• Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Saturday Sucks

Yesterday, Saturday:
    Bayer Leverkusen 3 Arminia Bielefeld 0
    Lincoln City 0 Gillingham 2
    Eintracht Frankfurt 0 Bayern München 1

Yes, I know it's my own fault for being such a club whore - no goals and no points is what I deserve. I could also count FSV Frankfurt, who were leading 2-1 at home to bottom club Schott Mainz before conceding a 94th. minute equaliser, but I try to keep my weekend negotiations with the sporting Gods to just the three teams to keep things simple. These negotiations go as follows: so as not to be too greedy, I agree to one victory, one draw and one defeat. Depending on the league tables and the teams' needs, I'll allocate the results in their preferred order. So this past weekend I'd have settled for Bielefeld losing (they've had a good run of late, plus they're definitely third out of three in terms of priorities), a Lincoln win (need to keep clear of the relegation spots) and a draw for Eintracht, that being about as much as you can hope for against Bayern as we used up all our luck against them with the 2-1 away win last autumn.

But the fucking Gods didn't stick to their side of the deal and that's just plain unfair. I'll be demanding three wins as compensation next weekend.

Been there with defeats for Rotherham, Wealdstone, Wembley and Arbroath on the same day. Upsetting, isn't it.

Comment

Had more than a few this season where Shrewsbury and Barry have lost, and then I go looking for my mate's teams and they've all lost too.

Comment

Sunday sucks too. My team equalised in added time but still managed to concede again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          Been there with defeats for Rotherham, Wealdstone, Wembley and Arbroath on the same day. Upsetting, isn't it.
          Arbroath - wasn't aware of your connection to that particular outpost, but it's good to follow a Scottish team starting with A, like Alloa. I've had a soft spot for Albion Rovers ever since going there in 2018, and have a nice woollen hat and a replica shirt to illustrate my sparse, part-time loyalty at a great distance. At the weekend they picked up a useful away point at Stranraer, but of course they failed to score.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Sunday sucks too. My team equalised in added time but still managed to concede again.
            That's the worst form of cruelty and it should be outlawed*. My sympathies.

* Law 18: "If a team scores the winner/equaliser in injury time, then the game's over as it's too cruel to fans to have the joy of a late injury time winner/equaliser cancelled out by an even later injury time winner/equaliser. Unless it's your team that's conceded, in which case play continues."

Comment

Two draws for me, against the bottom team and second-from-bottom.

Comment

I had a 'current home town vs team i grew up supporting derby' on Saturday, all the more accentuated by the fact that they started the day occupying the top two places in the league. Current home won 3-0 and have probably sewn up the league title, but I missed it because I was working. In all honesty, at this precise moment in human history, I couldn't give less of a damn.

Comment

I tried not giving a damn, but it didn't work. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Comment

The last ten years have sucked when your two footballing loves begin with Sunde and Depor. Both currently in the process of throwing it away again in the third flight ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                      The last ten years have sucked when your two footballing loves begin with Sunde and Depor. Both currently in the process of throwing it away again in the third flight ffs.
                      And Torino lost at home to Cagliari ffs.

Comment

The other fun variant is when your partner is also a football fan and both your teams lose, leaving a general pall of misery over the house (a very common phenomenon in our house in recent years). Very unusually, on Saturday just gone both of our teams recorded 3-0 wins. Absolute scenes, as they say.

Comment

I try not to think about it too much..... there's unlikely ever to be a weekend when Dundalk, Liverpool and my two boys' teams all win, so I'll happily do a deal with some arbitrary non-existent deity- the other three can get relegated as long as Dundalk do the biz.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

And Torino lost at home to Cagliari ffs.
                            Yeah but they’re firmly midtable last time I looked. I also see St Etienne and Standard Liege are letting themselves down. Ive have recently been watching a lot of St Albans who at one point could’ve possibly been promoted by now if they’d won their games in hand, something like 6-8 they had and were still in the play off positions.
                            I see Charlotte are entering the MLS this year…….hmmmmm. I’ve no dog in the fight over there yet but could be persuaded to throw my lot in with then as Detroit seem unlikely to be MLS members.

Comment

This weekend would have been the same for me except Fortuna scraped a goalless draw, which at least keeps them top of the mini-table scuffling to avoid the playoff relegation spot, currently contested with Dynamo, Sandhausen, and Hansa.

Comment

Not good for sure. QPR went from the euphoria of a midweek 85th minute winner with ten-men on Wednesday, to perhaps our worst performance of the season losing 0-1 at Blackburn. We looked totally shagged out. Meanwhile Hitchin, who've been propping up the Southern League Central all season managed a 1-0 victory against fellow strugglers Biggleswade. Small mercies I suspect.

Comment

I've had a few dismal weekends recently but this was a good one with Gladbach fighting back for a point, Napoli going top with a stunning 94th minute winner at Lazio, United spoiling the SirAlex party and even Elgin managing a win.
                                  The point at Pittodrie didnt look quite such a good result by the end of the weekend but I'd have to say satisfied with that, Brian.

Comment

Friday night: Bielefeld 0 Augsburg 1. Here we go again. I decided to abandon the Gods and instead try the policy of not following either the Lincoln or the Eintracht game on Saturday afternoon, which was easy because I was out reffing. But between games where I was officiating, the club secretary announced over the intercom that with 20 minutes to go, Frankfurt were 3-1 up (the inconsiderate bastard didn't bother telling us the Lincoln v Sheffield Wednesday score). Still time for us to fuck that up, I thought, but it was all fine. 4-1 win for Frankfurt in Berlin, 3-1 for Lincoln. Definite payback for the last few weeks of goal-drought. But have I used up too many allocated goals in one weekend? Surely we should have held three of these goals back for future weekends?

Comment

Rotherham lost, Wealdstone lost, Wembley lost, Penrith lost, Arbroath won, Rayners Lane and Cricklewood Wanderers didn't appear to play...

Comment

Well Friday bleeding sucked anyway. Rovers beat Bohs 1.0 in the Dublin derby, got back to the pub to find out that Mansfield's long unbeaten run came to an end against Tranmere.

It's not likely to get any better, with the Manchester United clown car facing Kane and Son, Torino's aimless mid table plod unlikely to discomfort Inter much, and Dublin Gaelic footballers having relegation confirmed against All Ireland champions Tyrone.

Comment

Huge win for Wednesday, United got thumped, Parkgate won again and keep their play off bid going, Swallownest got a useful and unexpected away point, Hallam won the big promotion showdown. Had worse footballing Saturdays.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

It's not likely to get any better, with the Manchester United clown car facing Kane and Son,
                                            Relax just a little.

Comment

Rotherham goal-free, Wealdstone win after being behind, Wembley lost at home to a place that appears to exist for Tory golfers, Penrith failed to lose and longeared pretty much wrapped up the relevant South Yorkshire non-league stuff.

Comment

Missed Arbroath's defeat on Saturday. Bugger. (The result, I mean.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  A particularly bad one yesterday. Big defeats for Rotherham and Arbroath, a last minute defeat for Wembley and a defeat on penalties in the Trophy quarters for Wealdstone...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X