John Hollins RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Hollins RIP

Johnny Hollins has passed. An unusually clean-living fresh-faced ex-pro from the '60s who looked like he'd live on into ripe old age but sadly not.

Always liked Holly. Surrey lad and a good, honest footballer. Ton of games and a good goal haul too, though only one England cap.

Ah, RIP. He's one of those, for me being of a very particular vintage, that I associate with one club (Arsenal) and so when people are describing him as a 'Chelsea legend' I get confused.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 14-06-2023, 13:13.

Comment

I'd forgotten he played for Arsenal to be honest. But, yeah, he always seemed a decent sort and 76 isn't a great age these days. His brother Dave played for Wales.

Comment

I mainly associate him with that mid-70s QPR side, which is when I was getting into football.

Comment

According to Wiki he "made a total of 714 First Division appearances, an English top division record for an outfield player and second only to goalkeeper Peter Shilton."

He "played 939 first-class matches in total."

Some going.

Comment

And, of course, I have to post his 1971 Goal of the Season (I think):

Comment

Sad news indeed. Equally at home in defence or midfield and a really good player.

Comment

RIP. Good footballer who had new lease of life at QPR. A one cap player, I believe, with the extra quirk that his brother Dave had caps for Wales.

Comment

Ah, that's sad. Though I must admit if forced to guess I would have said he had already passed and/or was a lot older than 76.

I was just going to mention Dave's appearances in goal for Wales too, as he was born there when their dad played in goal for Bangor City.

The phrase "Judgement Day not changing Johnny Hollins' luck there..." has become family shorthand between my brothers and I after the line in sketch show 'Who Dares Wins' where the football results interrupt news coverage of the end of the world.

Comment

He'll always be remembered fondly at Rochdale. Managed the club for half a season and took us to the play offs for the first time with what admittedly was Steve Parkin's team. Gave Paddy McCourt his first League start too.

Comment

Very sad, along with the breaking news that Gordon McQueen has passed at 70…

Comment

Being an oldie, I always thought it was weird seeing Hollins in an Arsenal shirt, he was always Chelsea. Like Hudson, weird seeing him in a Stoke City shirt or Osgood in a So'ton shirt.

Comment

Working...
                        X