Poste traumatic stress - managerial comings and goings 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poste traumatic stress - managerial comings and goings 2023-24

The old season has ended but the merry-go-round will keep on spinning. Spurs have their new manager in place for the new season, or maybe just a part of it, having signed up Ange Postecoglou from Celtic.

Russell Martin still hasn't moved to Southampton, apparently the sticking point is compensation. It's £1.75m for a Premier League club and £1.25 for a Championship club, Southampton are trying to pay the lower end even though they were still in the top flight.

Comment

The latter does seem a bit on the cheap side.

Comment

Although it's assumed Shrewsbury Town are without a manager, there has been no official announcement by the club. Or AFAIK by Steve Cotterill either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          The old season has ended but the merry-go-round will keep on spinning. Spurs have their new manager in place for the new season, or maybe just a part of it, having signed up Ange Postecoglou from Celtic.
          As a Tottenham follower, I'm actually quite excited by this appointment. If only because he seems like an absolutely brilliant bloke.

Comment

Let's perhaps make him the first Spurs manager since Poch to last a complete season.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
              Russell Martin still hasn't moved to Southampton, apparently the sticking point is compensation. It's £1.75m for a Premier League club and £1.25 for a Championship club, Southampton are trying to pay the lower end even though they were still in the top flight.
              Presumably there is a date this summer when Southampton officially become a Championship club instead of a Premier League one, but it feels quite counter-productive for the club to wait for this for the sake of £500k.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                I wonder if Celtic will ask Brendan to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

As a Tottenham follower, I'm actually quite excited by this appointment. If only because he seems like an absolutely brilliant bloke.
                  I have absolutely no love for Celtic, but one of the few predictions about football I've ever got right was that he'd be a big success there. His record as a coach is really excellent. The problem is that so many people have spent years with Sky Sports telling them that anything that isn't 'THE PREM' or the Champions League is a farmers' league and can't be taken seriously.

Ange has a tremendous record of turning round struggling clubs, and he's won the league in almost every job he's had, with Celtic being the only time he's had a notable financial advantage in doing so. He even won a trophy with Australia. He's really an excellent coach.

The Celtic job had the profile to get him the Spurs job, but in reality, being Celtic coach is the easiest job he's ever had. His general body of work is far more impressive.

The issue is that he usually takes a year to get his team playing the way he wants. That's the general pattern, and success follows. I was concerned that he might not get the time he needed at Celtic, but they had enough money to speed up the process. Obviously, Spurs don't have an advantage like that, so I hope they give him the time and he gets a good shot at it.
                  Last edited by MyPieBurntMyMouth; 06-06-2023, 09:58.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

Presumably there is a date this summer when Southampton officially become a Championship club instead of a Premier League one, but it feels quite counter-productive for the club to wait for this for the sake of £500k.
                    Sometime around 8th June, I think.

Comment

Ah this has got me in a bind: I'd really like to see Big Ange succeed, but that entails Tottenham succeeding. He's a good fit for them I think, though his teams aren't the greatest, defensively, from what I've seen. He did get Celtic playing very attractive football mind

Comment

This has been doing the rounds. Pretty impressive (especially for a pre-lunch speech).

https://twitter.com/bankruptspurs/status/1665434593439150080

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Let's perhaps make him the first Spurs manager since Poch to last a complete season.
                          I've already seen a tweet predicting he'll be sacked in November.

Comment

I think I've seen about thirty.

Comment

Exactly the same as when he went to Celtic.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Although it's assumed Shrewsbury Town are without a manager, there has been no official announcement by the club. Or AFAIK by Steve Cotterill either.
                                Announced now, the statement sounds like Steve Cotterill resigned. No word about when they expect to hire a new manager.

Comment

generally pleased with this. Nice that he doesn't come with the rep that he thinks he's bigger than the club. we need managers who are trying to make their reputation.

at least the footie won't be drab.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

Announced now, the statement sounds like Steve Cotterill resigned. No word about when they expect to hire a new manager.
                                    https://twitter.com/LMA_Managers/status/1666112985377521664?t=tZYKekABjShSShN6Js4e9g&s=19

Comment

The official club statement is, to say the least, curt.

Comment

Yep. The club is frugal with words as well.

Back to Postecoglu, the real life Banter Betz are cracking wise about he has decided to retire from winning trophies by joining Spurs.

Comment

Postegoglu benefited from Rangers disintegrating in his first season. Rangers were champions and started the season well, beating Celtic in their first encounter and sitting top of the league until Christmas. Behind the scenes all wasn't well though and Gerrard's departure, along with the entire backroom staff, in November unsettled the team. Celtic still had to take advantage of it of course, and they did that so deserve credit for it. Despite almost complete success domestically (Celtic were poor in Europe) he was surprisingly thin skinned at times. I've no idea how he'll do at Spurs, it's a huge jump in terms of league standard but paradoxically I don't think he'll be under as much pressure at Spurs, at least initially. Biggest compliment I can pay him is I'm glad he's left.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                            The official club statement is, to say the least, curt.
                                            I think communications officer for Shrewsbury Town is a job I could do better than the current setup in about 30 minutes a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                              generally pleased with this. Nice that he doesn't come with the rep that he thinks he's bigger than the club. we need managers who are trying to make their reputation.

at least the footie won't be drab.
                                              This is what baffled me about Conte. Back end of 2021-22, he had Spurs playing free-flowing football, scoring for fun and qualifying for the ECL. With by-and-large the same squad, I'm not sure why the system became so different and negative - and ineffective - last season.

Oh well, past caring now. Let's see what the big fella can do.

Comment

I've noted this on the Welsh Football Thread but in the Welsh third tier, Treharris Athletic Western have parted company with their manager and assistant manager. The rumour I've heard from someone with links to Treharris is that they may be heading to Cardiff Draconians
                                                Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 09-06-2023, 21:02.

Comment

Clayton Donaldson gets his first headship (combined with still playing a bit) at Farsley, with a nice salty swipe from the club at the LMA for holding up the process, which means there's another member of the management team who can't currently be named. Hopefully the first step in a successful managerial career for Clayton, who's always seemed like a decent chap.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X