game, I said to the boys that if they were to play the same way in their final two games of the season we will get 6 points and raise ourselves off the bottom of the table. We're still going down, but we could do with avoiding the wooden spoon in what has been a really frustrating season. A couple laughed at me, but I promised them results. On Saturday, we got halfway there after our best performance of the season by far.

The boys have found some confidence. As a coaching unit, we've stumbled across a couple of things which we should have picked up on sooner, but we now have a base in which to build on. Oliver J in defence was a masterstroke, moving Ethan back to CAM has given him a new lease of life (he moves away next month and we are going to miss him so much next season) and Kayden has made the left wing his own.

We dominated the first half and but for some great goalkeeping we could have been 3 or 4-0 up. Instead the only goal scored came when Alex played a corner into the near post and Ethan controlled it brilliantly before swivelling on the spot and lashing it home. Droitwich weren't useless though and tried to catch us on the counter. They were offside a lot, but every now and then they would break through. On one occasion their lad was one on one with Ollie H but a great save and hold from Ollie saw us 1-0 up at half-time.

We were much the better team in the second half as well, but we just couldn't find a way past their keeper who was the best player on the pitch. Whilst it was 1-0 we were always susceptible to the break and Droitwich did get through on more than one occasion. Oliver J and Jack usually coped well and when the ball did beat them though, Ollie H was on hand to sweep up or fall on the ball. As we went into injury time, Droitwich got a free-kick on the edge of the box. Fortunately they hit it straight at Ollie and he fell on it for one final time as we sealed our second win of the season and actually went unbeaten against a team.

We have one game left against Kempsey Colts a week on Saturday. Both teams are on 7 points. It's crazy having something to play for, but pride is something worth playing for.

Player of the Match - To be updated later this evening

Comment

Have your team played out all the games that were missed in November/December Simon?

My son's U-12 team went well over 2 months without a game, and in an attempt to fulfill all outstanding fixtures and avoid the statutory walkover result of 0-3 (and the accompanying fine for failing to play the games) yesterday completed their 8th match in 12 days. (5 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats)

Comment

We have - just the one game nest Saturday against Kempsey. The team we opened our season against.

Our league does this weird thing of mirroring the fixtures, so we play half the season one way, then reverse fixtures in the reverse order that we played the other teams originally (so Catshill should have been home one week then away the following week).

The season was due to end at the beginning of March though - so it shows how badly we were effected.

Comment

Working...
                    X