No announcement yet.

The Daly grind – WSL/women's football 2023/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty of cards, it’s a vey feisty match. One Arsenal player just got yellow for kicking the ball away after a free kick had been awarded to Chelsea. It’s unbelievable how many footballers do that mind-numbingly stupid thing. Young Archie Gray got a yellow for it yesterday at Blackburn and it looked as if Farke gave him quite a talking to about it on the pitch at full time. But he’s only 17 years old.

Comment

Every card fully merited too you have to say.

Goalscorers will always get the Player of the Match awards, understandably, but I'd have given it to Caitlin Foord today – utterly dominant and involved in all of Arsenal's best attacking.

Comment

Very fractured and bitty as a game, particularly in the second half. That would have been a totally different game if they had VAR - Chelsea's equaliser would probably have been ruled out for Kerr's positioning, Arsenal's third would have needed ages for them to draw the lines to decide whether Russo was onside or not, and then James should have been sent off for that, as they said on comms that was deliberate. At least Hayes saw sense and subbed her off to prevent her getting a red. Also enjoyed those Chelsea fans in the tinsel lined hats making wanker gestures at McCabe.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jeffkassouf/status/1735671484343816306?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

So, Chelsea Women broke the world record for a transfer fee for a female player when they signed Mayra Ramirez a few weeks ago. I'm not an avid follower of the women's game but I'm moderately knowledgeable and I'd never even heard of her, though playing for a South American national side and plying her trade in Liga F would have substantially kept her off of my radar.

Anyway, I was watching her at Kingsmeadow yesterday. She's very powerful and scored a terrific goal to win the game, but I was wondering if anyone, Janik perhaps, knew a bit more about her and her career so far?

The goal:

Comment

Sorry, no, nothing helpful to say. She is a new name to me as well.

Comment

Talking about new names and world record transfer fees: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/68282325

Comment

I remember Ramirez looking goid at the world cup, although looking it up looks like she didn't get on the scoresheet

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                    looking goid at the world cup,
                    Fucking Popeye here

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                      I remember Ramirez looking goid at the world cup, although looking it up looks like she didn't get on the scoresheet

Yeah, her goalscoring records at both club and international level are OK but nothing to write home about, but maybe she's got a really good all-round game.

Having said that she's strong and was constantly involved when I saw her on Sunday and will a big success in the WSL, I reckon.

Comment

City take the lead at Chelsea in the first of this weekend's Big Ones in the WSL. They haven't lost yet this season when scoring first...

Comment

I assume the BBC are having some technical problems, because the view from the main camera is like watching the game through the wrong end of a telescope.

Comment

Goalkeeper Taking Throw In Klaxon (Hannah Hampton)

Comment

Meanwhile, more conventionally for the position, an extraordinary double save from the ever increasingly impressive Khiara Keating.

Comment

Amusing and very telling moment in the post-match analysis: Alex Scott asked (recently ex-City) Ellen White to comment on how well Gareth Taylor has done to come back from the pressure and speculation over his job in their recent seasons of comparative lack of success, and Ellen just talked about how well the players had done.

Comment

Along those lines Anita Asante wrote a article recently that was highly critical of supporter/media pressure on managers. Specifically that being directed towards Marc Skinner (Manchester United) rather than Gareth Taylor but very much on, and against, the type of personalised stuff that Taylor has also received:- https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-feelings-too

Asante was using the campaigning to get people sacked thing to also make a wider point about the development of the women’s game, and that it would be very sad if it just mimics the men’s, toxicities and all. I’ve heard that in person with fans at women’s games frustrated that the atmosphere is less aggressive and oppositional between spectators than it is in men’s fixtures. They appeared to be missing the edge (my speculation was they had no real interest in the women’s game, would much rather have been at a men’s one, but the women’s tickets were much cheaper...). All of which is leading up to today’s news that all tickets for Celtic fans have been cancelled ahead of a Rangers-Celtic game as it was discovered that a number had been purchased by known ... erm .. “high risk” fans:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68325218

Getting the extra exposure (and associated income) whilst maintaining a separate and more wholesome character is going to be a very hard path to navigate. These issues are so heavily embedded in men’s Football, and that makes what should be a positive - Football is Football, regardless of who is playing it - dangerous.
                                  Last edited by Janik; 18-02-2024, 09:29.

Comment

Arsenal vs Manchester United yesterday was a total sell-out, btw. A shade over 60,000 in attendance. The final tickets went a day or two before the match so not even gaps filled by last minute walk-ups. And just on a standard weekend rather than an men’s international week when Arsenal and Man Utd’s men’s teams are without fixtures.

If crowds like that don’t encourage Arsenal (Chelsea, Man United, Man City...) to play every match at the big stadium, then, well... Of course if those large clubs do play every match at home, in front of large five figure crowds, that is only going to further entrench their dominance. Spots even on a blazing sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      Talking about new names and world record transfer fees: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/68282325

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68488240

The two highest transfer fees in the women's game are for players of a national side ranked 70th in the world. Odd but interesting.

I'm not sure how near we are to seeing two Jordanian players going for more than Neymar's £198m anytime soon.

Comment

Arsenal women's final game of the season, when they could well be in contention for the title, is still scheduled for Boreham Wood. The only explanation I can think of is that Arsenal men are at home the following day (perhaps also with the title at stake), and it's a pitch issue.

Comment

No mention of Sam Kerr's being charged with a racially aggravated assault?

Comment

She called the cop a "stupid white bastard" apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                            X