Theatre of broken dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theatre of broken dreams

Manchester United have sold naming rights for their training ground and kit for a golden pig to AON. No one seems to care. I do, but I'm starting to suspect I'm a little out of touch.

Theatre of broken dreams

I'd care if I held shares in AON, given that it is hard for me to see how this makes economic sense for them.

Though I'm sure that the likes of Man City and PSG are chuffed that there is now yet another "income stream" that can be "benchmarked" for FFP purposes.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Given how training is behind closed doors it really does seem an odd deal. It almost has the feel of the Barcelona UNICEF deal. Readying the fans for stadium naming bit by bit.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

You are a wise man.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Has anyone successfully sold the naming rights for a preexisting stadium in the Premiership? It seems to be something that you're more likely to get away with with a new ground like the emirates, or the etihad

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Hold on, £23 million a year for 8 years? That's fucking insane.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Yeah. Which is why I assume I'm missing something.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Of course the Etihad Stadium was pre-existing. As was st.James@$portsdirect or whatever it's called.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Has anyone successfully sold the naming rights for a preexisting stadium in the Premiership? It seems to be something that you're more likely to get away with with a new ground like the emirates, or the etihad
                  During the kerfuffle about Newcastle changing the name of St James' Park a few years ago, I remember that a naming rights consultant (no, really) was quoted as saying that he would advise his clients not to touch the renaming of an existing ground because of the likely adverse reaction. He even suggested that the better opportunity for positive PR would lie with the next sponsor who could let the name revert to the original. And lo, it came to pass.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

shadsworth cloud wrote: As was st.James@$portsdirect or whatever it's called.
                    I've not managed to have a look at the latest accounts, but by all, uhh, accounts we didn't actually get any money for the renaming.

The Sports Direct bollocks was introduced to "showcase" the idea of stadium naming rights (in case potential sponsors may have been uncertain as to what changing the name of a building may have entailed); Wonga apparently bought the naming rights and used them to change it back to St. James' Park.

It's a load of bollocks.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

AON getting a training shirt deal gets a couple of pars. Throw in training ground and media coverage goes ballistic. Probably made their money back already.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Aye, I ran out and bought some reinsurance consultancy services as soon as I heard.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Probably made their money back already.
                          if a day's worth of mentions across the UK media was worth £180m, i don't think the industry would be in the kind of trouble it's in.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Financial fair play eh, what a load of bollocks.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

This from the journalist Matt Scott:

To get that $30m-a-yr TRAINING-KIT deal into context, Arsenal's £30m kit deal is the second biggest in world club football. (Behind United.)
                              Bonkers. I'd ban everything but shirt sponsorship if I could.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

Why stop there? I'd certainly ban shirt sponsorships if I could.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

I'd start with banning shirt sponsorship.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

jw wrote:
                                    Originally posted by shadsworth cloud
                                    As was st.James@$portsdirect or whatever it's called.
                                    I've not managed to have a look at the latest accounts, but by all, uhh, accounts we didn't actually get any money for the renaming.

The Sports Direct bollocks was introduced to "showcase" the idea of stadium naming rights (in case potential sponsors may have been uncertain as to what changing the name of a building may have entailed); Wonga apparently bought the naming rights and used them to change it back to St. James' Park.

It's a load of bollocks.
                                    I wouldn't be surprised to see something where the sponsor's name follows the stadium name--something like Old Trafford presented by AON.

Comment

Theatre of broken dreams

I'd ban shirt sponsorship. I blame that for Cardiff City's demise.

That and Thatcher

Comment

Working...
                                      X