No announcement yet.

Just Like Devon - Division Three 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our away form has collapsed and, not just that but consecutive drubbings too. Our next three games are against teams currently in the bottom five. If we don't max that I think we're in trouble.

Comment

Wow - I don't know where to start for today....

- We scored from a corner
      - Alfie May scored a volley from near the halfway line
      - We then scored from a throw-in - Alfie May scoring a volley from the edge of the box
      - We scored 3 goals
      - We won away on a Saturday
      - We've now kept 14 clean sheets!!
      - Oh yeah, we beat Peterborough 3-0 and are now 7 points clear of relegation.

Comment

Although they beat Shrewsbury on Tuesday, I didn't think that much of Peterborough. Wouldn't have expected Cheltenham to win though.

Shrewsbury won their 5th home game in a row. Their run in looks tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          Our away form has collapsed and, not just that but consecutive drubbings too. Our next three games are against teams currently in the bottom five. If we don't max that I think we're in trouble.
          The timing of this fixture was good for Barnsley because, for most the season, we've been nowhere near Plymouth's quality but suddenly we are on a roll despite it perhaps flattering how good we really are (as Billy Casper has noted). I'd be amazed if we swapped places in the table and even more amazed if we had a better chance than Plymouth of surviving in the second tier.

Similarly, if we met in the play-offs, I'd expect the quality side to prevail, which is not Barnsley.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is Oxford's worst sequence of results (1 point from 10 games) since I started supporting them. Might even be the worst in their league history, though I haven't checked back.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

The timing of this fixture was good for Barnsley because, for most the season, we've been nowhere near Plymouth's quality but suddenly we are on a roll despite it perhaps flattering how good we really are (as Billy Casper has noted). I'd be amazed if we swapped places in the table and even more amazed if we had a better chance than Plymouth of surviving in the second tier.

Similarly, if we met in the play-offs, I'd expect the quality side to prevail, which is not Barnsley.
              I thought Barnsley were one of the best sides I've seen play Oxford this season. Looked to have very good quality on the ball, and completely outplayed us - I know that's not saying much, but most times we come away from matches thinking "that lot weren't much good, but they still beat us". Not so for Barnsley.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                I'm pretty sure this is Oxford's worst sequence of results (1 point from 10 games) since I started supporting them. Might even be the worst in their league history, though I haven't checked back.
                Surely you must have had sequences in 2000/01 which were worse?

Comment

Although now I think of it, the only worse sequence would be 10 consecutive losses

Comment

Forest Green look relegated in all but maths now

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Forest Green look relegated in all but maths now
                      Ferguson appears to have had very little impact sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post

Surely you must have had sequences in 2000/01 which were worse?
                        Our worst sequence in that season was 1 point from 9 games, which we'd equalled before yesterday's loss. (We also had a separate sequence of 2 points from 9 games in that season.)
                        Last edited by Jimski; 12-03-2023, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post

I thought Barnsley were one of the best sides I've seen play Oxford this season. Looked to have very good quality on the ball, and completely outplayed us - I know that's not saying much, but most times we come away from matches thinking "that lot weren't much good, but they still beat us". Not so for Barnsley.
                          I have to say I'm slowly coming around to the idea that we're actually decent (ten games unbeaten with eight wins, or something similar).

Plymouth were a lot better than us in the opening match of the season but on yesterday's showing we've caught them up. We play the already promoted (as champions with record points) Owls next Tuesday, and if we perform well in that then promotion becomes even more realistic.

Both Barnsley and Plymouth would both struggle in the second tier next season obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Gas In Name Only View Post

Ferguson appears to have had very little impact sadly
                            Sarcasm?

The only sad thing is that he won't be around to take them back to non-league

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

Sarcasm?

The only sad thing is that he won't be around to take them back to non-league
                              Not at all. Don't like FGR but I'm an Evertonian so very fond of Fergie and wish him well

Comment

Shrewsbury v Bristol Rovers a week tomorrow cancelled because Rovers have 3 international call ups.

Comment

Very very worried now. I was stomping round the local woods with my four year old and every time I refreshed the score I expected to see 1-1. Eventually it happened.

Having the Cheltenham game postponed certainly sets up the end of the season nicely, but how we're going to get any points before the last three fixtures, I'm really not sure.

Comment

Yeah, apparently Oxford have kept just 4 clean sheets in their last 50 league games. Pretty unbelievable really.

Comment

Come on guys we got a point today. Only done that once in the last 9 (?) games.

And we're now unbeaten with Liam Manning as head coach.

Comment

Shrewsbury's very faint play-off push well and truly over.

Not because Ipswich beat us 2-0 today, but because Tom Bayliss in out for the rest of the season with an Ankle Ligament injury.

That's two ACLs and Ankle Ligaments that need reconstruction in one season.

Don't think I've seen this number of this level of injury at the Cub before.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          Come on guys we got a point today. Only done that once in the last 9 (?) games.

And we're now unbeaten with Liam Manning as head coach.
                                          There are a few on the Oxford forum already questioning him. Which seems pretty ridiculous obviously. Shows how toxic things have got with some of our fans though.

Comment

Forest Green are bad. Very, very bad.

I don't know how many games I've seen at Home Park but they are possibly the worst visitors ever.

Comment

After Cheltenham's great 3-1 win over Exeter yesterday, I got to go on the My New Football Club podcast this morning. It was good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                                With Sheffield Wednesday largely accepted as champions in waiting,
                                                I wouldn't be so sure about this given recent form. Games in hand, yes, but you hsve to win them.

Comment

Watched Barnsley - Wednesday on telly. It was a cracker.

Quality varied, but intense. Looked like the sort of game that you remember for a long time if you were there? Billy Casper

Owls will doubtless be pissed off at losing top spot and that unbeaten streak, but they'll take it out on FGR at the weekend and I still think they're going up. Their run-in looks very manageable. Until the last day (Derby, at home), their hardest fixture on paper is coming to our place. Ipswich play Derby too, but they also have Peterborough, Wycombe and Barnsley.

I don't think Barnsley will care who they're playing at the moment, will they? I said I thought they were a decent shout for third, but I haven't seen Ipswich for a bit.

I'm shite at predictions, but I just have this horrible feeling that Peterborough, Wycombe or Portsmouth will sneak 6th and go up, because the universe hates me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I wouldn't be so sure about this given recent form. Games in hand, yes, but you hsve to win them.
                                                    Recent form meaning the last two games? Until last night we'd been on an unbeaten run of 23(? - something like that) games and before last Friday we'd taken 28 points from the previous 10 games. (Some table I saw had us with the best form of any league team in Europe, just ahead of Burnley). While I absolutely agree that games in hand mean nothing and of course last night's result (and defensive performance) gives me cause for concern (and my naturally pessimistic nature means I assume we'll not go up), I think to suggest that we're on a bad run of form is so short term as to be ludicrous.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X