Roddy Forsyth retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roddy Forsyth retires

Sorry to hear that Roddy is retiring from BBC Radio - a constant presence over the past 40 years and one of the best voices around

Until I saw this on BBC News I'd never even seen a photo of him

Roddy Forsyth: BBC radio broadcaster retires after 40 years - BBC Sport

Was he the last BBC radio link to the days before 5 Live?

For listeners south of the border, he and Archie McPherson were the twin voices of Scottish football since forever. Probably reported on Arbroath beating Bon Accord. I can't remember anyone before them.

(edit: Just looked it up - he was at Ibrox when the 1971 disaster happened, as a spectator, not reporter.)
    Last edited by tee rex; 21-06-2023, 09:03.

Comment

His voice is a thing of beauty. Always a welcome presence on the radio. He must have some incredible stories to tell, I'd wager, too.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
        Sorry to hear that Roddy is retiring from BBC Radio - a constant presence over the past 40 years and one of the best voices around

Until I saw this on BBC News I'd never even seen a photo of him

Roddy Forsyth: BBC radio broadcaster retires after 40 years - BBC Sport
        Sad circumstances, Ian Archer was always my favourite Scottish reporter.

Be interested to see how RF will be remembered in certain quarters.

Hope his Parkinson's can be treated though.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

Sad circumstances, Ian Archer was always my favourite Scottish reporter.

Be interested to see how RF will be remembered in certain quarters.

Hope his Parkinson's can be treated though.
          One of the many frustrations of Parkinson's is that it can flatten and distort your speaking voice. This must be particularly difficult if your work depends so much on being vocally expressive..

Comment

Ah that's a shame. I always liked it when Five Live cut to him for an update on a match in Scotland. He was very good at summing up what was going on in a couple of lines.

Comment

I think he will still get work as a writer, which he does very well. I can't recall who preceded him in the radio role. Ian Robertson and Chris Rea did rugby. Renton Laidlaw golf (Wiki implies Laidlaw died of COVID).
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-06-2023, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
              X