One-sided valleys - matchgoing 26 November - 2 December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

Cheers, no I live up on the coast, but had planned to get off the train at Llanrwst and walk the rest of the way. I was at Llanrwst for a game at the start of November mind... similarly nice spot to watch football... when they're not playing loudmouthed opponents from Wrexham.
    Thanks UP.

Comment

Staines Town 0 Basingstoke Town 1
      Isthmian League Division One South Central
      Att: 124

Wheatsheaf Park created a favourable impression, with a modern, raised and steeply raked 300 seat stand offering excellent views of the pitch. The low covered terrace opposite proclaims 'Welcome to Staines Town' and a friendly welcome indeed it was.

The programme had a photo on the cover of Staines' oldest former player, Ken Dix, who died recently aged 98, which was a nice touch.

In 2019 Staines lost 10-3 away to Basingstoke, having lead 2-1 at one point. This game was mostly dreadful, and 95% Basingstoke. No wonder the good people of Staines didn't bother to turn up in vast numbers to watch 19th (and bottom) v 3rd. In the 63rd minute the away team finally broke the deadlock with a scrappy goal as the wind whipped up. With a big injury list and the best players sold it's going to be a real struggle for the Swans this season.

Comment

Monday - Litherland REMYCA 1-2 Padiham (North West Counties Premier Division)

Litherland are having a bad season and currently lie well adrift at the bottom of the division. Things have been made more difficult by having had to play their last few home games at Bootle, due to storm damage to their own ground. Having been to Litherland's ground I'm not entirely sure what the damage is, as I can't think of anything there that couldn't be repaired by a couple of people in an afternoon. They took the lead in this game but Padiham, who aren't having a great season themselves, came from behind to take the points. Spent the game chatting to a couple of other local hoppers, all of us saying that we probably wouldn't have bothered if the game had actually been at Litherland.

Tuesday - Southport 1-1 Darlington (FA Trophy)

Horrible conditions for this game, postponed from Saturday. As is usual in such weather, the worst of the pitch was towards the 'Brick End with the ball being held up by standing water. Southport took an early lead, Archer turning in an excellent cross from Watson. We had chances to extend the lead, hitting the bar twice, but Darlington equalised on the hour when's we gave one of their players far too much space. The closing stages were tense as Southport went close on several times, making some good use of the soggy pitch. Trophy matches now go straight to penalties, and Tony McMillan's save of the visitors second was ultimately the difference maker. We now travel to Farsley in the next round.

Comment

Out on a run earlier I went past Royston Town's ground. There was clearly going to be a game on this evening. I thought I should check out who it was and if it was the 1sts grab a quick shower and go seeing as I didn't have any other plans. But when I got home I clean forgot about the idea until just now.

Obviously this is posted in the wrong thread. But as far as I'm aware we don't have a Not Matchgoing Through Extreme Doziness thread.

[it was the Men's 1sts, though it was League Cup game rather than a League fixture. They beat St. Neots 2-1, all the goals coming in the last 20 minutes]

Comment

Tonbridge Angels 0 St Albans City 0
            National League South

The scoreline tells the story. This really wasn't a very good game at all.

Tonbridge played with a lack of confidence befitting a team that hadn't won in five league games and St Albans were a shadow of the team that I had enjoyed watching in their cup win over Forest Green. The only player that caught the eye for Tonbridge was veteran Grenada international Ricky Modeste and he created their best chance with a superb cross that was predictably wasted by one of his inept teammates. A match that neither team deserved to win.

After a longish journey and a dire game, I had to take consolation in some personal stats. This was my 225th ground and my first 6th tier game of the year meaning that I've seen a match in each of the top ten tiers this season. And on a negative note, my run of games without a 0-0 ends in single figures - just 9 matches.

Comment

Southport Zeb - I think the worst damage to Litherland sports park was big gouges in the pitch caused by the metal covers from the long jump pits being blown across the playing surface. The dugouts got shattered too but I imagine they're easier fixed.

Comment

Thanks - that makes sense.

Another Trophy match for me this evening, between Ashton United and Guiseley. This had already been postponed twice, on Saturday and Tuesday, and had the early pitch inspection today had a negative result, the match would have still taken place this evening, but at Guiseley. Ashton took the lead on five minutes and thought they had a penalty shortly after - the referee disagreed and instead showed a yellow card for simulation. Guiseley got going after that and equalised on the half hour. The visitors remained on top in the second half and took a served lead midway through the period, but were reduced to ten shortly after and ended up having to hold on as Ashton went close to an equaliser on a number of occasions.

This was my first visit to Hurst Cross since 2003. I'm not sure why it's been so long as it's a great little ground - I'll certainly try to make sure I don't leave it until 2039 for my next trip here.

Comment

Spurs 2 Brentford 0
                  Premier League

After a welcome three points with one of our worst performances of the season against Everton, it was back down to earth last night. It was the definition of a routine win for Spurs achieved without getting out of third gear.

Granted, it was an unfortunate own goal that gave Spurs a half-time lead but as Brentford tried to push forward, but a second goal on the break was always on the cards particularly given the mismatch between Canos and Reguillon. Very few positives for Brentford apart from Fernandes' performance in goal and bright substitute appearances from Baptiste and Jensen.

What really concerns me are the physical demands on a depleted squad of an 8 match December. The players looked out on their feet at the end and I'm not looking forward to the Leeds game in just 3 days' time.

Comment

Working...
                  X