• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article on BBC website today about football programmes

BBC website

That explains why I couldn't see any at Easter Rd last Saturday, then

Comment

Mrs Thistle sent me the link to the article this morning. It read very much like it would be news to people who don't go to football matches very often.

I would have liked an interview with a frothing collector bemoaning the loss of programmes and how it's a herald of the breakdown of civilisation. Typical BBC bias.
      Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 08-04-2022, 19:45.

Comment

I thought it was quite a good article, although it didn't mention that many non-league clubs also went on-line only over the past two or three years (although thankfully, some have since gone back to paper programmes)

Comment

Derby County have a glossy monthly magazine at a fiver a go

Comment

For most non-league clubs, the key line in that report is this one from Hanwell Town's programme editor/marketing manager...

"I know there is talk of a move towards [a] digital programme, and they are becoming a lot more popular. But I think - if you are going to produce the programme, why not print it as well?"

The answer, quite simply, is printing it costs money. And it also means finding a club volunteer to collect/receive the programmes and get them to the ground, and it also means finding a volunteer willing to sell them at the game too. For so many clubs it's an easy decision; go through the cost and hassle of the above to satisfy some groundhoppers/collectors who'll stop by your club maybe once, or not bother as the regulars you're really there for aren't that fussed.

Comment

Would be interesting to know whether this is also a trend in rugby or cricket, as much as soccer - here, the humble programme is still a mainstay for local GAA clubs, even if only a teamsheet at times at district level, while county boards produce plumper, glossier affairs for local finals and intercounty games.

Comment

Possibly more so than football. St Helens were very early movers to a digital programme, recentish matches I went to at Bradford, Newcastle and Hunslet had no programme and Hull was a monthly issue. Think Leeds still do them.
                The one T20 game I went to at Derbyshire just had a scorecard for sale.

Comment

Wakefield Trinity switched in 2019 to a local newspaper pullout and then a glossy monthly mag named after myself. It buggered my home programme collecting obsession right up, but at least it's now a finite hobby. There's no digital matchday programme.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                    The answer, quite simply, is printing it costs money. And it also means finding a club volunteer to collect/receive the programmes and get them to the ground, and it also means finding a volunteer willing to sell them at the game too. For so many clubs it's an easy decision; go through the cost and hassle of the above to satisfy some groundhoppers/collectors who'll stop by your club maybe once, or not bother as the regulars you're really there for aren't that fussed.
                    A few weeks back I went to a game where the programme was included in the entry price and basically acted as a sign that I'd paid. As the entry price was only £4 this felt like a proper bargain.

Comment

Working...
                    X