Natural Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Levels

So I’m in a pub in Cambridge and there are Morecambe fans here, because they’re playing Cambridge United (div 4). It’s a League One game, apparently, and that can’t be right because Morecambe are in the Unibond, right?

That’s a coincidence. Only yesterday I was musing on the fact the we must all have an idea of each team’s “right” division and they’re all slightly different.

Was there a thread where we did that? Someone will know. But you’re definitely right about Morecambe.

Comment

Hereford, Darlington and Scarborough should be in the fourth tier, and Stockport in the third.

Comment

Not if you were getting into the game before 1972, surely (Darlo excepted)?

Comment

Hereford and Scarborough are definitely non-league in my vague view of the world...

Comment

It utterly depends on when your interest in football began. For me the First Division can't be right without all the Lancashire 'B' towns in it... and Preston. It's also why I don't weep, wail and rend my garments when QPR lose. Even now "home" is really Division Three (South.) Any higher than that is a bonus.

Comment

In our view we should be top half of the third/bottom half of the second.

We've not played in the second tier for nearly 30 years and have spent 11 of the last 20 in the fourth with a detour into the Conference for a season

Comment

We are definitely bottom half of the fourth division, and therefore relegation this season doesn’t count

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                  We are definitely bottom half of the fourth division, and therefore relegation this season doesn’t count
                  Apply for reelection and see what happens. They'll never let Wigan in

Comment

Top flight, for us, obvs.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                      Top flight, for us, obvs.
                      A top flight containing some of all the unlikely teams to have enjoyed their spot in the sun in the last 50 or so years would be good:

Northampton
                      Swindon
                      Wimbledon (quite a few seasons to be fair)
                      Carlisle
                      Notts County
                      Huddersfield
                      Oldham

Others?

This would be the basis for a great league.

Comment

Barnsley and Bradford both had seasons in the Premier League.

Comment

Good additions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

A top flight containing some of all the unlikely teams to have enjoyed their spot in the sun in the last 50 or so years would be good:

Northampton
                            Swindon
                            Carlisle
                            Notts County
                            Huddersfield
                            Oldham

Others?

Reading would have been fairly improbable, and have since reverted to the mean

Comment

Luton, Orient.

Comment

Millwall (if somewhat before my time).

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  Luton, Orient.
                                  Hard to believe but Luton have been top division regulars for several seasons with considerable gaps inbetween. A bit like Fulham really.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Northampton
                                    Swindon
                                    Carlisle
                                    Notts County
                                    Huddersfield
                                    Oldham

Others?

Oxford Utd?

Comment

Bristol City.

Comment

For the first twenty-seven seasons of watching Rotherham United, our default position was mid-table tier three. In the last twenty-six years, we haven't been anywhere near that.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Hard to believe but Luton have been top division regulars for several seasons with considerable gaps inbetween. A bit like Fulham really.
                                          16 top flight seasons, more than Watford which I'm sure they still appreciate.

May I add Wigan and Hull to the list?

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                                            Bristol City.
                                            Tragically went bust in 1982 so can't happen I'm afraid

Comment

For 5 years I watched Cheltenham in non-league, then for 22 of the next 23 years I've seen us play mostly in the 4th tier, with forays into the third.

I still consider us a non-league team destined to drop down to our "natural" level at some point. That level being the 5th tier.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                Hereford and Scarborough are definitely non-league in my vague view of the world...
                                                Didn't someone fall off their roof during their first football league game? Scarborough is twinned with Cahir btw.

I'm going to always think of Charlton, luton and QPR as top flight clubs. I think the important time is about 8 years old.
                                                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 09-04-2022, 21:58.

Comment

We've been ninth in this division for so long (since the end of January), I'm starting to think this is it. That or we're this season's Shrewsbury.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X