No announcement yet.

Evans to Betsy - managerial comings and goings 2022/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally I'd have some sympathy for them, but their mismanagement has been because they've spent £500m of dodgily sourced money, not because they've never had a pot to piss in. The narrative was that last season they stayed up due to the fans making Goodison a cauldron. Them staying outside the opposition hotels setting off fireworks and blocking away coaches trying to get to the ground seems to be quietly ignored. Their current plight is (probably rightly) blamed on the absence of Richarlison, but far be it from me to point out that in a typical case of PL cowardice he got a two game ban for throwing a flare back into the crowd in the off season after he had scored the goals to keep them up. The stuff about FFP seemed to get shelved over the summer too.

Of course, that's just me being bitter.

(If I was going to go full tinfoil hat, I'd say that the Dwight McNeil money was to keep quiet about FFP. Even at the time I thought that £20mn was a ludicrous price tag.)

Comment

Having seen Everton wriggle out of what feels like 20 - but is probably 3/4 - relegation scraps, it just feels as though it's their time.
      Just go towards the light, man, stop holding on.

Comment

Oxford lose 2-0 away to Burton and the anti Karl Robinson chants grow louder

Comment

I think Dyche could keep Everton up, but their players look utterly demoralised.

Comment

Jimmy Dean is the new manager of Scunthorpe, having been acquired from Peterborough Sports, where he apparently has built a decent reputation. Assisted by (ex QPR and Peterborough defender) Chris Plummer, giving Glanford Park a Hollywood double. Previous interim Michael Nelson remains as head coach.

Primary task is to avoid a derby with his old club next season, because Peterborough Sports are in the National League North for some reason.

Comment

Come back to the 5 & dime

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post
                I think Dyche could keep Everton up, but their players look utterly demoralised.
                Every Everton manager keeps them up. They have spent 4 seasons outside the top flight since 1888. The quiz question is which managers didnt. And as we going back to early 1950s as last time it unlikely anyone witnessed it or will know without googling it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                  Primary task is to avoid a derby with his old club next season, because Peterborough Sports are in the National League North for some reason.
                  Because they've a Chairman (Grant Biddle) propping them up financially. That can only last so long, especially on attendances of under 250.

Comment

Jimmy Dean is the new manager of Scunthorpe, having been acquired from Peterborough Sports, where he apparently has built a decent reputation. Assisted by (ex QPR and Peterborough defender) Chris Plummer, giving Glanford Park a Hollywood double. Previous interim Michael Nelson remains as head coach.
                    Are 'manager' and 'head coach' not essentially at the same level? Interested to know what the division of duties will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                      Oxford lose 2-0 away to Burton and the anti Karl Robinson chants grow louder
                      Yeah, not sure he's gonna make it to 5 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post

Are 'manager' and 'head coach' not essentially at the same level? Interested to know what the division of duties will be.
                        I presume Nelson is being kept on for a bit of continuity, and as a reward for doing his best in trying circumstances. I expect he'll shuffle off once the new men have settled in, or once he finds something elsewhere.

Comment

Jimmy Dean is the new manager of Scunthorpe
                          Rock on!

Comment

Just thought I'd pop in this thread the slightly bizarre tale of how Mike Thompson, manager of NPL North East side Bridlington Town, walked out of his job yesterday.

Last Saturday (21st), Brid were due to play Cleethorpes Town at home. Decent crowd expected, and with bright skies prevalent in the East Yorkshire riviera, chairman Pete Smurthwaite decided that the pitch didn't warrant an early inspection from a local referee, despite the fact that pretty much every other lower level non league game across the north of England had fallen foul of frozen pitches.

The match referee shows up, asks why a local ref hasn't inspected the pitch, does his own inspection and despite there being an area of concern in one corner of the pitch, declares it fit for play at 1:30. An hour later, with the crowd building and the players warming up the ref does another inspection, has a change of heart and declares the game off.

The following day, things took a turn for the utterly bizarre.

Smurthwaite posted a long winded rant of a statement on the club website (unfortunately now deleted) basically blaming everyone for the farcical abandonment except himself. As well as using the sort of language you'd expect from an 'old school' club chairman (the phrase 'i possess a degree in footballing common sense' was used), he targeted some of his squad by accusing them of being more bothered about 'birthday cake and Moretti than what I pay them for'. Later that evening, Thompson tweets that he'd have to 'take stock' after having player professionalism questioned. Having only avoided relegation through a 95th minute penalty last season, Thompson had them playing better football and they came within a whisker of winning away at runaway league leaders Worksop Town a couple of weeks ago. After a week of near silence and a 2-0 defeat at Hebburn Town on Saturday, Thompson walked yesterday. Rumours abound that several players will follow very shortly.

Here at North Ferriby we're well aware of Smurthwaite and his weird antics. He accused the club of stealing fans from Brid (despite them being 40 miles away), got massively upset when best player Danny Earl walked out at the end of last season stating he wanted to play at a higher level, only to come to North Ferriby (we're a division below) and he also threatened legal action against the Ferriby fanzine View From The Allotment End after some slightly naughty content appeared in an issue and also online. Now there's every chance that we'll pass each other as we go up and his club crash miserably down. Arf.

Comment

Is he any relation to Norman Smurthwaite the berk who was at Port Vale? They sound very similar!

Comment

I thought that name seemed familiar. Don't know if they are related but Norman Smurthwaite is from Coventry whilst Peter Smurthwaite is from Hull.
                                Norman Smurthwaite was one of the prospective buyers of Scunthorpe.

Comment

Smurthwaite's full statement can be found in this article.

Comment

People who write 'yours in sport' are as bad as people who add a smiley face to their signature. Both should be shunned.

Comment

Dyche to Everton

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1620059533723799553?s=20&t=iD6Ggw-kdBEL8DUFs0ISRg

Comment

Gattuso sacked by Valencia.

Comment

Jody Morris appointed at Swindon. It's his first manager's job, having otherwise assisted Frank Lampard.

Comment

Jody Morris appointed at Swindon. It's his first manager's job, having otherwise assisted Frank Lampard.

He did really well with the Chelsea youth sides, was popular and talks a good game. Really pleased to see him get a chance .

Comment

He's been interviewed for the Swansea job I believe but we took Russell Martin from franchise. He then interviewed there but didn't get that.

Comment

Jesse's got his Marsching orders from Leeds.

Comment

The final day of last season where they stayed up and we went down will forever be a Sliding Doors moment.

Comment

Johnnie Jackson (Wimbledon) now occupies the median League position in the longevity charts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X