Matchgoing 19th-25th May: it ain't over til its over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matchgoing 19th-25th May: it ain't over til its over

Most leagues are already finished, playoffs underway but I could still suffer as many as 5 (five) more relegation deciders...

So all the more reason to lance the boil and finally, finally* visit the Macaroni stadium on Saturday. Livingston have been losing consistently since the bottom half split, but we hate plastic pitches and will surely find a way to lose there as usual.

*Some may recall a visit in Feb when I got to the bus terminal to find out about a last-minute postponement.

Who else isn't yet on the beach?

Planning to go to Builth Wells v Dolgellau in Ardal North East, followed by the Central Wales League Cup final at Caersws.

Comment

Annan 3-1 Clyde, SPFL League One Play-off final 1st leg, 16/5/23.

Oh dear, oh dear. Looks like it's curtains for the Bully Wee.

A frustrating night as Clyde show flashes of good play by keeping the ball on the ground, but too often go long, a ploy that never worked or looked like working all night.

Nothing in the game till Annan went 2-1 up with a goal that should probably have been a free-kick to Clyde, but that gave them a real spring in their step and they were the better side after it.

I don't think Clyde have won by more than one goal since August, so it's looking like Annan will be going up and Clyde heading to League Two next season. 'Highlight' a nearby car catching fire (being set on fire?) in the second half in a nice metaphor for Clyde's season.

Apparently the Clyde team bus was bricked too. Some night all round.
      Attached Files

Comment

In the latest edition of "Phrases MrLeam thought he'd never have to type", my plans have been derailed by the general sale tickets for Albion Rovers vs Spartans selling out in eight minutes.

Probably head to Shotts Bon Accord vs Drumchapel instead on Saturday, with Sunday likely to be Boroughmuir Thistle Women against someone.

Comment

Off to Donny on Saturday night for Maltby Main v Emley in the county cup final. Absolutely ridiculous scheduling - the county FA have been told in previous years by both clubs and leagues that they shouldn't be playing this game this deep into May, for whatever reason they've chosen to ignore this. Maltby haven't played since they finished their league season six weeks ago. Anyway assuming The Miracle Of Hillsborough doesn't happen tomorrow night then this will be the last game of my season.

Comment

Carlisle v Bradford on Saturday afternoon. Hoping for more efforts on target from the home team or this will be my last match of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
              In the latest edition of "Phrases MrLeam thought he'd never have to type", my plans have been derailed by the general sale tickets for Albion Rovers vs Spartans selling out in eight minutes.

Probably head to Shotts Bon Accord vs Drumchapel instead on Saturday, with Sunday likely to be Boroughmuir Thistle Women against someone.
              MrL. If you’re really desperate you’ll pick one up just before kickoff. I’ve managed to miss out so fuck ‘em.

Comment

Probably the last game of the season for me so I've picked a special one - Salts FC v Rothwell Juniors. Not only will the home side be hoping to celebrate their centenary in style, by not finishing bottom of West Yorkshire League Division 2, the game is also a chance to visit the ground once graced by McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt et al in the famous red and white stripes of Barnstoneworth United.

The last time I visited Saltaire - the model village founded by industrialist and philanthropist, Titus Salt on the banks of the Rive Aire near Bradford - it was with a screaming toddler in tow who made it quite clear that she had no interest whatever in Victorian industrial history, so this time I'll be taking the opportunity to have a good mooch around at my leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by MyPieBurntMyMouth View Post

A frustrating night as Clyde show flashes of good play by keeping the ball on the ground, but too often go long, a ploy that never worked or looked like working all night.

Nothing in the game till Annan went 2-1 up with a goal that should probably have been a free-kick to Clyde, but that gave them a real spring in their step and they were the better side after it.

I don't think Clyde have won by more than one goal since August, so it's looking like Annan will be going up and Clyde heading to League Two next season. 'Highlight' a nearby car catching fire (being set on fire?) in the second half in a nice metaphor for Clyde's season.

Think you've been understandably thrown by the earlier than usual appearance of the forthcoming week's matchgoing thread.

Comment

I'm having a very quiet weekend as the last couple have been daft. My only likely game is Pitshanger Dynamo v OIR (a London Somalian club) in the eleventh tier Middlesex County Premier as they finish off its remaining fixtures with all promotion and relegation issues already resolved.

Comment

I was looking into the logistics of getting to that game.

Comment

Saturday will probably be Cardiff Draconians v Port Talbot Town in the Ardal South West. It will be my fifth Dracs game in 3 weeks. I'm kind of invested now. It's their penultimate game of the season with their final game on the 27th.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          I was looking into the logistics of getting to that game.
                          Apart from noting that it's at the Brentham Club rather than Hanwell Town's ground where I believe they have previously shared I can't offer any advice. I'm just going to shoot off if my son's rowing final finishes early enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            Saturday will probably be Cardiff Draconians v Port Talbot Town in the Ardal South West. It will be my fifth Dracs game in 3 weeks. I'm kind of invested now. It's their penultimate game of the season with their final game on the 27th.
                            Do they have much chance of staying up?

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                              Carlisle v Bradford on Saturday afternoon. Hoping for more efforts on target from the home team or this will be my last match of the season.
                              I'm hoping for for less or same shots otherwise I have already attended my last game unless you count...

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                Probably the last game of the season for me so I've picked a special one - Salts FC v Rothwell Juniors. Not only will the home side be hoping to celebrate their centenary in style, by not finishing bottom of West Yorkshire League Division 2, the game is also a chance to visit the ground once graced by McIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt et al in the famous red and white stripes of Barnstoneworth United.

The last time I visited Saltaire - the model village founded by industrialist and philanthropist, Titus Salt on the banks of the Rive Aire near Bradford - it was with a screaming toddler in tow who made it quite clear that she had no interest whatever in Victorian industrial history, so this time I'll be taking the opportunity to have a good mooch around at my leisure.
                                I coach my son in the Salts U17 team, and there's two games left. Away on Saturday at Farsley Celtic and home next Wednesday against Sutton.

Home being in Cottingley rather than the Salts pitch sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Do they have much chance of staying up?
                                  Yes. They are 1 point behind Cwmamman United who are the only team they can catch. Both teams have two games left and they play each other in the final game of the season.

However they could both be overtaken by Garden Village who are 3 points off safety but have 3 games left.

One good thing is that Dracs have a much better goal difference.

Comment

Think you've been understandably thrown by the earlier than usual appearance of the forthcoming week's matchgoing thread.
                                    Indeed. I was hoping to get in early tomorrow with Ripping Yarns.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post

I coach my son in the Salts U17 team, and there's two games left. Away on Saturday at Farsley Celtic and home next Wednesday against Sutton.

Home being in Cottingley rather than the Salts pitch sadly
                                      I hope they're having a better season than the men. There was talk on their Twitter feed of them facing relegation but I'm not sure where they think they'd be relegated to as there are only reserves leagues below them.

Comment

Originally posted by MyPieBurntMyMouth View Post

My apologies for starting the next week thread too soon. Occasioned by securing my ticket and train fare (we love you Lumo, we do... )

Interested in the bus bricking- as I commented on the ugly sisters thread, Annan may have to address/get used to more than a handful of benign away fans showing up...

Comment

All things working out, its my fourth to last trip for the book this weekend, with games in Swizerland, France and Germany hopefully beckoning. I'm loathe to list them yet as when you do the lower league stuff there's always the risk of a postponement - attempts to do Level 3 in Moldova and Level 7 in Sweden failing due to last minute postponements will always rankle - but if things do work out i'll report back. I do love the post end of English season stage of the season, no worries about checking on domestic scores and when you get lucky, getting to see a random game where something magical happens in that club's history like a promotion is pretty special, not that any of my ones this weekend are likely to produce that.

In other news, I love that Cymru football app that Patrick Thistle screenshot is nabbed from, if I wasn't travelling abroad I'd be cruising it for a game over there.

Comment

Originally posted by super furry dice View Post

In other news, I love that Cymru football app that Patrick Thistle screenshot is nabbed from, if I wasn't travelling abroad I'd be cruising it for a game over there.
                                            If you are heading this way ever let me know

There's a standing invitation for any OTFer who wants to come to a Barry Town game
                                            Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 18-05-2023, 06:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

If you see heading this way ever let me know

There's a standing invitation for any OTFer who wants to come to a Barry Town game
                                              I will do. Barry Town have long been on the list, ever since the days of Ken Brown junior (ex Argyle). I've no excuse of not making it over really so I'll aim for next season.

Comment

Apart from noting that it's at the Brentham Club rather than Hanwell Town's ground where I believe they have previously shared
                                                Thanks for the head's up. I probably won't make it, as I've been informed that it's a dancing night...

Comment

Kickers Offenbach 2-1 Bahlinger SC
                                                  Regionalliga Südwest

I don’t know how Offenbach won this. The club has the look of one at least two divisions higher. A big new(ish) stadium holding over 20,000, special ‘buses to take you to and from the ground, and a kombi-ticket that allowed me to spend the afternoon exploring Frankfurt’s excellent transport system had I fancied it. You don’t get that at Worms. Entrance prices to match as well, although they top the attendance statistics in the division, averaging almost 6,000 at each home game. They have seen better times of course, but in footballing terms they are currently mid-table at this level as were their opponents from a stop on the Freiburg S-bahn. Bahlinger took the lead after 14 minutes with an unmarked header from a corner and proceeded to defend their lead for the rest of the half with little difficulty. Offenbach failed to trouble the goalkeeper with such chances as they were able to create, with their number 13, Lucas Hermes, in particular seemingly unable to deliver, ho-ho. The crowd were silent after the first 20 minutes to the extent that I thought there might be some sort of protest going on. When, right at the start of the second half, Offenbach created a chance only to hit the post twice when it looked far easier to score, those around me just laughed. But the team kept going and after 56 minutes got the equaliser with a pass into the box and a decent left-foot shot which was, at last, on target. Then, with 80 minutes gone, a run into the box produced a save from the visiting ‘keeper but he lost control of the ball and it was dispatched into the net for the winner. There was a decent programme on sale for 1 euro, a better-produced fanzine for 2 euros and I ended up buying another scarf for the collection. Att: 5178.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X